Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-08-2017, 11:10 AM
Banned

I am finding it interesting how many of you believe some have rights that others should not have. I don't pull a trailer. Does that mean I should not be allowed to own a 3/4 ton diesel? Also some of you say that if I want to idle my diesel I should move to the country to do it to m hearts content. I say, if you don't like my diesel idling, why don't you move away?

Old 11-08-2017, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Is their any real mechanical reason why you have to "warm" up the diesel truck and if so what does the manual say Exactly?
Yes and no. A half hour warmup is very excessive. What's most important is to not apply high fuel rates to a cold engine. The concern with applying high fuel rates to a cold engine is that the piston will expand faster than the cylinder and cause scuffing. 4 point contact of a piston in a cylinder is a clear indication of not waiting for the coolant temp to come up before working it hard.

High idle time contributes to carbon packing of piston rings and plugging of aftertreatment systems along with oil dilution.

Extended idling at low coolant temps builds varnish on the valves and guides, this is not a problem until they stick and the piston closes them.

Detroit Diesel recommends a five minute warm up at an elevated idle. The caveat is that you cannot apply full fuel until the engine is at operating temp. In extreme temps I'd give it another 5 minutes.

So I guess if the neighbour wishes to run his straight piped diesel loud and proud down the street at full throttle right out of the driveway a half hour idle is indeed needed.

Completely unnecessary however if he's willing to drive normally for a few miles.

Diesel engines run large cooling packages and don't make much heat at idle, this makes it difficult to warm up efficiently. Elevating the idle increases heat produced and decreases warm up time.

I speak purely from a heavy truck perspective. If it's good enough for a 500+hp commercial engine worth more than an entire pickup it's good enough for a throw away diesel in a pickup.
Old 11-08-2017, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post
I am finding it interesting how many of you believe some have rights that others should not have. I don't pull a trailer. Does that mean I should not be allowed to own a 3/4 ton diesel? Also some of you say that if I want to idle my diesel I should move to the country to do it to m hearts content. I say, if you don't like my diesel idling, why don't you move away?

You have every right to own a diesel and idle itJust like I can play loud gangsta rap outside every morning
Old 11-08-2017, 11:23 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott h View Post
You have every right to own a diesel and idle itJust like I can play loud gangsta rap outside every morning
That's right. You can. You also are probably unemployed.
Old 11-08-2017, 11:30 AM

Quote:
That's right. You can. You also are probably unemployed.
That’s funny coming from someone who’s claim to fame is having a diesel truck and fathering kids. Sounds kinda impressive 😂
Old 11-08-2017, 11:55 AM

Quote:
I couldn't care less where they smoke their weed but she does. if I had a dick waking me every morning with his diesel on high idle I would spend a bit of time making his life unpleasant in one way or another. I guess the moral is , act like an ass and you will receive the same in return.

Making his life unpleasant because he's taking care of his truck? Youre the equivalent of pond scum. Don't fight fire with fire bud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-08-2017, 11:56 AM

Default e brake

older dodge diesels run ten minutes on a cold morning with e brake engaged my older boy used to do this said it helped warm up the engine quickly , don,t know if it was harmful or not
Old 11-08-2017, 11:56 AM
Banned

So why, when you put "idling a diesel engine" into Google, all you see is pages and sites that say you don't need to idle your engine longer that 10 minutes and that by driving or under a load is the best way to get it warm enough to operating temp?

Especially with the newer diesls?

I almost expected a plethora of pages and sites to say to make sure you run it for 30 minutes or more, but most seem to think it's a habit and misconception of a bygone era.
Old 11-08-2017, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETOWNCANUCK View Post
So why, when you put "idling a diesel engine" into Google, all you see is pages and sites that say you don't need to idle your engine longer that 10 minutes and that by driving or under a load is the best way to get it warm enough to operating temp?

Especially with the newer diesls?

I almost expected a plethora of pages and sites to say to make sure you run it for 30 minutes or more, but most seem to think it's a habit and misconception of a bygone era.

High idle is different than a regular idle by about 1000rpm. Equivalent to driving under load. So idle for 10 drive for 10 on regular idle it's warm. Idle for 20 minutes on high idle it's the same.

Old 11-08-2017, 12:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
That’s funny coming from someone who’s claim to fame is having a diesel truck and fathering kids. Sounds kinda impressive 😂
Old 11-08-2017, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
And that folks is why we have laws, common sense and common courtesy is not common anymore.
This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 11-08-2017, 12:17 PM

Need a residential diesel ban province wide.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 11-08-2017, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
Probably would be a lot of support....thanks to a few individuals
Old 11-08-2017, 12:24 PM

You know, I have a good friend, my hunting partner, who has a 2017 1 ton Ram with all the bells and whistles...and a stock muffler. That truck is quieter than any diesel I have ever stood beside. You can stand right beside the thing and have a normal conversation.

Obviously, he needs to get with the whole 'Berta Boys mentality, and get some straight pipes or stacks on that thing right away, to exercise his 'rights'. Yup, a person has to do what they have to do, and nobody better tell them otherwise. Maybe get it chipped to lay down clouds of black smoke when taking off from the lights too.

People need to stand up for their rights, and if anybody else doesn't like it, well they can just suck it! 'Berta!

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 11-08-2017, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
You know, I have a good friend, my hunting partner, who has a 2017 1 ton Ram with all the bells and whistles...and a stock muffler. That truck is quieter than any diesel I have ever stood beside. You can stand right beside the thing and have a normal conversation.

Obviously, he needs to get with the whole 'Berta Boys mentality, and get some straight pipes or stacks on that thing right away, to exercise his 'rights'. Yup, a person has to do what they have to do, and nobody better tell them otherwise. Maybe get it chipped to lay down clouds of black smoke when taking off from the lights too.

