Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-14-2023, 04:12 PM

If you can't decide and you only one rifle i would be looking between light calibers and heavy calibers like the 30-06 . You can shot light rounds and heavy rounds . And whats nice about is you can find amo for it in any store .
And its an easy riffle to sell when your done with it .
Old 11-14-2023, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
I would buy a Tikka in a 6.5x55. I had one and regret selling it. My buddy just bought one for his 12 year old son. I had forgot what a joy they are to shoot and how accurate they are.
Absolutely!
Old 11-14-2023, 05:59 PM

So many choices that all work. I expect we have all gone through this, its half the fun, trying to find the perfect cartridge.

By my count I've had 6 different center fire catridges that I have hunted with. Surprisingly they all killed stuff. Some were absolutely nasty beasts to shoot, some were mild. Now I only have 4 left in the safe, and the 2 magnums rarely come out. The 7mm08 and .338 Federal do everything I want without hurting me (arthritis sucks). The .243 is great, if it was me, I'd add a 7mm08 to that, but I'm partial to a short action. Easy to load, readily available, and it works.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone

Last edited by Twisted Canuck; 11-15-2023 at 10:48 AM.
Old 11-14-2023, 06:41 PM

Quote:
The purse is nice to have alright but from the guys I’ve talked to that have the 6.5 CM there legs get cold while wearing a dress hunting.
The creedmore is the new 7mm 08.
Old 11-14-2023, 06:47 PM

6.5 Creedmore will work on deer, elk, moose and bear. Shot placement is more important than the cartridge in this case as is in every case.

Last edited by Athabasca1; 11-14-2023 at 07:07 PM.
Old 11-14-2023, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by overhere View Post
So, I'm stuck can't decide, I have a 243 love the caliber but it's going to my son as his first gun , now I'm stuck between 25-06 and 6.5 creedmoor, not wanting a 308 just don't like the round and not looking for a rifle with a kick that's why I love the 243 , also not going to put a break on the gun .
Not shooting long range 400 at most and only hunting rifle, only some plinking

What do all you have to say about it,

The rifle will come once caliber is picked
I own a 6.5 creedmoor, Barrett Feildcraft, and a 7mm-08, Kimber Montana, currently. The Kimber seems to handle the "recoil" better, probably in the stock design. Recoil in both are fairly mild for lightweight rifles.

So I wouldn't just choose a cartridge based on recoil alone, but more on how the gun may handles it.

6.5 has a way more factory ammo offerings then the 25-06. One of the reasons I bought it, as I don't have a ton of time to reload anymore. I have also owned a 25.06 in a nice semi custom...kind of regret selling that one.

I would say get the 6.5 Creedmoor but choose a good rifle offering.
Old 11-14-2023, 07:27 PM

I have had both.

I had 2 differnt creedmoors. The one I couldn't get to group at all, like 4 moa lol, the other one was the easiest load development I have ever done, and a legit 5 shot 1/2 moa or less rifle.

The 270 was a good rifle and a little nostalgic as I like Jack o'connor.

Currently I have neither but am looking at another creedmoor just because I have more loading components left-over. Really they are both really good.

Recoil wise on both the same platforms the creedmoor will recoil a bit less. And companies are offering more bullet selection. There are a few heavy 270 bullets that just came out that look interesting.

Before the 6.5 creedmoor it was always the 308 vs 270 debate. The creedmoor recoils a bit less then the 308 and has a better SD bullet. Not that most of us would actually realize if we are honest. On paper the 6.5 is an easier gun to put on target, thus the popularity.

Get the gun you want. Flip a coin and hunt in the ethic range for them and they both will fill your freezer.
Old 11-14-2023, 08:07 PM

Thanks guys for all the insights,
Thinking like some have said why change what has worked for me , been thinking I'll take the kid out and let him pick a 243 and I'll keep mine , it will get him a start and get him hunting .
Old 11-14-2023, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeride View Post
I have had both.

I had 2 differnt creedmoors. The one I couldn't get to group at all, like 4 moa lol, the other one was the easiest load development I have ever done, and a legit 5 shot 1/2 moa or less rifle.

Currently I have neither but am looking at another creedmoor just because I have more loading components left-over. Really they are both really good.

Recoil wise on both the same platforms the creedmoor will recoil a bit less. And companies are offering more bullet selection. There are a few heavy 270 bullets that just came out that look interesting.

Before the 6.5 creedmoor it was always the 308 vs 270 debate. The creedmoor recoils a bit less then the 308 and has a better SD bullet. Not that most of us would actually realize if we are honest. On paper the 6.5 is an easier gun to put on target, thus the popularity.

Get the gun you want. Flip a coin and hunt in the ethic range for them and they both will fill your freezer.
Great post
Old 11-15-2023, 12:20 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by overhere View Post
Thanks guys for all the insights,
Thinking like some have said why change what has worked for me , been thinking I'll take the kid out and let him pick a 243 and I'll keep mine , it will get him a start and get him hunting .
Now that sounds great.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-15-2023, 09:40 AM

I bought a smaller caliber for deer hunting [use 338 for moose/elk], my first one was a Parker Hale 243, then I upgraded to a Sako A7 25-06, and then upgraded again so now I own a 6.5 CM in Sako Finnlight.

