Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-17-2009, 04:22 PM

Default Sturgeon?

Anyone know any good spots on the North Saskatchewan for catching a Sturgeon? Close to Edmonton or Spruce Grove is preferred. There needs to be shore acess because I don't have a boat.

thanks guys!
Old 04-17-2009, 05:12 PM

Hwy 770 at the Genesee bridge is suppose to be pretty good at certain times of the year from what I have heard.
Old 04-17-2009, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish-man View Post
Anyone know any good spots on the North Saskatchewan for catching a Sturgeon? Close to Edmonton or Spruce Grove is preferred. There needs to be shore acess because I don't have a boat.

thanks guys!
There are good places in and around the city of edmonton that are good.Try places like dawson park,rundle park,science park, whitemud park and a few other well known places and you should get some sturgeon. June and july is usually a good time of year. Use worms and a pickeral rig and your good to go! Good luck.
Old 04-17-2009, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckmaster View Post
There are good places in and around the city of edmonton that are good.Try places like dawson park,rundle park,science park, whitemud park and a few other well known places and you should get some sturgeon. June and july is usually a good time of year. Use worms and a pickeral rig and your good to go! Good luck.
Can you be more specific on the whitemud park area? I've fished for years at the creek enterance and the spillway straight across from the river but I've never even seen a sturgeon brough up there.
Old 04-18-2009, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckmaster View Post
You've got the places right, but I don't think June is that great a time, with all the run-off coming down from the mountains, it makes it a tough time to fish. Mid-July to mid-October is sturgeon primetime. And a pickeral rig isn't a good idea for sturgeon, especially the cheap store bought kinds. They break off way too easily and then your left with one or two hooks attached to a potential snag hazard (lead weight), could result in a dead sturgeon. This set-up is much safer and stronger: