Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-29-2015, 07:09 PM

Default campfire discussion

What do you guys think a big bodied bull moose would be worth if you had to buy all that meat? My buddy thought roughly 3k.
Old 06-29-2015, 07:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaver hunter View Post
What do you guys think a big bodied bull moose would be worth if you had to buy all that meat? My buddy thought roughly 3k.
At the rendering plant? Who eats testosterone filled wounded giant bull?

The best moose are the young Bruce the Moose'. With little legal paddles.

They are so lovely to cook. "Swiss style", or in the similar "Japanese Teriyaki style".

Also great sandwich meat for the kids.
Old 06-29-2015, 07:30 PM

Ya i don't mean a 100 inch bull, thinking a nice good eater bull.
Old 06-29-2015, 07:33 PM
Gone Hunting

Dollar value is really tough to assess. Too many variables.
I've seen some hanging in camps or shops that I might feed to my dog and he might eat it. I have eaten some We've shot that were very good.

The experience is priceless.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 06-29-2015, 07:37 PM

At least 5k.....antibiotic free, free range, low fat and cholesterol red meat. A decent bull would be worth at least that.
Old 06-29-2015, 07:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by greylynx View Post
At the rendering plant? Who eats testosterone filled wounded giant bull?

The best moose are the young Bruce the Moose'. With little legal paddles.

They are so lovely to cook. "Swiss style", or in the similar "Japanese Teriyaki style".

Also great sandwich meat for the kids.
Perfect.
Old 06-29-2015, 07:46 PM

about $4750 based on the elk prices found here and a 725# hot carcass weight. I would venture to say moose would be worth slightly more.
Old 06-29-2015, 08:08 PM

5k, that's impressive
Old 06-29-2015, 08:30 PM

Since it's not legal to sell it at the market I would say you could ask a lot for it. That 5000 price above isn't pushing in my opinion. But of course, it would be wrong. Otherwise, in a world where moose are farm raised and for everyone to eat, I don't think it would cost more than horse meat.
Old 06-29-2015, 08:36 PM
Banned

Quote:

What is the real intent of your question?

You hooked me.
Old 06-29-2015, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnak View Post
Since it's not legal to sell it at the market I would say you could ask a lot for it. That 5000 price above isn't pushing in my opinion. But of course, it would be wrong. Otherwise, in a world where moose are farm raised and for everyone to eat, I don't think it would cost more than horse meat.
It is legal to raise moose on a farm in Alberta, just like elk. There are a few issues though including handling facilities, finding breeding stock and their adaptability to high density situations.
Old 06-29-2015, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednuck View Post
It is legal to raise moose on a farm in Alberta, just like elk. There are a few issues though including handling facilities, finding breeding stock and their adaptability to high density situations.
Really? Wow that is so cool. Thanks for the info.
Old 06-30-2015, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purgatory.sv View Post
What is the real intent of your question?

You hooked me.
You think too much.....
Old 06-30-2015, 09:39 AM

So taking into account strictly the cost of the meat not including time spent, gas, buthering etc. I am comparing it to a steer our company just purchased. So cost of steer $1500. I know we got more meat off of this steer than I have ever got off of a moose.
Old 06-30-2015, 09:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
You think too much.....
Thank you for the release.
Old 06-30-2015, 10:10 AM

I your staving its worth a fortune,if your not it's worth the time you put in,the enjoyment of the hunt,the memories on how the hunt took place.If your that broke to start putting dollar signs on your hunt,you probably don't own a freezer.

If you start putting a price on the value of a wild animal, what do you think if everyone decided to save on their meat bill and go save some cash and wack a moose,the answer is very simple.Think about it.

NO MOOSE.
Old 06-30-2015, 01:32 PM

If I had to put a price on moose, the younger animals 2 to 3 bucks a dressed pound. Older animals 1.50 to 2 bucks per pound.

Technically speaking....If I still hunted moose... I could put in for a moose draw within 30 miles of home, focus my scouting and research pre-season, go out 2 or 3 days during season and secure a moose. Butcher and package myself.

