Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-03-2018, 08:38 AM

Default Southern AB mule deer

Hey folks, I’m in a little predicament with deciding where to start building priority, gaining access, and scouting for a potential quality mule deer hunt down the road (4-6 years) when I build adequate priority. Anyways I’ve narrowed it down to 400, 306, or 108 for units and while I understand all three are very different in both habitat and access, all three have a good reputation for quality mule deer. I’m not looking for an absolute stud 200+ buck just any mature representative of the area in the 155-165 range would make me just as happy. So my question is which one would you choose, I plan on spending several weeks of every year until the date I draw scouting and gaining permission if necessary so that’s not my concern, more just trying to narrow down the results.

Thanks folks,
Jonah
Old 10-03-2018, 10:00 AM

If you're only building priority points now, you don't have to put in a WMU, so you have a few years to make your decision.

Personally, one of my favorite hunts is mule deer and pronghorn on the prairies, so I'd pick 108 myself as a my own choice. That's just me though.
Old 10-03-2018, 10:05 AM

If you are a rifle hunter your hunting opportunity in the 100s is much more limited (wed-sat). Something to keep in mind when drawing.
Old 10-03-2018, 11:00 AM

Completely different hunts for sure. Killing a 155-170" buck is easy enough in several WMU's that require a lot less than 4-5 years and opportunity for bigger as well. I am like Scott, I like the prairie hunts so out of the 3 108 would be my choice.
Old 10-03-2018, 11:20 AM

Yeah I bowhunted 128 for mulies this year and absolutely love hunting the coulees in the prairies so I’m leaning towards 108, I’m just interested in the other zones as well, I want to decide now so I can spend the next 5 years scouting and really getting to know the area, the locals, the landowners and the deer, figure it will make it more enjoyable when I finally draw the tag.
Old 10-03-2018, 02:56 PM

Mule deer will take a pretty hard hit this coming season in 108. Double antlerless tags issued, last winter took a pretty good toll on them as well. Poor fawn crop going into winter. Next couple years could be interesting.
Old 10-03-2018, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBF View Post
Mule deer will take a pretty hard hit this coming season in 108. Double antlerless tags issued, last winter took a pretty good toll on them as well. Poor fawn crop going into winter. Next couple years could be interesting.
They're giving out 2 antlerless tags this year? We applied for antlerless and weren't drawn for 108.
Old 10-03-2018, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
They're giving out 2 antlerless tags this year? We applied for antlerless and weren't drawn for 108.
Yep. 631 successful applicants. so 1262 tags. Scary eh. A fraction of priority 0 drew.

Whitetails same thing

Last year 505 antlerless mule deer tags given here. I had heard theres a new biologist here in the area but I cant confirm that.
Old 10-03-2018, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Same deal with the whitetail does .. not every one that applied was drawn but they give 2 tags for each successful applicant .Whitetails need the pressure but the mules sure don't . Gonna hit the mule deer in this zone real hard when they give out 2 1/2 times as many tags out as last year . Not only are the does gonna take a hit , but future years bucks as well when the doe hunters use their first tag on momma and the second on her biggest fawn , likely a buck . Ive got a 5 priority in this zone for mule buck and I may very well go 999 next year as a result of this genius move on the Bios part .
Old 10-03-2018, 05:48 PM

108 is quickly becoming a no go zone if you’re looking for a 170” plus buck. After years of killing to many does and an outfitter locking up a large part of the zone for himself finding anything worth shooting is slim.. if I was you I would be looking more at the east centeral part of the province..
Old 10-03-2018, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
Same deal with the whitetail does .. not every one that applied was drawn but they give 2 tags for each successful applicant .Whitetails need the pressure but the mules sure don't . Gonna hit the mule deer in this zone real hard when they give out 2 1/2 times as many tags out as last year . Not only are the does gonna take a hit , but future years bucks as well when the doe hunters use their first tag on momma and the second on her biggest fawn , likely a buck . Ive got a 5 priority in this zone for mule buck and I may very well go 999 next year as a result of this genius move on the Bios part .
I have an antlered tag for this year, it will be interesting to see how this season compares to last as far as numbers go.
Old 10-03-2018, 07:54 PM

Quote:
I have an antlered tag for this year, it will be interesting to see how this season compares to last as far as numbers go.
Myself and sounds like half of southern alberta got drawn this year. My expectations are not very high, I’ve been looking and haven’t seen a buck that will go over 170 yet, and that includes the Myc..

Jim...
Old 10-03-2018, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter1234 View Post
Myself and sounds like half of southern alberta got drawn this year. My expectations are not very high, I’ve been looking and haven’t seen a buck that will go over 170 yet, and that includes the Myc..

Jim...
Good luck this fall Jim. As a complete aside, I've always wondered about the sheds that must be found every spring on the McIntyre lol.
Old 10-03-2018, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Good luck this fall Jim. As a complete aside, I've always wondered about the sheds that must be found every spring on the McIntyre lol.
They find some good ones and the owner considers them all ranch property and they must be turned in .

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
Old 10-03-2018, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter1234 View Post
108 is quickly becoming a no go zone if you’re looking for a 170” plus buck. After years of killing to many does and an outfitter locking up a large part of the zone for himself finding anything worth shooting is slim.. if I was you I would be looking more at the east centeral part of the province..
I’ve hear good things about 206-208 but love the southern Alberta feel, I’ve got time to watch 108 hopefully get better, but 306 and 400 are looking better given the poor management decisions in 108.
Old 10-03-2018, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitterrootfly View Post
I’ve hear good things about 206-208 but love the southern Alberta feel, I’ve got time to watch 108 hopefully get better, but 306 and 400 are looking better given the poor management decisions in 108.
Nice thing about 400 is you can put a sheep tag in pocket too. For now at least.
Old 10-04-2018, 05:58 AM
Banned

There are some huge Mulies in 108 just take a look at the other thread of H380's and look at the Mulie hanging on the wall.
Old 10-04-2018, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Wise management in creating a buffer zone to slow the spread of CWD across the south. People didn't like the government cull on the Sask boarder so now it's in the hands of the harvesters. Thin them out guys that's what's needed.
Old 10-04-2018, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RZR View Post
There are some huge Mulies in 108 just take a look at the other thread of H380's and look at the Mulie hanging on the wall.
When was that buck killed H380? 10-15 years ago 108 was managed as a trophy zone only giving about half the tags they do now. There are still some great deer in the zone taken every year but its tougher now more than ever.
Old 10-04-2018, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Yeah I bowhunted 128 for mulies this year and absolutely love hunting the coulees in the prairies so I’m leaning towards 108, I’m just interested in the other zones as well, I want to decide now so I can spend the next 5 years scouting and really getting to know the area, the locals, the landowners and the deer, figure it will make it more enjoyable when I finally draw the tag.

If you are already scouting around WMU 128 and/or live in the area, why not put your draw in there?? Having spent little time in that zone, I still know with limited effort you could probably find a mulie to go 150”+

DR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk