Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-08-2024, 01:13 PM

Default Selling a vehicle

So I have my bike for sale, and get a hit on it, will pay asking price, bud he wants me to do an auto line dna and send it to him.

I remember reading a thread on this one but can’t find it….

M thinking scam, anyone remember that thread??
Old 05-08-2024, 01:16 PM

I had the same thing Monday, my impression is that he is selling the vehicle reports.
Old 05-08-2024, 01:21 PM

Almost certainly a scam. You pay for the report, send it to him, he never shows, you're out $60. IMO, if they want a report, they can buy it. If you think it will help sell the car, for sure buy one and send it to people who ask, or blank out personal info and post it in the ad, but go with something legit, like Carfax, not Autoline DNA.

Did he said he wanted to check that you'd be able to show the car cause he had to book time off work with his supervisor?
Old 05-08-2024, 01:30 PM

It's a scam

The second I hear "oh ill pay asking price" i hear alarm bells
Old 05-08-2024, 01:44 PM

I figgered as much, thanks for the help fellers!!
Old 05-08-2024, 02:14 PM

Definate scam, tell him you've been offered $1,000,000 for it. Guarantee he will match it.
Old 05-08-2024, 07:52 PM

Default Vehicle report scams

Wow. I am presently selling a vehicle for the first time in years. The number of scammers that made quick contact was shocking. DO NOT give out your name or address to people who contact you, and most definitely DO NOT buy any of these bogus “reports” from any suggested websites. These are websites set up by the scammers to get your $50 to $85 for some “report”, and alternatively, collect personal information including your credit card info. The reports are useless, if ever received. I lost a good percentage of these jerks by offering to meet them at the local police station to view my vehicle. They were quickly followed up by the lowballers. Don’t accept any payment other than a bank draft (or cash, if you are brave…) and certainly not a cheque. Somehow, a genuine buyer always seems to break through the flood of scammers and lowballers if your price is reasonable, but while it used to be said ‘let the buyer beware’, now it is probably more accurate to say, ‘let the seller beware’ as well. Ask for a deposit if the person seems genuine, but without one, the vehicle stays on the market, no matter how nice they seem to be. It’s sad that this has developed, but it is the landscape in the used vehicle marketplace. I did finally sell my vehicle to a nice young family.
Old 05-08-2024, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Btfsplk View Post
Wow. I am presently selling a vehicle for the first time in years. The number of scammers that made quick contact was shocking. DO NOT give out your name or address to people who contact you, and most definitely DO NOT buy any of these bogus “reports” from any suggested websites. These are websites set up by the scammers to get your $50 to $85 for some “report”, and alternatively, collect personal information including your credit card info. The reports are useless, if ever received. I lost a good percentage of these jerks by offering to meet them at the local police station to view my vehicle. They were quickly followed up by the lowballers. Don’t accept any payment other than a bank draft (or cash, if you are brave…) and certainly not a cheque. Somehow, a genuine buyer always seems to break through the flood of scammers and lowballers if your price is reasonable, but while it used to be said ‘let the buyer beware’, now it is probably more accurate to say, ‘let the seller beware’ as well. Ask for a deposit if the person seems genuine, but without one, the vehicle stays on the market, no matter how nice they seem to be. It’s sad that this has developed, but it is the landscape in the used vehicle marketplace. I did finally sell my vehicle to a nice young family.

Very well said!!!
Old 05-08-2024, 09:10 PM

I just sold a vehicle and had probably 6 or 7 different attempts to get me to purchase the various .vin websites. These websites are designed for one purpose and that is to obtain your Credit Card info. thats all they do. they get the #, the expiry and the CVV and off to the races.
I just offered everybody who inquired a copy of the carfax right of the bat, that will usually result in the immediate request for the xxx.vin report. Saves a lot of time and bs questions as they pretend to be interested.
Old 05-09-2024, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post
So I have my bike for sale, and get a hit on it, will pay asking price, bud he wants me to do an auto line dna and send it to him.

I remember reading a thread on this one but can’t find it….

M thinking scam, anyone remember that thread??
What kind of bike? I'll buy it for sure, just need the VIN, your CC info and perhaps your drivers license number to ensure I'm not dealing with a scammer like me LOL.... Just kidding.

Seriously though, what kind of bike?

J.
Old 05-09-2024, 07:29 AM

Sold a truck about a year ago. I got a carfax, and mentioned that in the ad. Also said, any serious buyers were more than welcome to view it when they came to see the vehicle. Never gave out my address, instead met potential buyers at local Safeway. Test drive? No problem, may I take photo of your drivers license and text it to my wife? Wife doesn't hear from me in an hour, call police. What a world we live in!!
Old 05-09-2024, 08:46 AM

I have a truck up for sale on AutoTrader/Kijiji/FB Marketplace. Far and away the most interest has been from scammers. Usually the text comes in from a Quebec area code and they say they can't wait to come tomorrow to pick it up, right after I purchase some obscure vehicle report for them. I just give them the VIN and tell them to run whatever report they want.
Old 05-09-2024, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Btfsplk View Post
Good advice except from this: Do not accept bank draft either! I have seen half a dozen bank drafts that were all made anywhere but at the banks! They look legitimate etc but are worthless. Unless you take it from the bank cashier’s hands yourself. Not from the buyers hand but directly from the cashier!
Old 05-09-2024, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB View Post
Good advice except from this: Do not accept bank draft either! I have seen half a dozen bank drafts that were all made anywhere but at the banks! They look legitimate etc but are worthless. Unless you take it from the bank cashier’s hands yourself. Not from the buyers hand but directly from the cashier!

This has concerned me for a while. How do you actually know it's any more legit than a regular cheque? Haven't been scammed yet, hopefully never do!
Old 05-09-2024, 11:56 PM

I usually post the VIN and window sticker in my ads for anyone to see or pull a carfax themselves. Buying a carfax ain't my job lol. I'll buy one on a vehicle I want though.

I'll also pay by bank draft but when I'm selling we're meeting at a bank where I'm witnessing the teller doing the work and preferably if we bank at the same bank we're just doing a transfer at the teller together.
Old 05-10-2024, 09:36 PM

I've been looking for a used truck for a month or two. Actively trying to make contact with sellers on Kijiji has been hands down ridiculous. The only ones I've actually gotten a return message from are the ones who listed a phone #. I don't use the stock "I'm interested in this vehicle, please contact me" autofilled message, either. Request viewing, first name , phone number. 20 attempts at contact. 0 replies on Kijiji. I'm thinking they are getting hit hard by scammers and hardcore keyboard tire kickers. Not sure what else to think. It's frankly ridiculous. The couple vehicles I have looked at in person seemed alright, but they said they had a fair amount of "interest", but I was the only one showing up to look/ test drive. It's been frustrating to see what you'd like in the area and price range and get zero response when you're actually looking to buy.

FB, well, personally dont have it or want it, but friends passing ads make it seem like it's leaving Kijiji in the dust. Town post isn't so hot either, lots of 360km $10-12,000 trucks. It's been interesting, trying the private sale routes.