Total cost is about 300 bucks. 200 for fuel, 100 for licence/tag and bullets. The only other gear needed I had. (eg. gambrel, block & tackle, knives, etc..) That works out to be about 25 to 30 cents a pound.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets

Last edited by Red Bullets; 06-30-2015 at 01:44 PM.
Old 06-30-2015, 01:34 PM

Big tough old bull ? Thinking Baloney Bull price.

Grizz
Old 06-30-2015, 04:05 PM

Default moose

Guys, I just bought some beef steaks from Friesens. They ranged from $7/lb to about $12/lb. The hamburger was at least $7/lb as well. If you used average of $9.lb a nice young 2year old moose would be worth 500x $9 or $4500. The meat is alot heathier, 10 times less fat, cholestoral and no hormones or antibiotics.
Old 07-01-2015, 12:10 PM

Knowing which moose to shoot is important for the quality of your meat,younger animals always seem to a better choice but sometimes this may not be true.

When I shoot my bull I am very careful on what the hide looks like ,dull grey hairs on the neck of a younger bull can mean health problems,parasites or pesticides and other diseases which will let you decide on what you put on your plate

If the moose has nice dark shiny coloured hide and shows little signs of being to thin than chances are he will be good eating depending on how much he has traveled during the rut some bull never go to far.Their is no way for sure of being 100 percent right but it makes a big difference if you can take the time to judge him.Some big bulls no matter what are only good for hamburger or slow cooker.

If you were to it eat a horse which one would you pick the one with the nice healthy shiny coat or the one who is all grey with ribs sticking out.Some moose injure themselves broken knees or legs and this will stunt their growth and make them very tough to eat.Look for abnormal knee sizes.

If your out to shoot a trophy bull well none of this matters,but if your a meat hunter check your moose out before you pull the trigger.
Old 07-01-2015, 12:30 PM

Default Moose

Most big bulls come through winter quite skinny. In fall when he is fat, before the rut most of the meat on him is new, put on that summer. I have had some very nice larger bulls.
Old 07-02-2015, 03:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
You think too much.....
.... or not enough.
Old 07-02-2015, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD 848 View Post
Knowing which moose to shoot is important for the quality of your meat,younger animals always seem to a better choice but sometimes this may not be true.

When I shoot my bull I am very careful on what the hide looks like ,dull grey hairs on the neck of a younger bull can mean health problems,parasites or pesticides and other diseases which will let you decide on what you put on your plate

If the moose has nice dark shiny coloured hide and shows little signs of being to thin than chances are he will be good eating depending on how much he has traveled during the rut some bull never go to far.Their is no way for sure of being 100 percent right but it makes a big difference if you can take the time to judge him.Some big bulls no matter what are only good for hamburger or slow cooker.

If you were to it eat a horse which one would you pick the one with the nice healthy shiny coat or the one who is all grey with ribs sticking out.Some moose injure themselves broken knees or legs and this will stunt their growth and make them very tough to eat.Look for abnormal knee sizes.

If your out to shoot a trophy bull well none of this matters,but if your a meat hunter check your moose out before you pull the trigger.

For what it's worth, I have found that the blacker a moose is the better it tastes. And the earlier in the season you get your moose the better.
Old 07-02-2015, 06:07 PM

A young Bull 700-800 live weight may yield 350-400 lbs of clean boneless meat.
Old 07-02-2015, 11:03 PM

The blacker the moose the better it tastes is right on the money,when their hide is a nice shiny black the healthier the animal and also the earlier in the season before they start to travel the better.

Alawys remember that the best is calf meat and the best time to hunt them is when the first big temp drop. The cows lift them calves and makes them walk because the calves have never seen - 30 cold temps.The calves need to stay warm till they can adjust to the temp changes .As soon as the sun comes up start looking at the sunny ridges where she rest them at peek sunlight hours.

If your in area where you have a late season and you can hold out for that first big temp drop like-25 or so and the moose have started to herd up or in groups they start to move to their wintering grounds and if you know these routes your bound to score.
Old 07-04-2015, 06:18 AM

It is worth exactly what someone is willing to pay. But last I checked the Moose Marketing Board was not really doing it's job.

Maybe a catchy byline:

"Where's the Moose"?
"Moose-The other red meat"

Or maybe we just need a new product to drive prices

Last edited by omega50; 07-04-2015 at 06:44 AM.