Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-14-2017, 06:33 PM

Default River Boating the Smoky River

Good day!

Does anyone have information from experience for jet boating on the Smoky River? I am looking at putting in off of the Canfor Rd S of GP and going up river approx 80kms or 50miles.

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-14-2017, 07:18 PM

Better make sure you can launch there. Only seen boats launching under HWY 43 east of GP. Muddy banks to the south?
Old 08-15-2017, 07:03 AM

Lots of good running up. A group of us ran from Grande Cash hiway down to Peace River but there is some extreme running near the top end. They used to race up there and there are still parts of boats in the trees here and there. If you run from the bottom you can always turn around if it gets too rough.
Old 08-15-2017, 07:17 AM

I have seen people put boats in off the Canfor road on the east side of the Smokey and seen them run up river. Still quiet a bit of water running.
Old 08-17-2017, 09:35 PM

Sounds good. I'll let y'all know how it goes! Thanks for the responses

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-17-2017, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by husky hunter View Post
Lots of good running up. A group of us ran from Grande Cash hiway down to Peace River but there is some extreme running near the top end. They used to race up there and there are still parts of boats in the trees here and there. If you run from the bottom you can always turn around if it gets too rough.

I'll be looking at going approx 80kms upriver from the Canfor. 50 some km downriver of sheep creek coming in. Do you recall where abouts the extreme section was as far as distance from Grande Cache?

Old 08-17-2017, 10:12 PM
Banned

The canfor is going to be closed at the 2-50 tracks during the day. Might want to find out the times.
Yes there is supposed to be a boat launch at the flats or there's a boat launch sign there.
Old 08-18-2017, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwest Alta View Post
The canfor is going to be closed at the 2-50 tracks during the day. Might want to find out the times.

Yes there is supposed to be a boat launch at the flats or there's a boat launch sign there.

Thanks I will look into that.

Old 08-18-2017, 09:27 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bustercrk View Post
Thanks I will look into that.

I don't know the canfor road number but it'll probably be on the googler.
Old 08-18-2017, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bustercrk View Post
I'll be looking at going approx 80kms upriver from the Canfor. 50 some km downriver of sheep creek coming in. Do you recall where abouts the extreme section was as far as distance from Grande Cache?

As long as you don't go too far past the Kakwa, about 20 KLM, it is pretty tame. After that, depending on the water flow, there get to be progressively more challenging spots. As someone else said however, it is easy to turn around of it gets too rough.
Old 08-18-2017, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwest Alta View Post
The canfor crosses the smokey at km2-56. They have already done the bridge inspection for the year. And I haven't heard of any closures and our company is bringing in some big process skids in the next or so.
Old 08-18-2017, 10:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by smith88 View Post
The canfor crosses the smokey at km2-56. They have already done the bridge inspection for the year. And I haven't heard of any closures and our company is bringing in some big process skids in the next or so.
2-50 tracks come before the smokey bridge. They're doing work on rail crossing so road is supposed to be closed during the day. Nothing to do with the bridge.