Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-25-2015, 10:53 AM
Precisionshooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sako300 View Post
Hi,

In the market for a new quad and I was hoping to hear some opinions and suggestions between the two quads i am looking at.

I would use the quad mainly for hunting/hauling but also some trail riding.

I had a Honda 2013 TRX 500 and it hauled just fine but made trail riding a little tough.

Two quads I am interested in are the:

2015 Honda TRX500 Rubicon DCT IRS EPS

2015 Can-Am OUTLANDER MAX XT 800

Suggestions?

I've been running Can-Am only for a few years now - Commander Ltd dressed up side by side 2013 1000 and 2014 Outander 800r xp (enhanced suspension etc.).

No complaints with either and when summer fun is done, they are ready for Fall hunting and winter sports (tracks in the cross hairs).

Outlander I'm guessing is bigger and heavier then the Honda, but I guess it depends what you want it for. 2014 will find its way onto my diamond back cover on my truck for hunting or short single day excursions. Fits in the box too, but I want to retain some storage space....

Happy Shopping a new ATV is exciting no matter what brand.
Old 06-25-2015, 10:57 AM
Precisionshooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Why is tha can am towing that Honda in reverse?
Because it can....lol... Cable sure is under lots of tension... must be because the load is soo light.
Old 06-25-2015, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreya3212 View Post
Call Mike at mountains edge in sundre and ask for a price and availability.

X2 sundre for sure.
Don't buy at cycle works in red deer, I'll never go there again
Love my yammy though
Old 06-25-2015, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Precisionshooter View Post
Because it can....lol... Cable sure is under lots of tension... must be because the load is soo light.
When you stop to take a glory shot, the tow winch in this case tends to go slack. Maybe next year I'll try and get one of those selfie sticks to take some action photos
Old 06-26-2015, 12:25 PM
Precisionshooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
When you stop to take a glory shot, the tow winch in this case tends to go slack. Maybe next year I'll try and get one of those selfie sticks to take some action photos

lol.... I will say I haven't seen one brand not have a problem which may also be a factor regarding mtce and/or use.. Good to see everyone is happy with their purchases. So far from Performance, mileage, reliability.... I am one satisfied Can-Am customer...
Old 06-28-2015, 06:37 PM

These are my two the Yamaha has been very good had to do a belt this year and it's a 2008 and the 800 max is a 2013 and never an issue to date
Old 06-28-2015, 10:31 PM
Precisionshooter

trouble with some images posting...sorry
Old 06-29-2015, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bezzola View Post
These are my two the Yamaha has been very good had to do a belt this year and it's a 2008 and the 800 max is a 2013 and never an issue to date
Those little kodiaks are bullet proof. I still have one. Great little quad.
Old 06-29-2015, 07:06 PM

[QUOTE=bezzola;2878567]These are my two the Yamaha has been very good had to do a belt this year and it's a 2008[ QUOTE]

Never heard of anyone doing a belt on an ultramatic
Old 07-01-2015, 12:41 AM

Yup was out bear hunting with the son and it just came apart towed it back with the can am
Old 07-01-2015, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bezzola View Post
Yup was out bear hunting with the son and it just came apart towed it back with the can am
One day that old kodiak will tow the can am home. 😳
Old 07-01-2015, 07:32 AM

One thing for sure is dont let the dealer put a cheap azz super winch on it cause its a super peice of chit. The cable will rust right away and, the in /out switch will stick. It will fail completly in about a year or so. Make a your best deal with a warn winch included.
Old 07-01-2015, 07:52 AM

One thing is for sure, don't put a pos warn on your machine to burn out three motors with no use for no reason and not cover them under warranty....
Old 08-15-2015, 02:17 PM

I do all of my own repairs on vehicles, boats, quads, whatever. In general I really enjoy doing it and like the amount of money it saves me. Well on the weekend I ended up working on my Nephews Kawasaki twin cylinder 500 Quad. All I have to say is I would never own one. Don't care how well they run or go through rough country they are an absolute piece of poop to work on.

