Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-14-2017, 10:02 AM

Default Buck lake

Taking my kids to Buck Lake for the first time today. We have a boat and I just want them to get into some fish. Any hints on depths would be appreciated. Thanks for your help. I do have a finder and will be looking for structure. Thanks guys
Old 08-14-2017, 02:24 PM

We were out there a week ago. It's pretty green but the walleye were on pretty good along the west side off the points in 15 or so feet maybe a little deeper. I was fishin deep for whites and picked up a few wallies in the 25 foot range but no need to fish that deep for them especially with kids. Evenings were better. Leeches or minnows. Pike are everywhere deep and shallow. Good luck trying to get a 50 cm wallie. Scarce as unicorns.
Old 08-14-2017, 02:52 PM

Any keeper pike?
Old 08-14-2017, 04:46 PM

Yes. Nothing huge but keepers. Just trolling 10 ft or so or get em while jiggin for wallies.
Old 08-14-2017, 05:48 PM

Default Algae

Blue algae warning just came out for that Buck lake.
Old 08-14-2017, 06:20 PM

Yes indeed watch the algae boys especially when you're going there to get a keeper.

Even if you catch the fish in an area that looks somewhat clear of algae, odds are that fish has been eating something that has been living in the algae. Besides the waters warm enough in that lake right now you're not missing out on much meat wise.

You might find a couple keeper pike at Battle Lake which is not far, the kids will have a ton of fun there with non stop walleye action. Though you need tags for the Eyes there remember. I don't think Battle has been hit with algae this summer, just checked the advisory's while writing this post and yeah you're good to go there.

Good luck and tight lines!
Old 08-14-2017, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSR Fisher View Post
Yes indeed watch the algae boys especially when you're going there to get a keeper.

Even if you catch the fish in an area that looks somewhat clear of algae, odds are that fish has been eating something that has been living in the algae. Besides the waters warm enough in that lake right now you're not missing out on much meat wise.

You might find a couple keeper pike at Battle Lake which is not far, the kids will have a ton of fun there with non stop walleye action. Though you need tags for the Eyes there remember. I don't think Battle has been hit with algae this summer, just checked the advisory's while writing this post and yeah you're good to go there.

Good luck and tight lines!
I think they quit issuing tags for battle.
Old 08-14-2017, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
I think they quit issuing tags for battle.
You're probably right. My bad. Still, its fun just catching them sometimes especially for the little ones. :-)
Old 08-14-2017, 08:33 PM

Ate my whites and 2 pike we got in buck last week and we are still alive. The pike in battle are skinny wormy little piranhas. If you get one over 63 he will be as big around as your thumb. I will be at buck this week. I think algae was invented at buck lake. Been fishing it for 25 years hasn't changed a bit. Some winters it's gin clear. Go figure. Go fish.
Old 08-15-2017, 12:28 AM

deep for whites?
Old 08-15-2017, 08:20 AM

Yep. Out in the main basin 25 or 30 ft. Used a bottom bouncer to get down and electric motor to slow troll. It was calm which made it a little easier to finesse and my new lowrance certainly helped. We only got 6 in two days and they were 2.5 to 4 lbs so not the big ones but smoked them and they were deelish.
Old 08-17-2017, 12:02 PM

lol algae wasn't invented back when i posted about all the dead whitefish
i was there and seen all the blue green algae i called it in they went and tested the
water and the results were positive for blue green algae
they notified me when they got the results back and posted the warning
i work in water and waste water and have seen it before the warning is a good thing
when it's present u can still eat the fish but need to be aware of the algae blooms we seen it the most prominent on the north west end and from the small bay before the alder flats fish and game area they to the provincial camp at the boat launch entrance it was most visible from 15 feet of water to shore that day we didn't notice it the day before but we were also tubing out in the middle and not trolling slow in the shallower waters to see it
Old 08-17-2017, 09:19 PM

Yup you bet. I don't drink the water I just catch the fish and if they are legal I keep and eat the odd one. Thanks again for the concern...