Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
aw that sucks....$35,000 rebuild?

damned if you do or don't
Ya it would probably be all of that.
Old 11-10-2017, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwest Alta View Post
Construction outfit from town left their d8's running over night a couple years back. Took the motor out of one.
That was most likely caused by letting it sit at low idle without tarping it in. Caused it to drool and pump out the oil. Tarps and an elevated idle would've negated that. We actually very rarely see this anymore. Modern electronic engines will elevate their own idle and rarely, rarely drool.

The other scenario would be an oil or coolant leak and then running to destruction, without supervision.

Either way, that is unfortunate.

Quote:
aw that sucks....$35,000 rebuild?

damned if you do or don't
Quote:
Ya it would probably be all of that.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA $35,000!!! You better bump that up a fair bit, and we might cover parts. Labour is another story.

Last edited by HyperMOA; 11-10-2017 at 07:05 PM.
Old 11-10-2017, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky660 View Post
I'm curious to known how much damage is caused by idling a diesel all night as compared to starting it in the morning when plugged in and using quality oils. The amount of condensation in that motor after running all night would be significant and would run into corrosion problems. IMO you're probably better off running good oil, plugging it in minimize idle time. Happy owner, happy neighbours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You bring up one of the most important aspects of cold starting. QUALITY OIL!!! 0W40 full synthetic is a must and a great oil. 0W30 is very good too.

If the unit was run hot and parked and allowed to idle it would likely idle warm enough to evaporate and not build up condensation. Especially if a weather front is used.

A block heater, good oil, and 10 minutes idle time and you're laughing.

At -10C I would never leave anything idle all night. At -53C idling might be a better option. Especially on heavier trucks or equipment. A buggy requires more torque to turn over its oil pumps when cold, than the engine itself. Starting a buggy at that temp requires a herculean effort.
Old 11-10-2017, 07:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post
You bring up one of the most important aspects of cold starting. QUALITY OIL!!! 0W40 full synthetic is a must and a great oil. 0W30 is very good too.

If the unit was run hot and parked and allowed to idle it would likely idle warm enough to evaporate and not build up condensation. Especially if a weather front is used.

A block heater, good oil, and 10 minutes idle time and you're laughing.

At -10C I would never leave anything idle all night. At -53C idling might be a better option. Especially on heavier trucks or equipment. A buggy requires more torque to turn over its oil pumps when cold, than the engine itself. Starting a buggy at that temp requires a herculean effort.
-53 is a little on the cold side. I’m not so sure about running buggy’s in this temp. The damage might not show up right away but come spring it sure seems to show up.
Old 11-10-2017, 07:07 PM

Quote:
-53 is a little on the cold side. I’m not so sure about running buggy’s in this temp. The damage might not show up right away but come spring it sure seems to show up.
Fired up a fleet of 9 buggies in Conklin on New years day and the next day at -53C in I believe 2009.

2 straight days of napping in my truck waiting for buggies to warm up enough to start them. Not shifts, days.

It happens more than you might think.

Thank god it was 621's not 657's!!!
Old 11-10-2017, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post
Ok, this is simply incorrect. If it is -15, idling my truck for 7 minutes is not going to bring warm air into the cab. And as ctd stated, my windshield also fogs up sometimes if I start driving without warm air blowing. So at -15, my truck is idling for no less than 10 minutes, probably more like 15, before the warm air starts flowing. And if you would look at the temperature gauges, you can be assured that oil/coolant temp continues to climb after 7 minutes of idling.

Judging by the logic employed in the article it is not worth my time to read it.
Agreed, the ones who keep going on about 7 mins this, 7 mins that have never operated a diesel in Alberta winters.

7 mins is a good way to be handed a $15-20k bill.

PCFGA on Facebook
Old 11-10-2017, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmandell View Post
I am surprised that emissions and noise requirements for vehicles has not been improved in this province. One of these days a dbag in a dodge is going to roll coal past some NDP MLA, and the free ride on emissions in Alberta will change. In fact now that I think about it, maybe I will call my local MLA and suggest requiring annual emissions testing. It might be the only useful thing the NDP ever do.
oh ffs!

