Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-28-2015, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
I've got a 2014 800 outlander. Rides great lots of power, but they are not very easy to work on. Brake pads were completely wore out at 34hrs. Next to impossible to change the oil in the gearbox unless you take the skid plate off. The shocks are probably the cheapest money can buy. If you are an old guy like me who doesn't want to wrench I'd buy a 550 yamaha or a Honda.
Horrifying....

Honda everyday for me. You couldn't pay me to ride a belt-drive.
If you want an atv to "ride like a cadillac", save your $10k+ and buy a Lazboy instead.
Old 05-28-2015, 07:51 AM

A 500 Honda vs an 800 Canam is like comparing a tricycle to a motorcycle.

And Hondas reliability is a bit of a smoke screen. Especially the ES models. If any of the sensors get a drop of water on them, they break down. Not to mention Hondas are so far behind in the performance and technology category.

CanAm and Polaris are leading the industry. Belt drive is amazing. Even Honda will be switching to belt driven machines eventually.

If you want slow, rough and above average cost, go Honda.
Old 05-28-2015, 09:44 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
I've got a 2014 800 outlander. Rides great lots of power, but they are not very easy to work on. Brake pads were completely wore out at 34hrs. Next to impossible to change the oil in the gearbox unless you take the skid plate off. The shocks are probably the cheapest money can buy. If you are an old guy like me who doesn't want to wrench I'd buy a 550 yamaha or a Honda.

x1 on the brakes but they did replace them for free with aftermarket pads which are a thousand times better
Old 05-28-2015, 09:51 AM

Price difference is likely $5,000.00, cost of repairs is a lot higher on can am, I would be buying a Honda over Canned ham. Depends on how you treat them.
Old 05-28-2015, 09:53 AM

Good point on the yamaha they are solid machines.
Old 05-28-2015, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledder1 View Post

And Hondas reliability is a bit of a smoke screen. Especially the ES models. If any of the sensors get a drop of water on them, they break down.
18,000 km's of hauling bear bait through creeks and bogs and no issues with the ES yet.

The "smoke screen" comment is pretty funny too. Like I've said before if you ran a Polaris or Can Am beside my Honda through what it's seen there would be nothing left but scrap metal and plastic. They are just not in the same league.

And belts suck, I've seen so many high powered Can Ams smoke them I'd never go that route for a work quad.
Old 05-28-2015, 11:00 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledder1 View Post
And Hondas reliability is a bit of a smoke screen. Especially the ES models. If any of the sensors get a drop of water on them, they break down. Not to mention Hondas are so far behind in the performance and technology category.

CanAm and Polaris are leading the industry. Belt drive is amazing. Even Honda will be switching to belt driven machines eventually.

If you want slow, rough and above average cost, go Honda.
i have a brute force 750 newer and a 98 foreman 400

the honda is still going and the most reliable machine i've ever owned. it pulls like a tractor without worrying about glazing a belt or getting water on the belt or dirt in the clutch. i don't have to worry about clutch spacing springs breaking belts breaking all those fun things.

the old honda just goes

the brute force has blown a belt my rmk has glazed a belt my belt has gotten wet on both. and one time i was pulling someone with the rmk and the belt actually wedged in the pulley and i had to pry it out. i hate belts

everyone i know with a can am has had serious problems i wouldn't touch one right now.

polaris had a real bad streak where they got a ton of bad press but they're better now and they ride amazing
Old 05-28-2015, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blgoodbrand1 View Post
Have a look at the Kawi brute force 650 straight axle. Better yet take one for a rip. For a work/play unit I wouldn't look at anything else.
Good advice, reliable like a honda but big and stong with a good transmisson. Good price too. You an get a pull start for them too. They will run in water almost to the top of gas tank. I real solid choice
Old 05-28-2015, 03:49 PM

My Kawi Brute Force 750 is a tank, good for bigger guys and heavy hauling.

No issues whatsoever with it so far. Bought it off a forum member, who gave me an incredible deal on it. I will never sell it, it's just too good of a quad to part with.
Old 05-28-2015, 04:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by husky7mm View Post
You an get a pull start for them too.
lol there's a pull start on my 750 i tried it just for fun. i carry around a booster pack now!
Old 05-28-2015, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish_e_o View Post
lol there's a pull start on my 750 i tried it just for fun. i carry around a booster pack now!

