Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-29-2012, 09:18 PM

Default Looking for Late Summer Laker Tips

Heading for Northern SK for an extended long weekend trip. Will be able to try for lakers. Any hints on how to do it with out a down rigger?
Old 08-29-2012, 09:49 PM

Default Tips for Lakers

Hello;

Pick up 2oz and 4 oz Slips Weight, you put them through your line then put the line through the circle eyelet, set them 10 to 15ft from your lure and when the fish hits the weight goes to the nose of the fish!

Go down to the Fishing Hole, ask one of the guys that your going for Lakers and ask him for the white and glow tube bodies and jig heads, they will set you up!!.....Pick up the trout scent in the bottle, use both together and it's Killer!!

Start at the bottom and bang it on the bottom, just a little switch on the rod will give you the action you need, then just work every 5ft up, give it 8-10 jigs and then 5ft more!

Use a stiff rod as setting the hook is crucial when deep jigging, also use Fire Line 18-20 lb, very important, increases your hook setting percentage, put a barrel swivel the tie on 6ft of 18-10lb Flora Carbon Mono, Fish can't see it!

Hope this Helps!!

Tight Lines and Have a Great Trip.!!

HW

Old 08-29-2012, 10:03 PM

Thanks!
Appreciate it.

I did pick up some 3 way swivels and regular weights, but will stop in tomorrow and get the slip weights.

Still have some jumbo jelly tube jigs left over from the Cold Lake hardwater season. Never dawned on me to use them in open water.
Old 08-29-2012, 10:12 PM
Banned

You can also use the 3-way with a 2-4oz weight on the bottom and either a spoon or a crank or a minnow off the side.

super slow trolling/drifting or bottom bouncing.

Might consider river mouths and shallower than the typical 90feet areas if the fish are starting to move around pre-spawn. I haven't been up there at that time, so I can't comment on their spawn timing.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 338Bluff View Post
Any hints on how to do it with out a down rigger?
I have found Jet/Trip Z and Dipsy/Deeper divers to work well if you don't have downriggers. I tend to like the Trip Z best as it "releases" from dive mode when the fish hits. Since it does not have any weights in it you don't have to fight the weight or the diver Just the fish. I'm sure if you Google it you can find some U Tube videos that will explain it better than I can in words. They are also quite inexpensive.

After that troll spoons or anchovy rigs fairly slowly and you should be OK.

Good Luck and have a Great Weekend
Old 08-30-2012, 09:41 AM

Downriggers are best but the next best thing is dipsy divers.

With a dipsy you can prescisely control the depth of your presentation and there is no guessing (as there is with weights or other diving assit products). A line counter reel (Okuma has one for around $50) is a big help here.

Once you mark the fish, determine where they are holding, it's just a matter of letting the right amount of line out according to the dipsy chart (provided in the pkg).

My guess is the lakers are going to be holding down from 50'-80' this time of year and you need to get your presentation down to where most of the fish are. Sure there are some that move up a little higher but the concentration of fish is where you want to be.

Best method, run the dipsy, 36", to a silver flasher (or dodger if you prefer a slower wobble), 30", and then to a spoon. We like Williams wobblers as the wobble seems to work better than other types of spoons on lakers.

Make sure you use a bead chain or a few extra swivels. Start to troll 1.5 to 2.2 for lakers and vary the speed a little.You will see if it a "like it faster" day or "slow it down" day.

I have used ford fenders, willow leafs instead of the flasher but it seems, inevitably, the flasher works better.

You will catch them.