Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 10-14-2005, 10:28 AM
jrs

Default Getting into trapping?

I was looking through the regulations (trapping) and observed many different trapping seasons/limits/ restrictions as part of managing our fur resource. I was wondering if anyone could help me clarify. What courses do you need to trap as a resident simply as a small hobby operation? Do you have to have permission on private land or is it possible to go out to forestry for example and trap squirrels?
Old 10-14-2005, 09:16 PM
JIM MITCHELL

Default getting into trapping

Here are the rules , hope some of this helps. There are two types of trapping licences in alberta. Registered licences are usually for Crown land and these are the traditional "traplines". The other type is resident and basically with this licence you can trap on private property with the owners permission. You cannot just go and trap a squirrel anywhere. The costs are minimal for each licence , but Registered trapping areas are difficult to get unless you are prepared to spend a large sum of money to buy one. The best bet is the resident. In order to qualify for the licence you must either take a course ( see ATA website under education) . The link is www.albertatrappers.com . This tells you what courses are available and when. The other way is to study the study guide and then make an appointment with the Fish and Wildlife office and challenge the exam. The study guide is available at the ATA store for about $15 . The only exception to all of this is beaver on private land. The farmer can allow you to trap beaver if they are causing a problem. You cannot trap coyotes , however without the licence. Obviously the course is the best way to go , but this is not always possible. I hope some of this information helps. E mail me if you have further questions. e mail is info@albertatrappers.com
Old 10-16-2005, 04:10 PM
jrs

Default Thanks

Thanks a lot. That pretty much covers what i was looking for. I'll be watching for the exam to come up this winter. I am just planning to get the liscencing to trap on private land and maybe get a couple critters now and then (starting next year i suppose)