Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-18-2009, 12:37 PM

I'm hiking into Fortress again in a couple months and also hoping to make a trip to Skeena/Kitimat in early to mid July.
Old 03-19-2009, 12:29 AM

Heading backto Manitoba at the end of June. Going to make a stop at Tobin Lake for 2 days then head to Jan Lake for a couple. From there over to Flin Flon for the rest of the trip. Can't wait
Old 03-19-2009, 01:06 AM

Default Winter Harbour in the Summer

Heading out in mid Aug to Winter Harbour again, trip of a lifetime last year (a Chinook that I could easily get my fist in his mouth). Will be staying long enough to hook up with 2 different crews along with a pal who spends most of his summer out there. I'm lucky, he's luckier

Camping every other weekend, will get the 4 yr old hooked on fishing this year. She practically jumped in the trout pond at the Calgary boat show so I know she has the bug.

Zeke
Old 03-19-2009, 12:10 PM

First trip planned is with jts1 to hit Minewanka for a lunker lake trout. Then hopefully another trip for a trophy pike.
Old 03-19-2009, 01:14 PM

Zeke, if you get a chance, stop in and say hi...in Port hardy but often fishing out of Winter Harbour side as well... Going with Rob?
Old 03-19-2009, 03:12 PM

Going to Ixtapa in November to fish for sail, marlin and rooster fish. Heard it is great fishing there
Old 03-20-2009, 07:35 AM

Hello Safety D, this is the first time I will be using Indian Head. Previous trips have been self outfitted. Some of the other outfits are quite a bit more " rustic" but are still pretty good. I hear Blackmurs is pretty good as well.
Old 03-20-2009, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbosch View Post
Great bear Lake in July for big lakers and pike. Fraser river in August and November for the 12 footer I've been waiting for.
I'd really like to hear about this trip after you get back. My wife and I want to plan a trip up there in the future.
Which outfit are you going with?
Old 03-20-2009, 07:37 AM

I'll be making my yearly ice out trip into our fly in lodge in Northern Sasky.
Then we are going to visit my parents who now summer in Newfoundland. My dad got a new boat last year so we'll be out during Cod season and trying for whatever other goodies we can find.
Old 03-20-2009, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angler1 View Post
Going up Lake Athabasca again with Indian Head camp for some lakers on June 24. Then I will be towing the jetboat down to Chilliwack for some more sturgeon fishing in August and probably again in October. These will be the big trips, with lots of local fishing in between.
I'd like to hear a review and see pics of this trip as well man.
Have fun.
Old 03-20-2009, 07:41 AM

Making my annual fly fishing trip to the "secret spot".

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 03-20-2009, 12:54 PM

3 days at Touchwood, a weekend at Spencer, 3 days at Seibert, 3 days at Wolf, and 3 days at Cold Lake. Should be fun.
Old 03-20-2009, 01:04 PM

Going to explore areas around Calgary because I did not get to do near the fishing I wanted to last year. Prob going to get a pontoon boat or kayak hopefully. Still thinking about giving fly fishing a try but I've been thinking that for years and never have.
Old 03-20-2009, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhuntley12 View Post
Going to explore areas around Calgary because I did not get to do near the fishing I wanted to last year. Prob going to get a pontoon boat or kayak hopefully. Still thinking about giving fly fishing a try but I've been thinking that for years and never have.
Take the plunge my friend. I started doing it a couple of years ago and there is alot of decent trout fisheries in and within driving distance of Calgary.
Old 03-20-2009, 03:38 PM
Banned

x2 on the fly fishing.... but get a canoe instead of those trendy little boats, way more versitile. A good canoe (or even a not so great one) is the best bang for the buck purchase that any outdoorsman on a budget or with limited space can make.
Old 04-18-2009, 09:22 PM

Default Me too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catahoula View Post
Tobin Lake in June. Hoping to get to Kitimat in the fall...
We're booked in to fish Tobin June 15th - 18th
Can't wait!
Old 04-18-2009, 10:02 PM

Default Wylie and no name lake

Flying into Wylie lake on June 13th. Going in with Mikisew Sportfishing in Fort Mac. 6 guys including myself heading in. Wylie connects to name name lake also we may fish this lake as well. Lakers and Pike are the culprits. This will be my first fly in fishing trip so very excited. Does anyone have any info on fishing wylie?

We will probably be able to get away from using downriggers this early in the year but may have to use deep 6's or pink ladies to trolll for lakers.
Old 04-19-2009, 09:27 AM

Default Wylie lake

Wylie lake is awesome! I was there 3 years ago. Mind what Tim tells you though, 'cause there are a ton of rocky shoals everywhere throughout the lake. If you're not paying attention you could pile up the boat pretty fast! We fished in no-name lake too. A little tricky to find. Head up to the north east side of the lake. You will drive past a long and narrow arm that extends to the east. Now if you drive down this arm, when you come to the "dead-end" it is actually about a 100 yard hike to where it connects to no-name lake. We climbed the burnt hill and could see no-name lake from here. But better NOT to access it fromt his spot with the boat. Instead, drive north PAST the long arm and you will come to another bay that is protected by a small island. Head north past the island through the shallow waters and the river mouth is hidden in the pencil reeds at the north end of the bay. We drove back and forth several times before we actually spotted it! The pike fishing wasn't too shabby in this bay either.......but we were first week of june......but lot's of hawgs! Have fun man, Wylie is a great experience.
Old 04-19-2009, 10:14 AM

Wifey planned 5 days in Rivers Inlet for my birthday, july 14-19 can't wait
Old 04-19-2009, 04:23 PM

where in P.H.
Old 04-19-2009, 04:43 PM

I am schedule to fish the SAWT tour for may and june. Then we are going to be hitting waterton for some monster lakers and the south sask for some sturgeon. I am also looking at hiking in for some golden trout and possible out to sask for some splake and tiger trout. Other then that it will be close to home in the boat or hiking the rivers to my favorite holes. Planning on taking the little boat into the oldman and hunting down some big walleye this summer to. Hope everyone has an excellent summer and can't wait to see pics.

Nate
Old 04-19-2009, 05:09 PM

I am heading to Delaronde Resort in Northern Saskatchewan. BEAUTIFUL! Check it out on their website.
www.delaronderesort.com
Old 04-19-2009, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBuck$ View Post
Heading backto Manitoba at the end of June. Going to make a stop at Tobin Lake for 2 days then head to Jan Lake for a couple. From there over to Flin Flon for the rest of the trip. Can't wait
Big Buck$,
I too head up to Flin Flon every summer to fish those monsters up north!
Which lakes do you usually fish during the summer up in the flon?
AO19
Old 04-19-2009, 09:27 PM

only planned trips are Cold Lake last weekend in May and Moose in July but Winifred, Pinehurst, Wolf, Siebert, and Kehewin are must do repeatedlys