Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-01-2015, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
My mountain horses were so smart they would untie the halter rope knots, when you would tie them up at base of sheep mountain. I would need to chain one leg to a stake when had them out for grazzing. They learned how to rabbit gallop with hobbles. lots of fun keeping them in the mountains.
Almost forgot the "chain of shame" a chain with 1 master link and a locking quick release on the other. No chewer can escape!!! Lol. Now we have "cables of shame", much lighter and easier to pack.
Old 07-01-2015, 11:32 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
My mountain horses were so smart they would untie the halter rope knots, when you would tie them up at base of sheep mountain. I would need to chain one leg to a stake when had them out for grazzing. They learned how to rabbit gallop with hobbles. lots of fun keeping them in the mountains.
My horses were so smart they would untie the ropes and leave a note in the dirt, letting me know where they were headed and when they would be back.

Always keep at least one tied.

Be sure to tie them short. A friend has an amazing horse. It was his first horse and he 'loved' it. He went on a sheep hunt with another guy and they left the horses tied while they climbed to the ridge.

He had the horse for 4 years and had gone on many trips with me, but I was not with him this time.

I repeatedly told him to tie his horse short. He thought it was mean to have the horse just stand there when he could be tied a 'little' longer and reach the grass at the base of the tree.

When they returned to the horses , his horse had stepped over the rope, tried to lift his head and panicked. He was lying on the ground tangled up and had spent a long time trying to get up. In the process he had banged the side of his face on the ground repeatedly.

He ended up with the nerves in his face destroyed and unable to chew. He had to put him down.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 07-03-2015, 09:04 AM

Default horse

The mountains are very hard on horses, so I would hesitate taking a high priced horse sheep hunting. A old wrangler I knew was crossing the Smokey with a number of pack horses. One lost his footing and floated down the river upside down. He hit a island and regained his footing. The wrangler remarked " that one we wont have to water tonight"
Old 07-03-2015, 03:36 PM

My wife likes to take her friesian in the mountains. Does amazingly well too, very surefooted. But yah don't see many people bringing their show horses up, especially off the trails
Old 07-03-2015, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalan View Post
My wife likes to take her friesian in the mountains. Does amazingly well too, very surefooted. But yah don't see many people bringing their show horses up, especially off the trails
Most couldn't handle it .

Grizz
Old 07-03-2015, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Most couldn't handle it .

Grizz
True, but when you get up there and the views..having your life revolve around horses is all worth it
Old 07-03-2015, 08:26 PM

Quote:
True, but when you get up there and the views..having your life revolve around horses is all worth it
Your basic show horse doesn't even know how to go up and down hills, basic skill for the normal trail horse, seen a couple freak on steep slopes. Water that moves, let me out of here. Packed a couple that avoided the meat pen at Innisfail by a couple of bucks. They knew their stuff.

Grizz
Old 07-03-2015, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Yup, yesterday.

Grizz