PCFGA on Facebook
Old 11-10-2017, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilsledder View Post
Like! And sorry to cabertosser that I didn’t explain to you in as much detail as him. Next time I will. Next time someone say you don’t need to warm up engines. Start a sled up and pin it tell me how far you go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Exactly!

PCFGA on Facebook
Old 11-10-2017, 07:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post
Fired up a fleet of 9 buggies in Conklin on New years day and the next day at -53C in I believe 2009.

2 straight days of napping in my truck waiting for buggies to warm up enough to start them. Not shifts, days.

It happens more than you might think.

Thank god it was 621's not 657's!!!
Yikes hard on iron. I got no doubt it happens. Can’t imagine it would be a very productive day. Lol.

Any engine should be properly warmed up before use.
Old 11-10-2017, 09:26 PM

OK, so the pistons are a bit misshapen when cold, do they machine them at room temp or do they heat both the pistons and the block to the engines operating temp for the piston turning and cylinder boring procedures?

I’d like to point out that the engines idling in a persons driveway where a neighbor might get PO’d are worlds apart from heavy equipment in remote northern locations. I know those machines need to keep running, but in a densely populated city the temperatures are neither as extreme nor are the everyday driver pickup truck engines nearly as large as the big machinery being referenced. That’s two entirely different discussions. Of course a larger piston with greater mass will have more dimensional changes from thermal expansion but in reference to the original discussion I was talking specifically about a truck the size that one would see in a typical neighbourhood driveway, that being a 3/4 or 1 ton HD pickup. I was not referring to a Cat 797 nor a seismic tundra buggy. Different mechanical animals and different circumstances. Note though that even remote work camps don’t allow parking idling trucks next to the buildings HVAC air intake; people in their own driveway should extend that same courtesy to their neighbors, simply warm the vehicle up further away from the neighboring structures or park in a heated garage. Being thoughtful is not rocket science.

To me the main point is courtesy, don’t go stinking up peoples homes or making the neighbourhood sound like a drag strip with obnoxiously loud exhaust systems. I like the rumble of a V8 as much as the next red blooded gearhead but many people feel the need to go overboard with their choice of exhaust systems/ white sunglasses / flat brimmed hats/ thick chain necklaces/ neck tattoos and other status symbols among the Summers Eve Army.
Old 11-10-2017, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
OK, so the pistons are a bit misshapen when cold, do they machine them at room temp or do they heat both the pistons and the block to the engines operating temp for the piston turning and cylinder boring procedures?

They are machined at room temp knowing the amount of expansion for the component at its rated operating temp.

I’d like to point out that the engines idling in a persons driveway where a neighbor might get PO’d are worlds apart from heavy equipment in remote northern locations. I know those machines need to keep running, but in a densely populated city the temperatures are neither as extreme nor are the everyday driver pickup truck engines nearly as large as the big machinery being referenced. That’s two entirely different discussions. Of course a larger piston with greater mass will have more dimensional changes from thermal expansion but in reference to the original discussion I was talking specifically about a truck the size that one would see in a typical neighbourhood driveway, that being a 3/4 or 1 ton HD pickup. I was not referring to a Cat 797 nor a seismic tundra buggy. Different mechanical animals and different circumstances. Note though that even remote work camps don’t allow parking idling trucks next to the buildings HVAC air intake; people in their own driveway should extend that same courtesy to their neighbors, simply warm the vehicle up further away from the neighboring structures or park in a heated garage. Being thoughtful is not rocket science.

Whether it is a 3524/C127 or a 4 HP Briggs and Stratton the same effect takes place proportionately. The mass difference does not change. Your piston in your Briggs and Stratton has more mass on the head than the skirt thus they will expand at different rates until the temp has stabilized. I am speaking of diesel engines in general, and proper warm-up procedures. Do you think that a 6.7 Ford, N14 Cummins or a CAT 3406 behave differently? No they don't. I'm not telling people to straight-pipe anything or to idle all night. I am telling people about realities of proper warm-up procedures. As there is so much wrong info being passed off. Do I have to argue about water heaters with you?

