Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-18-2017, 02:47 PM

Default Stealing is one thing but to potentially kill....really?

what a bad couple weeks,first the truck was broken into lost 4 grand worth of fishing gear gone, what ever stupid me for leaving it in the truck ,thank god for insurance.Two days after that alomost lost my fingers on a table saw ( lost the tips of two fingers , that hurt)Holidays started yesterday arrived at the happy place only to find my shed and trailer broken into, again thousands lost and another insurance claim but to cut a guys gas line that went to an outdoor rvq grill right at the tee and open up the propane valve .......wtf so was 8" pc of copper really worth it? I think not, why would anybody go to the trouble of cutting the line unless they were wanting to blow up the trailer or my family to pcs.Im not sure how easily that would of happened but my furnace is in striking range.I must say thank god for the kid picking up on the smell as the wife an i are all stuffed upped and plugged.Thought i would share this as i know the red deer area is bad for theft but the gas line thing is just plain scary.
Old 08-18-2017, 03:11 PM

Consequences seem to be one thing that thieves, and criminals in general, seem to disregard. It's scary how little concern for others some people have.
Old 08-18-2017, 03:11 PM

Just a post to say happy to hear you guys are ok. That is insane.
Old 08-18-2017, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
Consequences seem to be one thing that thieves, and criminals in general, seem to disregard. It's scary how little concern for others some people have.
There are no consequences, that's why they do it.

Grizz
Old 08-18-2017, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
There are no consequences, that's why they do it.

Grizz
Well no consequences for the thief, but that's not what I was talking about.
Old 08-18-2017, 04:58 PM

Sorry to hear about your bad fortune. I hope some big things go your way in the near future. Brutal.
Old 08-18-2017, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
Well no consequences for the thief, but that's not what I was talking about.
Well, every once in a while, Somebody cuts the wrong wire. Similar one happened in Calgary. these people are obviously not the brightest.

https://www.thestar.com/news/crime/2...olice_say.html

Grizz
Old 08-18-2017, 07:17 PM

there is miles of groundwire stolen from oil and gas sites , each time it potentially puts lives at risk . the ground wire is there because of the electrical code . but the courts dont seem to think this is an issue for the few thieves that are caught .
sorry about your luck but it could of been a lot worst .
Old 08-18-2017, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Sorry to hear about your bad fortune. I hope some big things go your way in the near future. Brutal.
X2
Old 08-19-2017, 08:21 AM

Sorry for the string of bad luck. Glad the family is ok and you still have fingers.

I am pretty naive at this stuff, but how do thieves sell the copper after it's stolen? I would have thought you need to be registered or something to sell?
Old 08-19-2017, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Western View Post
Sorry for the string of bad luck. Glad the family is ok and you still have fingers.

I am pretty naive at this stuff, but how do thieves sell the copper after it's stolen? I would have thought you need to be registered or something to sell?
Supposedly, salvage yards are supposed to keep records and report suspicious activities , but there's a dollar to be made , so a blind eye seems to be the rule.

Grizz
Old 08-19-2017, 08:40 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brslk View Post
x2
+ 1 !!!
Old 08-19-2017, 08:49 AM

Man, that is more than your 3 bads in a row. Hope it gets better starting today and stays that way.
Old 08-19-2017, 09:13 AM
Banned

Thats a terrible run of bad luck buddy. I'm hoping you get some good fortune soon.
Old 08-19-2017, 09:32 AM
Banned

Man that sucks, especially about your fingers.

First off we have to make drug trafficking a life sentence without parole. All these thieves have rotted brains from meth and fentanyl. These drugs destroy lives so I firmly believe that the dealers should be jailed for life or simply executed.

Drugs are the root of 90% of thefts, and when someone has a rotted out brain they don't have the mental capacity for any foresight into potential consequences of their actions. Gas lines, car chases, whacked out and killing someone, they just don't have the mental capacity to realize the consequences.
Old 08-19-2017, 10:02 AM

Thanks for the kind words guys it's been a couple interesting weeks for sure, i just hope to never here a situation where a trailer blows and people are inside because of 25 cent pc of copper.Cheers everyone and enjoy the rest of the summer.
Old 08-19-2017, 10:34 AM

Sorry to hear of your misfortune. They say trouble comes in threes. You're past the worst. Better times to come Marty.

Regarding your finger injury....glad you didn't loose them. Speedy recovery to you.

I remember hearing about one guy that lopped all of his fingers off while in the woods alone and he said the worst part was he couldn't pick them up.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 08-19-2017, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty1 View Post
what a bad couple weeks,first the truck was broken into lost 4 grand worth of fishing gear gone, what ever stupid me for leaving it in the truck ,thank god for insurance.Two days after that alomost lost my fingers on a table saw ( lost the tips of two fingers , that hurt)Holidays started yesterday arrived at the happy place only to find my shed and trailer broken into, again thousands lost and another insurance claim but to cut a guys gas line that went to an outdoor rvq grill right at the tee and open up the propane valve .......wtf so was 8" pc of copper really worth it? I think not, why would anybody go to the trouble of cutting the line unless they were wanting to blow up the trailer or my family to pcs.Im not sure how easily that would of happened but my furnace is in striking range.I must say thank god for the kid picking up on the smell as the wife an i are all stuffed upped and plugged.Thought i would share this as i know the red deer area is bad for theft but the gas line thing is just plain scary.
Sounds like those crooks have got some real issues!
Old 08-19-2017, 11:25 AM

Hopefully we get legislation and a judiciary that helps us either deal with criminals ourselves or keeps them locked up where they should be, as for your table saw accident that didn't need to happen at all. These saws are available at Lee Valley Tools and KMS Tools:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8EX7mt3ByE