I could be wrong but there should be a de-compression lever that will make pull starting much easier.
Old 05-28-2015, 04:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by blgoodbrand1 View Post
I could be wrong but there should be a de-compression lever that will make pull starting much easier.
hahaha well if there is...
Old 05-28-2015, 04:49 PM

750 KINGQUAD. suzuki is the way to go when talking quads
Old 05-28-2015, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpie View Post
Why?
Old 05-28-2015, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpie View Post
Not sure if they still are, but they, and the Kawasaki Brute Force were both built by Kawasaki Heavy Industries. I'm a big Kawi fan, and the Brute Force is an impressive machine.

My cousin however, after much research went with the expensive Can-Am for it's 2-up ability, power, reliability and fuel mileage. He reports using much less than the other machines that go with him.

The Polaris at least a few years ago; I found to have a wallowy, soft suspension, and a little soft on power delivery for the kind of displacement it had (700 cc). Felt like a boat. A few years before that, I had tried out a Sportsman 500, that felt much sportier, and more nimble. Not sure if they are any better reliability-wise.

For a small machine, the Yamaha Kodiacs are impressively quick and nimble. A friend wore one out (or maybe just down a little) on his ranch, and kept it as a spare and bought another new.

The Hondas, or at least the old ones have an impressive rep for reliability. One ranching friend bought his 86 Four-trax new and up until recently used it almost every day in Central B.C., rode it like it was stolen, went on long trips with it, and never opened it up. Or did anything, if I recall right. The 420s were quite a bit faster, but I recall some problems? A friend has a 500 Rubicon that has a small lift and bigger tires that I have spent some time on. It is a nice machine, but it does feel a little tippy (maybe I am used to the too low Hondas...) and quite a bit low on power. It really barely has the torque to rotate larger tires and has a hard time pulling top gear. And in steep terrain or with a bit of a load you will need to use low range, which seems a little silly sometimes.

If I was looking for a new one, I would probably get a Yamaha Kodiac, as it is faster by quite a bit than the Honda, reliable light weight and quite a bit cheaper than the Can-Am. For a big Quad I would probably go Brute Force or a Grizzly. Maybe a Suzuki...

I do like the real gear box that the Honda has, but I think that the belts are pretty well proven, and will serve well as long as you aren't trying to make it swim. And a big part of the Hondas reliability is it's power output. How would you ever break something if you are riding normally with less than 30 Hp?

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 05-29-2015, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Nice upgrade! Pink wasn't your color....
was actually a down grade from a rzr 800 !!! but I do love those little pink quads
Old 05-29-2015, 10:13 AM

You could do like my son did and buy a Can Am. After only a few hours the cam went. Spent two months at the dealer. Honda if you want to ride it. Can Am if you want to dream about riding it.
Old 05-29-2015, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
18,000 km's of hauling bear bait through creeks and bogs and no issues with the ES yet.

The "smoke screen" comment is pretty funny too. Like I've said before if you ran a Polaris or Can Am beside my Honda through what it's seen there would be nothing left but scrap metal and plastic. They are just not in the same league.

And belts suck, I've seen so many high powered Can Ams smoke them I'd never go that route for a work quad.
Check Mate...
Old 05-29-2015, 12:34 PM

I have had a lot of Yamaha Grizzlies... so far the total mileage is a little over 50,000 kms.

Not one drive belt broke or was replaced. Yamaha has a constant tension system that keeps the belt properly tensioned at all times.

Grizzly 600 A/Oil cooled. Items that broke: Exhaust header (common) and went through 3 sets of front brake pads. Sold at 21,000 kms

2005 Grizzly 660, Liquid Cooled. Items that broke: Rear Brake Assy. Traded at 18,000kms

2007 Grizzly 700 Liquid Cooled It
items that broke: 4 sets of brake pads, 1 shock, 1 rear axle 1 faulty rev switch . Quad STOLEN at 9200kms

2014 Grizzly 700. Current mileage: 3800kms. Items that broke: Nothing to date.

I have had other makes of ATV's and There are faster (CAN AM) Tow More (Polaris) get better mileage (Honda) and have a better seat (Kawi and Suzuki)

But no other ATV is lighter in weight with good useable torque that can do it all, and do it reliably.

Also, their 4WD system is the best in the market. PERIOD. None of this 'slip to engage wheels BS' They also have TRUE Differential lock with the push of a button, not a lever!! I know, it's hard to steer when in diff lock, but you do get unstuck! Honda/Popo/Canham/ No diff lock... just limited slip 3/4 wheel drive.

Electrical connections are ALL WEATHERPACK seals from the factory. Polaris/Honda/Artic Cat? NOPE!!!

Look at the driveline... Yamaha has no added u-joints.

