Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expmler View Post
Your feelings and beliefs deprive others of the right to carry a gun to defend their life if necessary.

Should my feelings and beliefs about your opinion deprive you from the right to express it.
Nope and if every there is an opportunity to vote on this issue to carry or not we both have the right to choose. If the people of Canada do allow it I will accept it. That would be right of every Canadian citizen living here. That's how democracy works and what makes this a great country to live in. If the right to decide is not presented, live with the decision or fight it, that is your right.
Old 12-28-2014, 06:22 PM

Quote:
I do not believe it would make it any worse. I do have a permit and go to the range regularly, along with many members of the general public.

And nobody gets shot even though everyone is carrying a handgun.
At the range and that is in my honest opinion where it should stay. Enjoy owning and using a restricted weapon where it is allowed by law. Get enough people to challenge this law to change it, good for you. I will not be on that band wagon which is my choice.
Old 12-28-2014, 06:25 PM

A few of the "opinions" expressed in this here thread, on this site, speak loudly as to why this will never fly in the Canada.

Sad to say, NO WAY! With a very possible change in Govt. we will be very lucky to be maintaining the rights we are now entitled to. Very unfortunately, it's more likely that things go the way of Britian than a loosening of gun regs. I have zero confidence in the general sheep and this thread just reinforces those sentiments.

Better off using your time talking to a wall..............and hope like hell things at least stay the same as they are now. Never did make sense and never will but common sense is an extinct thought process in the majority IMO.
Old 12-28-2014, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immigrant View Post
I never pulled my gun and "got out of a situation". These things happen when you least expect it. It does not mean the criminal noticed the bulge in the small of my back and moved on to an easier target
If we argue that the criminals already have access to rifles and shotguns, so handguns is no big deal, then we can argue that we also have access to the same weapons. So if they can commit a crime with these weapons we can defend ourselves with these weapons, so no need to add handguns to the mix?
Except for the fact that criminals already have handguns and could care less about the consequences of possessing , transporting and using them, they are CRIMINALS.

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 12-28-2014, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmhunter View Post
Sorry bud, but your story sounds a tad on the made up side!
You are fortunate that you think my stories are made up to impress and make a point. It means you have never been exposed to crime at this level and a story like this sounds like BS. May you never have to experience my "made up stories"
Then again, i have no need to impress or BS a nameless guy behind a key board somewhere in cyberspace.
Old 12-28-2014, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by javlin101 View Post
Nope and if every there is an opportunity to vote on this issue to carry or not we both have the right to choose. If the people of Canada do allow it I will accept it. That would be right of every Canadian citizen living here. That's how democracy works and what makes this a great country to live in. If the right to decide is not presented, live with the decision or fight it, that is your right.
And that is exactly what we are discussing here.

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 12-28-2014, 06:32 PM

Some states allow you to write your CCW online, send off the application and pack a gun when it arrives in the mail.

How come we don't hear about bloodshed in the streets?

Oh right, it doesn't happen.
Old 12-28-2014, 06:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
So do you believe self defense is a right or something the government should regulate?
Old 12-28-2014, 06:50 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
So do you believe self defense is a right or something the government should regulate?
Why do you associate firearms with self defence?? You have every right to defend your self or family ..and at home with a firearm .
Old 12-28-2014, 06:54 PM

Why?
Because folk eventually get to an age where their bodies are worn out and they aren't able to protect themselves in other ways.
Old 12-28-2014, 06:57 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by twofifty View Post
Why?
Because folk eventually get to an age where their bodies are worn out and they aren't able to protect themselves in other ways.
Fair answer. Never looked at it from that angle. T/y
Old 12-28-2014, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillyreefer View Post
And that is exactly what we are discussing here.
Well yes and no, not claim it's your right because it is not per the law at this time.

Part of this debate is should the law be change, some say yes, some say no and that debate will go on as long as we all have the freedom of speech to voice our beliefs and opinions. That is my point here, I say no & you say yes, no one is more correct than the other. I will not force my will onto you and I do not wish you to do the same. What I believe should not make me feel wrong.
Old 12-28-2014, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish gunner View Post
Fair answer. Never looked at it from that angle. T/y
^ ^ ^ this account hacked!!!!!
Old 12-28-2014, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Well yes and no, not claim it's your right because it is not per the law at this time.

Part of this debate is should the law be change, some say yes, some say no and that debate will go on as long as we all have the freedom of speech to voice our beliefs and opinions. That is my point here, I say no & you say yes, no one is more correct than the other. I will not force my will onto you and I do not wish you to do the same. What I believe should not make me feel wrong.
I don't think I said having a sidearm is a right, although I do believe it should be.

But you are attempting to force your will upon others by being vehemently anti sidearm. On the other side I could care less if you carried or not, it isn't my decision to make for you.

