Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 01-20-2017, 09:07 PM

Default How young is too young?

My boy is turning 4 right away, and is into anything outdoors. He pretends to shoot a pretend bow all the time, so we were thinking of getting one for him. Any feedback if 4 is too young? What style of bow would be best?
Old 01-20-2017, 09:10 PM

Default My 4 year olds shoot

A little plastic bow. Bear makes them. They will grow out of it.

http://www.beararchery.com/bows/youth/1st-shot
Old 01-20-2017, 09:18 PM
Banned

I've had a bow since I was 6 it was a plastic one bows now are so much better and more options then 20 years ago
Old 01-20-2017, 09:21 PM
Banned

I predict the sibblings or the the pets will be skewered
Old 01-20-2017, 10:20 PM
Banned

4 is a great age. Like it has been said before, get him a cheaper one to start with. Make them aware that is is not a toy so they can only use it with supervision.
Old 01-20-2017, 10:20 PM

I started all my kids at 3 with those little bear bows .
Old 01-20-2017, 10:26 PM
Banned

If you have a child that is interested in experiencing something and you have the tools and time to aid in that experience go for it!!!!!
Old 01-20-2017, 11:29 PM

My boy has an entry-level compound bow his uncle bought him. he's giving it his best everyday! We have an arrow stop set up in the basement for him, he shoots ok. We let him play(supervised) whenever he wants. He's 7 now
Old 01-21-2017, 12:22 AM

When I was young I took twigs and bale twine and made my own bow and arrows. Didn't take long until I got a nice yellow plastic one.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk
Old 01-21-2017, 07:43 AM

Depends on your son, my son is 5 and high functioning autism, when ive taken him fishing hes set the hook and landed fish no problem, when it comes to archery he is showing a huge interest in it but im waiting to the summer for when hes almost six due to his level of understanding and the potential for injury.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 01-21-2017, 12:46 PM

I bought my 4 Year old daughter the bear archery 1st shot for Xmas this year. She is pretty pumped to shoot her bow like her dad. She has been shooting imaginary deer with her imaginary bow since I bought my first bow. She has helped me butcher my deer and moose this year.
IMO the younger the better. Teach them how to safely and properly use the bow right off the get go.
Old 01-21-2017, 01:09 PM

No one can really answer such a question as it depends on the child and parents and situation. I think 4 or 5yrs old is fine for a beginner bow. Once he proves responsible with that, upgrade to BB gun, a full year without incident with that, his own .22 (use with parent present) and so on. I think I was about 12 before I got full use but again each kid will be different. When I was about 12 my Dad would fly me out into the bush to spend the weekend by myself, confident I'd be there when he flew back to pick me up on his rounds. Should every 11yr old be expected to make camp for a week with what he has in a backpack? Of course not but lots can, depends on the kid and parents.

I think I was about 5yrs old when I started going with Dad checking traps and getting to shoot with a .22 any that looked "too fresh". Had a nice little plastic bow by then.
Old 08-04-2017, 05:40 PM

I know this thread goes back a bit but was wondering how you made out if you got your kid a bow as I am looking for one for my son who is turning 5 in November. I was looking at the Mathews mini genesis. Any advice or tips?
Old 08-04-2017, 08:15 PM

I picked up a little recurve for him. He has a ton of fun with It, but we have to limit our range time as he gets a bit bored after 20 minutes or so. The bow I got was at wholesale sports, and it has a whisker biskit rest built into the riser of the bow. Safest option I have ever saw. No chance of arrows falling off the rest.
Old 08-04-2017, 10:04 PM

Started my son on a wooden toy bow bought in Banff , a little conversion and it was good to go for him. The thing I would say is make whatever he is shooting at super close so he has fun hitting it, and show a lot of enthusiasm for him. Good luck!
Old 08-05-2017, 06:42 PM

Thanks guys! Yea I have a cheap little recurve but has no real rest. The arrow just sits on top of the handle but the arrow falls off a lot. He is getting ok with it but would like something with a whisker biscuit like you say. Will go to Wholesale and have a look
Old 08-05-2017, 08:40 PM

As a couple guys have already said, no one can tell you if your son is too young it depends. Out of my two boys one started a couple years you get with bows and guns as his attention span and ability to follow safety instructions weren't up to my liking.

As far as what bow to get I agree Bear has some options, so does Diamond, have a look at the sub atomic and the Hoyt ruckus Jr.

Have fun!!