Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 05-12-2003, 11:22 AM
Lefty MacDanielson

Default Spring Beaver Trapping

The Clearwater River finally broke and even though the snow was still falling we headed up the river 40 miles to set a few traps on the line to get some beaver for bait for the winter trapping season. The ice had blocked the river for a few days and raised the river to a very high levels making it difficult to find the beaver runs and washed out houses. With the cold weather there were very few active runs and castor piles to set traps on. However on the 5th day (May 7th) the sun came out and the beaver became much more active, and the fun started.

After six days we were rewarded with enough beavers for use in the winter season. Even though the price for the fur is low it's nice to be out in the spring before the bugs.

We did see a few bears, a lynx, moose, beavers (dead and alive), and many many ducks, geese, wading birds, and birds of prey.

How was your spring hunt?
I hope it was safe, enjoyable, and that your conibears were well used.
Old 05-12-2003, 12:07 PM
Rob

Hey Lefty,

Gotta love spring beaver trapping. The weather's usually nice and you get a chance to see all the animals in their spring splendour.

I didn't do a lot this spring because of low prices but I did manage 13 beavers where I had to take them to keep some farmers I trap for happy.

Take care,
Rob
Old 05-18-2003, 09:27 PM
Lefty MacDanielson

I remeber that editorial a year or so back where you were talking about being attacked by that big beaver. I always think about that while I'm looking at their big yellow teeth, I'd hate to have them chomp down on me as they seem to manage to put the bite on the trees. A gopher got me as a kid and that was enough.
I (we) didn't take alot of beaver this year as well, with the cold weather and river flooding, but at least there were less beaver to skin too.
I attempted to put up a picture or two of the spring trapping here on the board. Is there a way without linking to my personal homepage?(I am not to crazy about putting up my link to my home page for the world to see) Is there any other way of inserting images? There are also a few winter trapping pictures there as well if there is any interest.

Anybody else have a good spring hunt?
Old 05-20-2003, 05:27 PM
Rob

Hey Lefty,

Not sure if you can post a photo right in the message or not. I'll do a bit more digging but I think this may be the only way.

I uploaded a photo of the beaver (after I shot her) that attacked me to the Outdoorsmen website. Click below to see the hog again.

www.albertaoutdoorsmen.ca...o-Test.jpg
Old 05-23-2003, 11:55 PM
Lefty MacDanielson

Default Link to Trapping Pictures

Well here you go. Not great pictures, but pictures none the less.

Some spring beaver pix as well as winter trapping pix.
Beaver, martin, Fisher, and a big fat ugly guy.

www3.telus.net/public/mac...drsmn.html
Old 05-25-2003, 12:23 PM
Critter pics

Default Critter pics

Took a looooong time to download but worth it. Nice pics.

Robin
Old 05-25-2003, 10:25 PM
Nice pics

Default Nice pics

Congrats Lefty......nice pics.Soon this summer crap will be over and we ll be trappin again and the world will be a better place....wahooooooo.Zepf :hat :hat
Old 05-28-2003, 11:17 PM
Lefty MacDanielson

Default Re: Nice pics

Slow down there, don't wish the summer away just yet. We still have a few months of fishing, canoeing, and kayaking left first. Oh yah and then the fall, I love the fall, cool, crisp (no mosquitoes), and HUNTING. Yah. And of course the gardening and camping.(I could do without the cutting and splitting of 13 cords of wood for the winter though)

I am getting ready for the winter season by making some snares and stretching boards though.
Old 10-14-2005, 07:53 AM
beavers

Default beavers

hello guys nice pictures there...im actually lookign to buy some beavers carcasses if any of you have any for sale you can emial me at pat_470@hotmail.com thanks guys