Old 12-28-2014, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Why?
Yikes, ok so lets allow old people to carry, hell everyone is scared of them on the roads and their ability to operate a motor vehicle but let us put hand guns at their disposal.

let's disregard this argument please.
Old 12-28-2014, 07:03 PM

Thanks.
You could also look at it from the viewpoint of a woman jogger or cyclist -who as a rule is smaller, lighter and less skilled in fighting her predator is- who is being chased down some city's pretty riverside pathway to be raped in the bushes.

She too should have the means to turn the table on her stronger bigger predator. Try and disregard that argument, javlin101.
Banned

Quote:
Why do you associate firearms with self defence?? You have every right to defend your self or family ..and at home with a firearm .
Same reason police do. Why limit it to your home?

Quote:
Yikes, ok so lets allow old people to carry, hell everyone is scared of them on the roads and their ability to operate a motor vehicle but let us put hand guns at their disposal.

So an elderly persons life isn't worth defending?
Yes let's not allow that stupidity to fester.

Last edited by hillbillyreefer; 12-28-2014 at 07:11 PM.
Old 12-28-2014, 07:07 PM

It could be a 30 year old man in a wheelchair, whose legs were paralyzed in a car accident. There are people of all ages who are highly vulnerable to severe physical assault.
Old 12-28-2014, 07:08 PM

Quote:
I don't think I said having a sidearm is a right, although I do believe it should be.

But you are attempting to force your will upon others by being vehemently anti sidearm. On the other side I could care less if you carried or not, it isn't my decision to make for you.
No I am openly telling you I am against open carry of hand guns not against them, I am not actively trying to stop you from getting one. however i am against you walking around in public with one strapped to your hip. Am I confusing you on this. By all means own one, get the certified to use it under the law in place.
Old 12-28-2014, 07:09 PM

Quote:

I think you should just stop right here. Unbelievable that anyone could possibly think this way and adamantly defend this line of thought. Just wow...
Old 12-28-2014, 07:10 PM
Banned

Quote:

So at what age are you going to turn in your drivers license.
Old 12-28-2014, 07:10 PM

Quote:
No I am openly telling you I am against open carry of hand guns not against them, I am not actively trying to stop you from getting one. however i am against you walking around in public with one strapped to your hip. Am I confusing you on this. By all means own one, get the certified to use it under the law in place.
I already have and I will continue to fight to be able to carry them around.

Old 12-28-2014, 07:11 PM

If the powers that be were ever considering allowing open carry all they would have to do to cement the argument against it is read through the pages of AO. How many time have you read posts to the affect of . (Well If I Would Have Been In That Situation I would Have Shot First And Asked Questions Later). I realize it is just internet hero bravado but guys that post like that do all gun owners and hunter a disservice .

People on here lose their mind regularly about the hunters they see using unsafe firearms handling and acting irresponsibly out in the field . Just imagine all those goof balls having the right to carry a side arm anytime any where they choose. I can't see it myself .. not sure I want to see it .
Giving open carry rights to a society that for has never had it (for several generations ) would be similar to handing billions of dollars in surplus to a premier like Allison Redford they can't handle it and likely would do something stupid.
Old 12-28-2014, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Thanks.
You could also look at it from the viewpoint of a woman jogger or cyclist -who as a rule is smaller, lighter and less skilled in fighting her predator is- who is being chased down some city's pretty riverside pathway to be raped in the bushes.

She too should have the means to turn the table on her stronger bigger predator. Try and disregard that argument, javlin101.
WHAT, another what if, what if
Old 12-28-2014, 07:18 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Same reason police do. Why limit it to your home?
The police have multiple means of defence, home is where retreat is not an option.
Old 12-28-2014, 07:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
If the powers that be were ever considering allowing open carry all they would have to do to cement the argument against it is read through the pages of AO. How many time have you read posts to the affect of . (Well If I Would Have Been In That Situation I would Have Shot First And Asked Questions Later). I realize it is just internet hero bravado but guys that post like that do all gun owners and hunter a disservice .

People on here lose their mind regularly about the hunters they see using unsafe firearms handling and acting irresponsibly out in the field . Just imagine all those goof balls having the right to carry a side arm anytime any where they choose. I can't see it myself .. not sure I want to see it .
Giving open carry rights to a society that for has never had it (for several generations ) would be similar to handing billions of dollars in surplus to a premier like Allison Redford they can't handle it and likely would do something stupid.
I don't think that has been said once here, unless they were talking about bears.
Old 12-28-2014, 07:21 PM

Quote:
I already have and I will continue to fight to be able to carry them around.
That is your right, I have never tried to convince it is not your right to fight for what you want. Do not try to convince me I am wrong in what I believe in right?
Old 12-28-2014, 07:22 PM

Quote:
The police have multiple means of defence, home is where retreat is not an option.
The idea is 'always' to retreat when possible whether or not you're carrying a side arm. Not sure people get that concept.
Old 12-28-2014, 07:24 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by score View Post
The idea is 'always' to retreat when possible whether or not you're carrying a side arm. Not sure people get that concept.
There in lies the crux of the issue. Imo.
Closed Thread