Once you own one, you will understand.
They are not the fastest.
They are not the lightest
They are not the most fuel efficient (but pretty close)
That are not the best in comfort (Probably#3)
They cannot tow the highest.

But they DO have the best all-around machine.
Old 05-29-2015, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Juice? View Post
I have had a lot of Yamaha Grizzlies... so far the total mileage is a little over 50,000 kms.

Not one drive belt broke or was replaced. Yamaha has a constant tension system that keeps the belt properly tensioned at all times.

Grizzly 600 A/Oil cooled. Items that broke: Exhaust header (common) and went through 3 sets of front brake pads. Sold at 21,000 kms

2005 Grizzly 660, Liquid Cooled. Items that broke: Rear Brake Assy. Traded at 18,000kms

2007 Grizzly 700 Liquid Cooled It
items that broke: 4 sets of brake pads, 1 shock, 1 rear axle 1 faulty rev switch . Quad STOLEN at 9200kms

2014 Grizzly 700. Current mileage: 3800kms. Items that broke: Nothing to date.

I have had other makes of ATV's and There are faster (CAN AM) Tow More (Polaris) get better mileage (Honda) and have a better seat (Kawi and Suzuki)

But no other ATV is lighter in weight with good useable torque that can do it all, and do it reliably.

Also, their 4WD system is the best in the market. PERIOD. None of this 'slip to engage wheels BS' They also have TRUE Differential lock with the push of a button, not a lever!! I know, it's hard to steer when in diff lock, but you do get unstuck! Honda/Popo/Canham/ No diff lock... just limited slip 3/4 wheel drive.

Electrical connections are ALL WEATHERPACK seals from the factory. Polaris/Honda/Artic Cat? NOPE!!!

Look at the driveline... Yamaha has no added u-joints.

Once you own one, you will understand.
They are not the fastest.
They are not the lightest
They are not the most fuel efficient (but pretty close)
That are not the best in comfort (Probably#3)
They cannot tow the highest.

But they DO have the best all-around machine.
My experiences with yamahas has been almost the same. Great atvs
Old 05-30-2015, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by husky7mm View Post
My experiences with yamahas has been almost the same. Great atvs
x3. I have a 2002 660 still going strong and a 2013 700. Plan to pick up another 700. Very reliable

Aim Small Miss Small
Old 05-30-2015, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gube View Post
x3. I have a 2002 660 still going strong and a 2013 700. Plan to pick up another 700. Very reliable
X4. Good power, good ride, good gas mileage, not a tank, and has the 2nd best rep for reliability. Yammy.
Old 05-31-2015, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Juice? View Post
x2

Yamaha Grizz 700 if you want the best of both worlds
x2 on the Grizz!
Old 06-01-2015, 08:53 AM

X4 or whatever it is on the Yamaha. What most people don't know is that the Yamahas have a way better belt system. The belt is always under tension. It uses a centrifugal clutch between the engine and the primary clutch. This way, it is impossible to slip or burn a belt. You will never see a Yamaha with a burnt belt. Another thing already mentioned, waterproof electrical connectors. True Diff lock.
Old 06-02-2015, 07:12 AM

I honestly havent given the Yamaha a look so i will have to. How does the towing on the Grizzly compare to a Honda? Lets say for example the Honda 500 vs Grizzly 700?
Old 06-02-2015, 07:23 AM

Honda 500 puts out 27hp.
Grizzly 700 puts out 45 hp.
The 700 tows alot from what i have seen over the years.
Reliable too. Nicer ride and power steering!
Old 06-02-2015, 07:35 AM

i had a new polaris , it was comfy but bogged out everywhere all the time , got scary on big hills , now i have a grizzly and it rules . yamaha gets my vote.
Old 06-02-2015, 07:36 AM

Hands down the best quad is the Yamaha Grizzly 700!! I've rode them all and its the best all around quad and its very reliable compared to others. repair prices are normal unlike can ams.
Old 06-02-2015, 07:37 AM

Yammy. Not quite the best of everything.
Old 06-02-2015, 12:35 PM

I have a 2007 Can Am Outlander 400. I have about 5500 km on it, and its been a great machine.

My hunting partner has a 2006? Honda Rincon 680. His machine is less able to navigate logs, deeper snow, etc due to poor ground clearance. It has left him walking many times too, as his gas boils when his machine gets too hot, which it often does, as we live in BC with lots of long, steep climbs.

I think for Alberta riding where the ground is flat and easy, a Honda would be ok. For any other type of riding, I would get a more capable machine.