They were all good for the purpose, lower power and recoil. The only reason I bought the Creedmore was because it was sold to me brand new and tax free.

My advise is pick your rifle first for fit, then budget and quality of the firearm. And then choose the caliber you like, the caliber is probably the least important if you are hunting for smaller game animals. Personally I wouldn't choose a light caliber for elk or moose, they will work but clearly aren't the best tool for the job. Sort of like splitting firewood with a hatchet vs a splitting maul.
Old 11-15-2023, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lund17 View Post
I agree with you on the muzzle break, I would never get one either. Have you considered a 30-06? It's pretty hard to beat for an all around calibre. Of if you have a 243 and loved it, get another one.

I don't own a 6.5 Creedmoor and I am not going too. One look on the internet for used guns and there is a pile of 6.5 Creedmoor's for sale. That tells me there is a lot of buyers remorse with that calibre.

Sounds like a lot of guys that cant either shoot or work up a load...or both.
1/2 moa with 147 gr ELDM @ 300 meters is like putting shoes on. The people that "hate a caliber" react mostly because the Creed got its tires pumped so much by a bunch of smart ass writers and then other fools started bashing it and the un informed jumped on the bandwagon.
Target shooting or hunting it's a decent caliber.
Old 11-15-2023, 10:47 AM

I guess if you like low recoil the creed is fine but since the 6.5 PRC came out I’m not sure why you would buy the creed.
Old 11-15-2023, 11:05 AM

Quote:
I guess if you like low recoil the creed is fine but since the 6.5 PRC came out I’m not sure why you would buy the creed.
There are so many 6.5 cartridges that push a 140 grain bullet close to the same speed that it boggles the mind
One is really no better than the other on a 300 yard deer, I know because I have used a truck load of them over tgyears , some bigger, some smaller , the results were always the same .
Cat
Old 11-15-2023, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
6.5 Creedmoor would get my vote. If there are so many on the used market, my guess is that would simply be a reflection of the incredible number of rifles sold in that chambering over the last decade.

Sent from my MP24 using Tapatalk
My bet is that there are a lot more Swede 6,5x55 currently in use around the globe than there will ever be Creeds. The fact that it is relegated to the Bottom of the pile by most US published loading manuals and Magazine Editors because of it's age and birthplace doesn't make it obsolete. It's some the rifles they were chambered in at the time is what caused that ..not the cartridge itself.

A 65x55 Swede cartridge , loaded to modern pressures , with modern powders and projecties in modern rifles will do more than hold its own against all others in it's class, plus it will handle 160 gr projectiles with ease. It's stellar reputation as a BG cartridge was based on them. But, it isn't an original American cartridge which is a real bonus for the Creedmoor here in its native land. The Swede is now a century or so old and is still ahead of the pack when it comes to overall performance and efficiency.

Not at all knocking the Creed, but as a cartridge in and of itself, it can't do what the Swede was bred to do, and will continue to do for many more decades. It is what it is.
Old 11-16-2023, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lund17 View Post
I agree with you on the muzzle break, I would never get one either. Have you considered a 30-06? It's pretty hard to beat for an all around calibre. Of if you have a 243 and loved it, get another one.

I don't own a 6.5 Creedmoor and I am not going too. One look on the internet for used guns and there is a pile of 6.5 Creedmoor's for sale. That tells me there is a lot of buyers remorse with that calibre.
The percentage of rifles sold in Canada over the past three years that were chambered in 6.5CM would account for more used rifles chambered in this calibre. I wouldn't read too much into the used rifle market.
Old 11-16-2023, 11:47 AM

A guy could pick a cartridge by throwing a dart at a board and commit to that cartridge and kill every game species in the province with it.

IMO what's way more important is starting off with a quality rifle. Spend some time watching reviews of entry level rifles and how they compare to each other. Some just aren't made to shoot better than like 4-5 MOA. Which is fine if you're shooting deer at 70 yards from a stable shooting platform. But you want to give a kid the best chance of success.
Old 11-16-2023, 01:41 PM

I bought a 6.5CM a couple years ago. A Tikka T3X Superlite that shoots 3/4 MOA with factory ammo.

I bought it because it's as capable as many chamberings, has a broad amount of ammo available for it almost everywhere, long barrel life, and very minimal recoil, particularly with a brake.

Now that I'm set up reloading and have since added additional rifles to my quiver, I still appreciate the 6.5CM's, low powder cost, ability to use SRPs in a time of particularly LRP shortage, and long barrel life make it an excellent chambering for a rifle to put lots of rounds down range with.

The D- measuring match and insults tabled surrounding it are ridiculous. Capable in the field and the range, cheap to run, mild to shoot, available... you don't like it? Get something else and enjoy it!
Old 11-16-2023, 03:59 PM

Default Oops

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeride View Post
I have had both.

For a second there I thought you wrote hunt in the ethnic range. I was thinking this guy must be quite the cannibal. I am a caucasian and we are tough and stringy, meats a bit sour tasting as well so I would suggest another ethnic group. Unless your a trophy hunter then alls fair in love and war (my wife says I am quite the tropy).