You need to pull half the quad apart just to change the plugs. Taking the twin carbs off to clean and set jets is 3 hours work. On top of that, unlike most every other type of vehicle with adjustable valves that loosen over time, the valves TIGHTEN up with use and must be adjusted to .006 intake and .010 exhaust every 1000 Klms. If not they get over tight start backfiring through the carbs and will eventually burn the valves.

Only problem is, even after you have taken everything possible off of the quad you can't reach into the valves to get the feeler gauge in properly. The exhaust valves are even worse to get at. On top of that, when you put them back together there are at least 6 blind hose connections which are a real SOB to get hooked back up again. Absolutely and without quastion the worst designed vehicle for working on I have EVER come across and I have worked on some famously hard to work on vehicles like Porsche 911s, E Jags with V-12s, Ferrari Dinos and Lotus street cars.

My hat is off to whoever has the stones to be an ATV mechanic on Kawasaki. They must have tiny hands and be made of rubber to be able to work on them.

I thought Polaris were a pain in the butt to work on until I did this one. I would never own any vehicle that is this hard to work on. Whether doing it myself, or paying the mega extra hours a shop would rightly charge to do the work, these Kawasakis are a nightmare.

I will stick to my Hondas, thank you very much. Rant over.

Last edited by Dean2; 08-15-2015 at 02:25 PM.
Old 08-15-2015, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
SOB to get hooked back up again. Absolutely and without quastion the worst designed vehicle for working on I have EVER come across and I have worked on some famously hard to work on vehicles like Porsche 911s, E Jags with V-12s

LOL, i was once working in Vancouver... and witnessed a new mechanic pour 24 qts of oil into a V12 Jag TWR.

The service manager was a dinkus that day and asked what i was chuckling about....

Then the mechanic started the jag..... KBoom.

I looked at the SM and said 'i guess nobody told him how to check the oil on a dry sump eh?...and walked out.

Yes, I could have warned him... but naahhhhh where is the fun in that?
Old 08-15-2015, 03:37 PM

I have a 1994 Suzuki king Quad 300 it is still in use for hunting and hauling wood in and out of camp . I don't know much about the newer ones but I sure got my money's worth n then some.
Old 08-15-2015, 06:23 PM

Yep go with the griz 700 will last a lifetime and has juice!!
Old 08-16-2015, 07:53 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Why is tha can am towing that Honda in reverse?
Because the rider fell off

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 08-16-2015, 02:09 PM

Those Can Ams are fantastic machines but really heavy, if you are going to be spending a lot of time in the muskeg the Honda is going to be a much better machine with some decent tires on it.
Old 08-16-2015, 03:18 PM
Precisionshooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogsicle View Post
Those Can Ams are fantastic machines but really heavy, if you are going to be spending a lot of time in the muskeg the Honda is going to be a much better machine with some decent tires on it.
Just looked at a outlander 450 L 678lbs ish... verses a Honda rubicon 500 679lbs.

Not sure what you mean based on those weights just pulled off the internet.

I believe my 800r with enhanced suspension higher horsepower is 729lbs

Of course maybe your body weight is less than mine (I think most people are in better shape than I currently am)....lol.
Old 08-16-2015, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Precisionshooter View Post
Just looked at a outlander 450 L 678lbs ish... verses a Honda rubicon 500 679lbs.

Not sure what you mean based on those weights just pulled off the internet.

I believe my 800r with enhanced suspension higher horsepower is 729lbs

Of course maybe your body weight is less than mine (I think most people are in better shape than I currently am)....lol.
You should notice that the Honda numbers are a curb or wet weight whereas the Can Am numbers are a dry weight of a base model. I know the dry weight of my '08 Burte Force is supposed to be about 750lbs and I'd bet its an easy 100lbs lighter than my '14 Outlander.

From what I can find online for the models OP is considering, your're looking at 721 lbs wet full of fluids for the Honda and 797 lbs dry for the CanAm (and that is for the base model, not including the XT bumpers). The CanAm weight also does not factor in the included winch but I'd imagine OP would buy a winch for the Honda anyways.