Some people don't have the option of a heated garage or garage at all. What is the solution then? I should hope that your HVAC system isn't drawing air from my driveway, or the street. If it is, blame your builder not me.

You are right about being thoughtful though. I would never straight pipe a vehicle that I have to warm-up for 15 minutes. I also won't point the exhaust towards my neighbours house either. When I am riding my obnoxious Harley I roll it down the driveway hit the starter and idle out of my neighbourhood. When I come home late on it, I try to have enough speed to kill it as I coast through my neighbourhood and up my driveway. Because the noise is obnoxious, that's why I do it. However, being thoughtful has nothing to do with proper warm-up of an engine. Why does idling your truck for 7 minutes not annoy your neighbours, but 15 minutes does?

To me the main point is courtesy, don’t go stinking up peoples homes or making the neighbourhood sound like a drag strip with obnoxiously loud exhaust systems. I like the rumble of a V8 as much as the next red blooded gearhead but many people feel the need to go overboard with their choice of exhaust systems/ white sunglasses / flat brimmed hats/ thick chain necklaces/ neck tattoos and other status symbols among the Summers Eve Army.

No argument there at all. Quit lumping my stock, emission compliant diesel in with them. It will warm-up (not idle) for 10-20 minutes every cold-start. If that is unacceptable to you, too bad. That is not unacceptable in our climate. If you choose not to do so that is fine by me. Don't complain that others do.
On a side note I have to look out my window to see if my truck starts in a 2x6 walled house with triple pane windows. I can't even hear it, neither should my neighbours.
Old 11-10-2017, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes_G View Post
These little sunflowers that can't come out of there warm house and get into a cold vehicle, so instead let it idle for a half hour and everyone on the street is forced to put up with it. Apparently there are a few in this thread even!!

Your vehicle warms up faster when you start it, and after a couple minute drive it!! Ignorant, arrogant, entitled... I could add way more words but they are all banned on this site.
How long does it take for Windows to stay defrosted? just drive blind through the neighborhood because enititled snowflakes don't like noise? All my diesels get idled until the ice starts to melt off the windshield, can't really drive when you can't see.....
Old 11-10-2017, 11:49 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikwhiskey View Post
How long does it take for Windows to stay defrosted? just drive blind through the neighborhood because enititled snowflakes don't like noise? All my diesels get idled until the ice starts to melt off the windshield, can't really drive when you can't see.....
Scrapers are $.79c at Canadian tire

Snowflakes scrape them off, the old gummers might snap a hip reaching across the windshield

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 11-11-2017, 01:08 AM

I guess warming up and clearing windows on electric vehicles might be challenging...BUT
they are noiseless....LOL
Old 11-11-2017, 07:39 AM

Are you the type of guy in camp who lets his door slam, talks loudly in the hallway, snoozes his alarm for two hours and yells at his TV? Or are you the type who minimizes the noise you make in respect for your neighbors? Treat others how you want to be treated. By all means idle your diesel, but if you live in a suburb and want to idle your truck for 30 minutes, don't straight pipe it. If your truck is loud, don't mat it on residential streets. You don't have to be silent 100% of the time, just have some respect for others.
Old 11-11-2017, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Scrapers are $.79c at Canadian tire

Snowflakes scrape them off, the old gummers might snap a hip reaching across the windshield

Doesnt seem to work after driving a km and the inside fogs up
Old 11-11-2017, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denied access View Post
Doesnt seem to work after driving a km and the inside fogs up
reminds me of my first truck, 1969 chevy. Had to carry an ATM card to scrape the snow off the inside of the windshield while driving. Only thing I ever had that was worse was a 1988 cj7. You literally got frostbite driving it and 3rd degree burns from the propane heater running beside you. Only drove it once to go ice fishing. We taped up everything, put carpet in, nothing helped. Had to get out and warm up in -20 every half hour on the way to the lake.