I kid kid hope this post is taken in the spirit of humor.
Old 11-18-2023, 10:56 AM

Reload?

I was going to buy a swede 20 years ago based on all the stats for a second rifle when my first 06 was nine hours away. Decided against it for compatibility and lack of remote stores that would have shells. Went with the second 30-06.

Brother upgraded his to 30-06 as he lost faith in the 243 for knock down power. This sometime after no 1 of mine as he liked those options mentioned above.

So with 3 rifles in 30-06 when my daughter got her own rifle last year we went with a 30-06 as well. She being 16 then and larger frame i didmt think of the recoil as an issue. Shot a couple Md does and no issue. Well she did get a scope scrape in the WT season.
She was scared for the rest of the year.

In january i reloaded 150gr RN and reduced powder charge to recommended minimum.
She forgot last years nose incident and shot targets in October and recoil was not a problem.

So a couple years of a a reduced powder load can save another purchase when its moose season.
Old 11-26-2023, 12:11 AM

6.5CM
the magic round.
If it was only deer I hunted it would easy to live with.
Cheap to shoot, great ballistics, lots of ammo choices, lots of rifles chambered in it, low recoil.

But...shooting is like Baskin & Robins.
go with the 25-06 if that is your other thought.
After all life is too short for vanilla everyday.
Old 11-30-2023, 08:54 PM

Quote:
I would buy a Tikka in a 6.5x55. I had one and regret selling it. My buddy just bought one for his 12 year old son. I had forgot what a joy they are to shoot and how accurate they are.
I built a 6.5 x 55 improved and love it. Just took a deer at 700 yards this evening with it.
Old 12-01-2023, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Contrary to what many people expected after seeing the ads and reviews, every 6.5CM rifle isn't going to produce superior accuracy to the other 6.5 cartridges, let alone all of the other hunting cartridges.
That has to do with the rifle not the cartridge however.
Put that cartridge into a well built rifle that it was designed for and it it will do exactly what was designed for .
But it was designed around a long action anyway.
Cat
Old 12-01-2023, 06:16 AM

All those calibers will work. It is all about proper bullets and shot placement. I have owned a 6 MM for over 50 yrs and took many deer and a few moose. Last year I acquired a 264 Win Mag, low round count, took a WT and moose this yr, both one shot kills - not sure about the Hornady ELD-X bullets, they certainly disintegrate. The larger cartridges do create more recoil and can be unpleasant to shoot. Big factor to me, what you feel comfortable shooting and easy to carry during long day of walking.
Old 12-01-2023, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
That has to do with the rifle not the cartridge however.
Put that cartridge into a well built rifle that it was designed for and it it will do exactly what was designed for .
But it was designed around a long action anyway.
Cat
It depends on the rifle, and finding the right load for the rifle, but that applies to every cartridge. My 6.5CM shot the first load that I tested sub 1/2moa, but a friends rifle was very fussy, and took 9 loads to find a good one. Then again, my 6.5PRC shot the first factory load and the first handload 3/8moa, while the same friends rifle was very fussy and took 8 loads to produce good accuracy. Unfortunately, some people assume that any 6.5CM rifle will shoot exceptionally accurate with any load.
Old 12-01-2023, 09:20 AM

My apologies, my post you quoted is wrong, it should read
"It was NOT designed around a long action anyway"

As has been stated many times here and elsewhere any cartridge is not so nearly important as the rifle it is being chambered in for an intended use, and if a person is picking a long action or a single shot, there are more suitable cartridges than the Creedmoor. For a light short action however, it fits the bill well.
Cat
Old 12-05-2023, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_NK28 View Post
This^^^it's my fave. I used to work in a gun shop part time in Northern Ontario and during the season when hunters were travelling I cannot tell you how many came in that had forgot their ammo at home. Even though we were well stocked with many brands and calibres the oddball calibres were a crapshoot and we were in a city of 50,000 and during an era of plenty, not like the market today where ammo of any kind can be extremely difficult to locate at times and reloading supplies are almost non-existent.
As those hunters got further away from the bigger towns they found out the hard way that little general stores, hardware stores, lodges etc in the more remote hunting areas carried about 4 or 5 calibre choices that were amongst the most popular. I've seen guys with oddball cartridges unable to acquire anything 8-12 hours from home and be relegated to potting grouse or catching fish all week for the camp while the other guys hunted moose and deer. I would never buy any rifle in a calibre that you cannot find ammo for in the middle of nowhere...
All the more reason to pay attention.... What if a guy forgets his rifle? His clothes? Tags?

Nothing wrong with the 270, as to the 6.5 caliber, if I was buying one, it would be a .264 win mag in a Win model 70 supergrade... common caliber be damned.
Old 12-06-2023, 10:24 AM

Take the 6.5CM - cuz then you’d have a reason to grow a man-bun
Old 12-06-2023, 05:08 PM

Either the Creedmoor or the 7/08 will do anything you need inside of 300yds. Which I would consider max range for most hunters that only dig out the rifle for hunting. Either will do it with manageable recoil and reasonable cartridge availability.

Thomas Sowell