Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-28-2022, 08:20 AM

Default Draw system overhaul

I just recently completed the Mariam‘s turkey special license Hunt. I had a great time and realized that my 12-year-old who is going to be eligible to enter the draw system will never pull this tag with the current system. There are a few others that have the same problem. It may be time to upgrade our draw system to reflect the number of applicants. There needs to be a hybrid lottery system or something in the near future.
I think our draw system has been great but the reason for that is the number of applicants in past years. Change is now required. Any thoughts?
Old 05-28-2022, 09:11 AM

Yea, I have thoughts, but it involves a monetary cost and no one seems to like that.

-Billy Molls
Old 05-28-2022, 09:16 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathfinder76 View Post
Yea, I have thoughts, but it involves a monetary cost and no one seems to like that.
X2
Old 05-28-2022, 09:19 AM

Youth hunters are the future. We have had our time.
Old 05-28-2022, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heretohunt View Post
Youth hunters are the future. We have had our time.
So you waited your time until you could get the draw tag and now want the system changed?

While I agree that youth hunters are our future, what has changed? Haven't they always been our future?

I'm not saying the system is perfect or that it couldn't use an overhaul, but there are things we could do today that would greatly affect wait times for draws. One being proof of residency. Every vac truck operator in Fort Mac seems to hunt moose as a resident of Alberta but when their 2 week stretch of work is done they are back to The Rock and sleeping in their own bed.
Old 05-28-2022, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positrac View Post
So you waited your time until you could get the draw tag and now want the system changed?

While I agree that youth hunters are our future, what has changed? Haven't they always been our future?

I'm not saying the system is perfect or that it couldn't use an overhaul, but there are things we could do today that would greatly affect wait times for draws. One being proof of residency. Every vac truck operator in Fort Mac seems to hunt moose as a resident of Alberta but when their 2 week stretch of work is done they are back to The Rock and sleeping in their own bed.
What has changed is we could realistically wait to draw a tag. New hunters will not have the same opportunity.
Definitely the non-resident posing as a resident problem needs to be addressed. I have a friend who has lived in Texas for 10 years and still has a resident win card.
Old 05-28-2022, 09:56 AM

Not sure if its changed now but when moving to Alberta and getting a WIN card/hunting license all I had to do was tick a box that I had held a hunting license in another province before, or something to that effect.

What's wrong with a mandatory hunter education course or proof that you have taken a hunter education course in another province before before you can get a license in Alberta? That alone would weed out a lot of the new people getting licenses and make it so that they have to have some basic knowledge before they can wander around with a firearm in the bush.

I'm sure we all have met people that we suspect just ticked the box and had no prior hunter education training.
Old 05-28-2022, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathfinder76 View Post
https://outly.com/outly/journal/neva...on-information

Why are we not using a draw system like this for some of our draws that are now virtually impossible to get for many (turkey, 437 sheep, ect....). Keep hearing about how our draw system is so great...when in reality it is broken in so many ways.

A system like this allowed a buddy to be drawn for his desert sheep in Nevada this year. Everyone has a chance, and your chance increases with every year you put in.

ps. and manage our damn wildlife! Not like Alberta doesn't have the funds to do so
Old 05-28-2022, 01:05 PM

I'm not saying outfitting is the problem as far as tags maybe we get a few more ,but I highly believe that residents should have priority over some paying nonresident alien that can come every year, a If you're not a millionaire like some people on these forms times are going to get even tougher fuel, cost off food, lack of work, A residents should come first.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 05-28-2022, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heretohunt View Post
I just recently completed the Mariam‘s turkey special license Hunt. I had a great time and realized that my 12-year-old who is going to be eligible to enter the draw system will never pull this tag with the current system. There are a few others that have the same problem. It may be time to upgrade our draw system to reflect the number of applicants. There needs to be a hybrid lottery system or something in the near future.
I think our draw system has been great but the reason for that is the number of applicants in past years. Change is now required. Any thoughts?
How’s it feel to start a thread that’s been beaten to death over and over on this forum?
Old 05-28-2022, 05:55 PM
Banned

I pulled a random year
If you check our turkeys There was 10000 applicants
2021 There was 23000 applicants

Bull moose was roughly a 50% increase
Old 05-30-2022, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
I pulled a random year
If you check our turkeys There was 10000 applicants
2021 There was 23000 applicants

Bull moose was roughly a 50% increase
That's why I've never applied!
10000 applicants apply for 150 tags, if everyone gets drawn before me that a 66yr wait till I'm drawn.