Last edited by Frogsicle; 08-16-2015 at 06:33 PM.
Old 08-16-2015, 06:38 PM
Precisionshooter

Difference is not enough to worry about especially given performance difference with a Can-am. One of the biggest issues is the capital cost of a Can-am. Everything is better when you can save a few dollars or maybe I should say a few pounds.
Old 08-17-2015, 09:58 AM

Buddy has the can am and loves it.
Old 08-17-2015, 01:37 PM

A person shouldn't underestimate the arctic cats.

A 700 is more than enough to do all kids of wonderfully fun stuff and light enough with some mudlites to glide over some skeg. They are strong, have a great suspension, tons of clearance, and in my experience can handle a **** kicking and never let a person down.

Year after year I beat the crap outta mine and it always impresses with a new feat the next season.

I use it for some extremely technical mountain riding for the most part. Factory with no mods.

Climbs, crawls, flexes, hauls, handles deep water well= win.
Old 08-17-2015, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knownonscents View Post
A person shouldn't underestimate the arctic cats.

A 700 is more than enough to do all kids of wonderfully fun stuff and light enough with some mudlites to glide over some skeg. They are strong, have a great suspension, tons of clearance, and in my experience can handle a **** kicking and never let a person down.

Year after year I beat the crap outta mine and it always impresses with a new feat the next season.

I use it for some extremely technical mountain riding for the most part. Factory with no mods.

Climbs, crawls, flexes, hauls, handles deep water well= win.
What year is it ?
Old 08-17-2015, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
What year is it ?
Mines an 09 and the wife has an 07 650. she doesn't have the throttle response I have (carb vs injected) but still tons of balls to go EVERYWHERE!!

if I have a grip about them it's the batteries. But that's all I can complain about.
Old 08-17-2015, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knownonscents View Post
Mines an 09 and the wife has an 07 650. she doesn't have the throttle response I have (carb vs injected) but still tons of balls to go EVERYWHERE!!

if I have a grip about them it's the batteries. But that's all I can complain about.
Let me know how it's doing when it's 15 years old

How many km's do you have on it now ?
Old 08-18-2015, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogsicle View Post
You should notice that the Honda numbers are a curb or wet weight whereas the Can Am numbers are a dry weight of a base model. I know the dry weight of my '08 Burte Force is supposed to be about 750lbs and I'd bet its an easy 100lbs lighter than my '14 Outlander.

From what I can find online for the models OP is considering, your're looking at 721 lbs wet full of fluids for the Honda and 797 lbs dry for the CanAm (and that is for the base model, not including the XT bumpers). The CanAm weight also does not factor in the included winch but I'd imagine OP would buy a winch for the Honda anyways.
Grizz 700...650 wet weight. 52hp... 12.5lb/bhp

Light weight is easier on all aspects of the atv and rider.

Last edited by Got Juice?; 08-18-2015 at 12:47 AM.
Old 08-18-2015, 12:46 AM

Can Am 800... Wet Weight 787lbs 72HP= 10.93lb/bhp
Old 08-18-2015, 12:53 AM

10.93 BRP/12.5 YAM= 14% faster acceleration. And from a drag race, I believe it.

In the real world of trails and crawling on rocky escarpments, it doesn't mean jack.

Weight is hard to control on tricky slopes, and tires you out faster.

Add on a couple days worth of fuel, food, gun, ammo, etc, and it gets much worse.

When I do out fully loaded with food,cookstove,propane, tent, bedroll, tarp, hygeine, more gas (11Gals total), guns, ammo and me, my Grizz 700 tips the scales at just under 1200 lbs.

The Can Am..would ring in at 1400

And the Visco Loc..... no thanks. When I want 4wd, I don't want a delay, or have the back wheels slip before it engages.... darn dangerous when rock crawling.

And REAL 4WD Diff Lock. 25% power to EACH WHEEL.. for the really nasty terrain. Steering when in Diff Lock is more difficult, but even with only 1 front tire on the ground, you can put power down.

HP= Fuel mileage.. the more you have, the less you get. BSFC.... I'd love more power in the grizz, but I do smile when other's are filling up, and I still have over 1/4 tank.

Still, nothing beats the Honda 300's for economy.... but they are so darn anemic.....

The 420 is not too bad.

Last edited by Got Juice?; 08-18-2015 at 01:00 AM.