Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-17-2009, 10:23 PM

Default Tobin Lake

So we've just booked our spot at Tobin Lake Resort for a fishin' trip there in mid June. I've been wanting to fish Tobin for years and really lookin' forward to it.

I know lots of you have been there before as it was discussed recently on another thread, so, do you have any suggestions for me as to what techniques to use? Areas of the lake or river to target and for what? What to use for the time of year?

Any tips and pointers welcomed!
Old 04-17-2009, 11:13 PM

First off, all my info is for walleye in the river. I have not spent much time at all in the lake, but the time you are going it will be PRIME TIME for some big walleye in the river. Bottom bouncers and spinners work well, anywhere in the river, you go up or down current slightly faster with your trolling motor. Perch, Firetiger, or silver blades work well, and you can tip the spinner with frozen minnows, crawlers, or leeches. In the river, most people rish live bait rigs, with a sinker from 1/8 th ounce to an ounce, and have a snell length of 3 to 6 feet, and some people will go longer, but it's personal preference. A size six red hook with a 3mm chartruse bead and a six foot lead of Berkley Vanish is my choice behind a half ounce slip sinker, and a big fat leech. We drift down current from the First Drift all the way down to the 2 & 3 markers at the mouth of the lake. Popular spots in between is the first drift on the east side of the channel (starting just above a big patch of reeds on the shore east side of shore) There is a creek mouth in the corner of the river on the east side heading down river from the first drift, and starting there on the west side of the break (the channel is pretty close to the east side of the river here, and you will be on the west side of the channel here) and this spot is called grassy island, (there is a cabin on shore here) and you drift from the creek mouth to the next corner of the river if you want (about 1 km) but I usually go from the river corner to about 200 meters north past the cabin and then go back up and drift down again. Next down the river is whiterock. It's the next main bend on the river going north, and on the east side of the river there is a huge weedbed and people drift the channel next to the weedbed all the way down the what is called the trash can. You can drift both sides of the channel at whiterock. Down from the bend at the trash can is the top of eagles nest. The break on the west side on the top is good, and then by the Eagles Nest sign, people fish the east side, closer to the bank, and then drift around the trees and go down the bottom of eagles nest. There are two channels on the bottom of Eagles nest and there is so much good water to fish down there. Where the river turns east at the 2 sign on shore is a good spot on the middle of the channel, or on the north side of the channel along the weedbeds. People crank the bottom of Eagles nest all the way up to the top with Deep Diving Reef Runners too and smash some big fish. These are the main river spots, and you can rig, jig or pull spinners all along the river, look for packs of boats and it will be easy to identify the main spots. Most of the time I fish from 10 to 28 feet, and usually try to move up or down the break as I drift with my trolling motor. There is some awesome night fishing, trolling cranks up by the dam too, and there is some good sauger fishing right in the current on the left side of the cable up at the dam, but be careful, as there are some rocks on the left side of the spillway near the shore. Hope this helps, Chris K

Last edited by Chris K; 04-18-2009 at 08:32 AM.
Old 04-18-2009, 09:23 AM

Default Nailed it !

Chris k...nailed it...i have had my best luck for big walleye drifting downstream from eaglesnest with bottom bouncers or jigs tipped with minnows or leech's...around the resort there are a couple of spots(you will see the line of boats) that hold good numbers of smaller fish..and the little bay to the right of the dock area holds some huge pike...you will have a good time, the people are great and the guys across the road at silvertip resort have a little store ...buy some bait and ask where the hot spots are...they are more than helpfull...
Old 04-18-2009, 12:16 PM

WOW Chris & Grizz this is some awesome information. You've really got me fired up now!!! I can't wait.
I'm gonna print off all feedback and bring it with us for sure!

With the river being the hot spot I'm wondering if I should have booked in at Twin Marine instead. Oh well, some "huge pike" will be targeted as well as the walleyes in the river!

Please keep for info. coming. The more the better.

Thanks.