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 11-11-2017, 09:33 AM
Banned

Just to do my part I’m gonna fire up my truck and tractor just because.
Old 11-11-2017, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillyak View Post
Are you the type of guy in camp who lets his door slam, talks loudly in the hallway, snoozes his alarm for two hours and yells at his TV? Or are you the type who minimizes the noise you make in respect for your neighbors? Treat others how you want to be treated. By all means idle your diesel, but if you live in a suburb and want to idle your truck for 30 minutes, don't straight pipe it. If your truck is loud, don't mat it on residential streets. You don't have to be silent 100% of the time, just have some respect for others.
You pretty much hit the whole issue on the head.
Old 11-11-2017, 09:57 AM
Banned

I get that diesels make noise but maybe you should give the guy a break. I imagine he’s warming up his truck so he can go to WORK so some of you are faulting him for doing this.
Old 11-11-2017, 11:15 AM
Banned

reading this just re-enforces my thoughts on the direction our society is going......to hell with everyone else, i'll do as i wish and don't care one iota whether they like it or not.

it's all about ME and everyone else can go to hell.

the days when one did something a little extra to show some consideration seem to be over, and the ones as mentioned in the post somewhere above who wear the ink, flat brimmed hats, heavy chains and drive the offensively loud trucks that are jacked up and blow clouds of black smoke are becoming the norm.

rig pig heaven.....attitude seems to have become pervasive. can someone tell me why it's all off the rails?
Old 11-11-2017, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoiledsaskhunter View Post
reading this just re-enforces my thoughts on the direction our society is going......to hell with everyone else, i'll do as i wish and don't care one iota whether they like it or not.

the days when one did something a little extra to show some consideration seem to be over, and the ones as mentioned in the post somewhere above who wear the ink, flat brimmed hats, heavy chains and drive the offensively loud trucks that are jacked up and blow clouds of black smoke are becoming the norm.

rig pig heaven.....attitude seems to have become pervasive. can someone tell me why it's all off the rails?

These type guys also have small penis syndrome.
Old 11-11-2017, 12:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoiledsaskhunter View Post

And to even prove your point further about where our society is going, is all the snowflakes bitching and whining about every little thing they can because they have nothing better to do with their time.
Old 11-11-2017, 12:30 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_davey View Post
And to even prove your point further about where our society is going, is all the snowflakes bitching and whining about every little thing they can because they have nothing better to do with their time.
Everyone on here is a snowflake? I called that one wrong

Old 11-11-2017, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillyak View Post
X2
Old 11-11-2017, 06:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_davey View Post
that's ok crazy, jack her up and roll some smoke......you won't be short on company. park beside all the others at the rig shack.
Old 11-11-2017, 06:46 PM

Years ago, had a neighbor who liked to start up his motorcycle early in the morning and rev it half dozen times then shut off. ******* got paid back with Def Leppard cranked up with speakers aimed towards his bedroom window.
Old 11-11-2017, 07:16 PM

It’s crazy out there and even on here. The ones complaining the most about others being inconsiderate feel they are above everyone else and make sure the “small penis syndrome people” or the “special snowflake” diesel owners know it.

FFS, I hope you all choke on my diesel exhaust!

PCFGA on Facebook
Old 11-13-2017, 01:18 PM

Drove by someone today stopped in the middle of the road with traffic trying to drive around and guess what, their windows all fogged up and can't see a thing. Good thing they didn't let their vehicle idle for too long. lol
Old 11-13-2017, 01:59 PM

Quote:
reminds me of my first truck, 1969 chevy. Had to carry an ATM card to scrape the snow off the inside of the windshield while driving. Only thing I ever had that was worse was a 1988 cj7. You literally got frostbite driving it and 3rd degree burns from the propane heater running beside you. Only drove it once to go ice fishing. We taped up everything, put carpet in, nothing helped. Had to get out and warm up in -20 every half hour on the way to the lake.
I love it. I have a jeep too and I feel your pain, and frostbite.