Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-10-2017, 05:30 PM

Thumbs down 9 Vehicles per day stolen in Lloydminster

So.... are people leaving keys in them to get insurance? A lot of the vehicles listed have PATS or chipped ignition, how are they bypassing them? Does every car thief carry a laptop? I hear that if you have a command start in the vehicle they use it for the bypass, but 9 per day, what the hell?
Man I wish claymores were legal.
Mine are always in the garage with cameras 24/7 but I can see one day someone getting brave or wearing a bellaclava which renders the camera useless other than to let me know it is time to warm up the baseball bat.

A truck was even stolen here a couple nights ago, 98 Dodge diesel, no chip in this one.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 11-10-2017, 05:35 PM

Default time to hide in the back seat under a blanket

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...nter-1.4397349

Edmonton police say that 33 idling vehicles have been stolen in just the last nine days.

That's 25 per cent of all the vehicles stolen in the city recently, and this is just the beginning of the cold months.

An idling vehicle can disappear in a matter of seconds, Staff Sgt. Ron Smithman told Edmonton AM Friday morning.

"It just happens that quickly. Just yesterday a fellow went into a business to grab something. Moments later he left to see his van driving away."

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 11-10-2017, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
"It just happens that quickly. Just yesterday a fellow went into a business to grab something. Moments later he left to see his van driving away."
To be fair, the fellow should have shut the engine off and lock the vehicle on his way out.

People leave their engines running when they go for 5-20 minutes shopping, and it happens in -10 and -30 temperature all the same. Any "large" store parking lot gets disgusting really quickly around here with all the smoke once the temperature starts dropping. And like I said, it does not have to drop that much, really. I don't care what kind of vehicle you have, you can shut it down for 15 minutes while grabbing some groceries, even if it is -30 outside.

This year, I started noticing some geniuses leaving their vehicle running on a hot summer day as well to keep the a/c going. Really? I do not know wtf is wrong with people, to be honest.

If your vehicle gets stolen because you left it idling for that one minute you had to run in to the business, it is on you! I have no clue what the insurance companies do in situations like this, but they should definitely be telling people that they are denying their claim and people should think with their heads next time they go shopping.

I am not saying that it is ok to steal if the opportunity presents itself. Those ****ers should be punished with some harsh labour while in confinement and not just shoveling seniors' driveways.

[/rant]
Old 11-10-2017, 11:39 PM

https://youtu.be/3d1MCkkd0kg
Old 11-10-2017, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bub View Post
To be fair, the fellow should have shut the engine off and lock the vehicle on his way out.

[/rant]
I agree! People leave the truck running with heat on when they go to lunch in winter and the a/c on when they wander around wal-mart, see it constantly. And not on command, they leave it running for an hour.

As Forrest says, stupid is as stupid does....

Old 11-11-2017, 11:09 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bub View Post

People leave their engines running when they go for 5-20 minutes shopping, and it happens in -10 and -30 temperature all the same. Any "large" store parking lot gets disgusting really quickly around here with all the smoke once the temperature starts dropping. And like I said, it does not have to drop that much, really. I don't care what kind of vehicle you have, you can shut it down for 15 minutes while grabbing some groceries, even if it is -30 outside.

This year, I started noticing some geniuses leaving their vehicle running on a hot summer day as well to keep the a/c going. Really? I do not know wtf is wrong with people, to be honest.

If your vehicle gets stolen because you left it idling for that one minute you had to run in to the business, it is on you! I have no clue what the insurance companies do in situations like this, but they should definitely be telling people that they are denying their claim and people should think with their heads next time they go shopping.

I am not saying that it is ok to steal if the opportunity presents itself. Those ****ers should be punished with some harsh labour while in confinement and not just shoveling seniors' driveways.

[/rant]
Unattended Idling vehicles is a western thing from what I have seen? It was rare to see a vehicle left idling unattended in northern ontario except for big trucks at a truck stop.
Old 11-11-2017, 11:16 AM

Lack of Inventory.
Old 11-10-2017, 05:38 PM

Plastic handle pieces and plastic steering cullem . It’s a easy steal
Old 11-10-2017, 05:48 PM

But to who?

How are they disappearing?
Must be some kind of organizationed crime.

Put out a reward for tips to find the chop shops. Junkies would grab the free cash.
Old 11-10-2017, 05:53 PM

Don't park by the court house after the judges let them out they steal a car to get home.
Old 11-10-2017, 06:01 PM
Banned

There was a short documentary on an American network about vehicle thefts and how quickly they can be stolen. Chips, steering wheel clubs, alarm systems, it doesn't matter anymore. These thieves are always one step ahead of the game when it comes to security measures. It is shocking to see the amount of vehicles that are stolen due to people leaving their keys in the vehicle.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wBr5G_e4av4
Old 11-10-2017, 06:12 PM

Time to put out some bait cars and lock up a few of these creeps.