Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-19-2010, 11:12 AM

Default Braided line on flyrod?

Does anyone use braided line on their flyrod?
why or whynot?
I have a big spool of it here (fireline)
wondering if I could use it or if I have to use the regular line

I still lose bait that way.

UPS will fondle your animals!!
Old 07-19-2010, 11:20 AM

braided line won't work at all on a fly rod.

the line is what does all the casting as you are using the weight of the line to cast the fly out. also flyline is thicker and stiffer then braided line so it will cast in a straight line. there is not enough weight in a fly to make the braided line actually cast.

rgds
Mike
Old 07-19-2010, 11:27 AM

Sorry I meant more for from the floating (green) line to the fly. Sorry I dont know the terminology. it is the 7' line that the fly ties onto that I would be using the braided. I want to call it the leader?

Old 07-19-2010, 11:34 AM

Yeah, you could use it for the leader, but fish will see that line, so I'm not sure how it will all turn out.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:38 AM
sheephunter

What you are thinking of is the leader and leaders are typically tapered to help the fly lay over better. I'm guessing you'd end up with a lot of wind knots in the braid and it wouldn't work that well.

Last edited by sheephunter; 07-19-2010 at 11:51 AM.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:41 AM

Sheephunter is correct. Also braided line when wet has a tendency of sticking together. Buy yourself some leader material in different weights and join them together to form a leader. ex: 10lb, 6lb,3lb, or whatever combination you choose.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:45 AM

OK, thanks.
I have a bunch of leader material, but thought about using the braided as I have a ton of it. I know it is low visibility and strong. so thought I would ask.
Thanks everyone.

Old 07-19-2010, 12:19 PM
sheephunter

Even with mono leader material, you rarely use only one diameter. If tying leaders yourself, you start with a heavy test at the butt and then slowly taper down by using a variety of lighter weight lines until you get to the end. Most commercial leaders are knotless tapers.
Old 07-19-2010, 12:36 PM

You can use braided leaders, not sure where to buy them, I make my own. They turn over very well, are tapered, and can be customized to whatever diameter you might want. Some guys will have different coloured thread braided into the line as an integral strike indicator.

Using "fireline" or some other braided line might be possible, and if so would be killer strong but maybe too stiff? All I use is 6/0 fly tying thread and they work fantastic. Of course you still need a couple feet of tippet to your fly, and I'm pretty sure fireline would be too thick.
Old 07-19-2010, 01:20 PM
Banned

Has anyone ever tried these leaders?

http://www.wflies.com/Tippets.html?g...FSISagodfGKjhw
Old 07-19-2010, 01:32 PM

okay now i see what you are getting at.

some people use straight mono when fishing streamers as the flies are usually heavier and you don't require the taper of a normal leader to lay the fly out. not sure about braided line though, never seen that used.

you could probably use it as tippet material if it is light enough. a regular leader is not that expensive really and if you use tippet material istead of tying straight to the leader, the leader should last quite awhile.

you could always give it a try and see how it works out. no harm in experimenting to see how it works.

rgds
Mike
Old 07-19-2010, 01:38 PM

Braided leaders are the way to go when czech nymphing. They have no stretch and you can feel every take. It's so good in fact it has been banned in national and international competition.

Road hunting is not hunting.
Old 07-19-2010, 01:42 PM

use your braided line as backing on your reel it goes on after your floating/sinking line
Old 07-19-2010, 03:51 PM

greylynx, yep, those are pretty much exactly like the ones I make except I use black and olive for the colour not hot pink. Braided leaders banned in competition? Didn't know that, they do work well thats for sure. I like the way they cast better than tapered mono too.

Good idea using it (fireline) for backing. You'd use more that way.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeym View Post
braided line won't work at all on a fly rod.

the line is what does all the casting as you are using the weight of the line to cast the fly out. also flyline is thicker and stiffer then braided line so it will cast in a straight line. there is not enough weight in a fly to make the braided line actually cast.

rgds
Mike
This is true. However I do use about 8ft of braided line (power pro) as a leader on my 9wt and i find it is very effective hardly effecting my casting. I target pike and walleye with it.

In fact just last week at pigeon i landed a 20 plus inch walleye on my fly rod with that set-up... using a popper on the surface if you can believe it.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayball View Post
This is true. However I do use about 8ft of braided line (power pro) as a leader on my 9wt and i find it is very effective hardly effecting my casting. I target pike and walleye with it.

In fact just last week at pigeon i landed a 20 plus inch walleye on my fly rod with that set-up... using a popper on the surface if you can believe it.
i should probably add that when targeting larger fish (pike etc) and using streamers or larger/heavier flys... i have not really noticed a difference using a braided leader vs. tapered line. I have used tapered... i simply ran out one day and just used my power pro as i was in a pinch.

this may not work on a 5-6wt rod. good luck.
Old 07-19-2010, 06:41 PM

Be careful using braided line as backing, your fly rod guides are not designed to handle it and they may be buggered if you get into a big fish that takes a few long runs.

As for what some others have mentioned as being made of 6/0 thread, those are called "furled leaders" and can be excellent.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:23 AM

Well, I put a piece on because I had left my tappered leader at home. I wanted to hit the river for 20 minutes during lunch just to try my luck. it seems to cast fine, but for me aslong as I can get the line to where I want I am happy, lol. No hits but that isn't anything new where I was. I am going to keep it on for a bit to see how it holds out