People need to stand up for their rights, and if anybody else doesn't like it, well they can just suck it! 'Berta!

I could get on board with this guy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdDxjge5hmY
Old 11-08-2017, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post

I hope when Karma catches up with that guy, they make a video and put it on youtube as well. Edit.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 11-08-2017, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
Need to enforce having mufflers. Warm up time is fine. Straight piped cummins at 5am is not. I live in the straight pipe capital of Canada I think. Poorly tuned, oversized turbo's, straight piped diesels belching incredibly thick clouds of black smoke at every intersection.

I pity any passenger sitting in the cab of a truck with vertical straight pipes through the box a foot from their head.
Old 11-08-2017, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post

Good demonstration of a complete idiot, I'll bet he was drinking beer and wearing his ball cap on backwards. All it takes is one moron to ruin it for a lot other people.
Old 11-08-2017, 01:03 PM

that smoke should make the bikes get off the white line and move over for there safety
Old 11-08-2017, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDK71 View Post
that smoke should make the bikes get off the white line and move over for there safety
And the loud mufflers mean juvenile looking for attention.
Old 11-08-2017, 01:25 PM

After having nothing but problem after problem with the emissions system on my truck I had it removed.
Every 2000 to 2500km it would be in the shop for some problem with the system.
Once the truck was deleted I have had no issues under the hood since.

The real problem is no one offers a decent after market muffler for these trucks.

To be honest with you even when my truck had its OEM exhaust on it the noise it made was not much less then I have now at Idle unless I have the Turbo brake on. ( I have two aftermarket mufflers installed)
At full throttle it is louder now then stock but who cares when your on the highway anyways.

A few years ago it was proposed in the Government to ban diesel pickup trucks in Alberta. Along with making sure every vehicle had its stock exhaust on along with all OEM installed parts. IE lights, nothing after market....

It didn't go very far.
Old 11-08-2017, 01:30 PM
Banned

Quote:

Because OA is made of up two different kinds of people...those who are considerate of others...and those that aren't.
So which camp do you fall in (though of course your previous posts prove this to be a redundant question).
Old 11-08-2017, 01:33 PM

It's too bad people can't be reasonable and get along.

My next door neighbor sometimes idles his diesel a long time. He's also making noise with his skidoo and quad. He has a camper and trailer in driveway or street longer than he's supposed to, and his kid keeps shooting pucks over our fence...

But you know what? I've also come home and found that he has cleared our driveway. He picks up our flyers and news papers when we are away, or brings in our garbage cans. He's a good guy, and I'm happy to overlook a lot of things that others might complain about. It's called being a good neighbor, and sometimes you have to put some effort into it.
Old 11-08-2017, 01:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
Because OA is made of up two different kinds of people...those who are considerate of others...and those that aren't.
So which camp do you fall in (though of course your previous posts prove this to be a redundant question).
FWIW I have a muffler on my truck. I hate straightpipes. My truck does not spew black smoke. I am simply laughing at the "I don't like it so ban it" crowd.
Old 11-08-2017, 01:38 PM

^ Emissions systems are improving but they are not perfect. The progressing emissions requirements make it difficult to get all the bugs worked out. About the time all the bugs get worked out the targets move and more changes are needed. The target is constantly moving.

Good on you for installing mufflers of some kind at least. Mufflers are available in the heavy truck market. It would depend if you have room for them whether or not they would be suitable.

Edit- this was directed at ctd
Old 11-08-2017, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post

My next door neighbor sometimes idles his diesel a long time. He's also making noise with his skidoo and quad. He has a camper and trailer in driveway or street longer than he's supposed to, and his kid keeps shooting pucks over our fence...

But you know what? I've also come home and found that he has cleared our driveway. He picks up our flyers and news papers when we are away, or brings in our garbage cans. He's a good guy, and I'm happy to overlook a lot of things that others might complain about. It's called being a good neighbor, and sometimes you have to put some effort into it.
aces man that's a good neighbor
Old 11-08-2017, 01:41 PM

Quote:

So true. I'm not a perfect neighbour but we all get along and help each other out when needed.
Old 11-08-2017, 02:04 PM

Default Unruly neighbours?

I found the best way to get a point across to a to a knuckle dragging neighbour in the city was to snowblow the yard and fire frozen border collie feces over the fence into his.

Nothing says get with the program to a renter quite like frozen turds banging off metal siding. Even better when they don't discover them until spring melt.

City dwellers have to live in close proximity with one another and it's not easy. Best to be considerate of one anothers space. If it's a one way street on the considerate side and a cold winter, well Fido comes in damn handy.

Gas mowing your grass at 6:30 am? Big no-no. Loud backyard parties til 4 am...same. Conversely you'll get the same from me and probably help building that fence or shed, and maybe your driveway shoveled while you're in Mexico for two weeks.
Old 11-08-2017, 02:16 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:

Absolutely!! Being a perfect neighbour all the time is impossible, but being a thoughtful neighbour who helps out and is a decent person goes a heck of a long way to helping overlook small issues that crop up now and again!
Old 11-08-2017, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
That explanation is hysterical, the pistons are in constant contact with the cylinder walls and tolerances are engineered in to allow for the coefficients of expansion of the engine part materials. Please,tell us more

A cast iron engine block will not expand as much as an aluminum piston, so the premise that it’s not expanding as fast as the piston would not change regardless of whether the engine was warmed up for 2 minutes or an entire week. The aluminium will expand at roughly twice the rate of the cast iron, so the cast iron cylinder is machined to be the correct size for the expanded piston. There are even expansion rate differences between cast aluminum and forged aluminum pistons so those factors are engineered for as well. Your neighbor only accepted the explanation because he is clueless about engines. Anything more than 10 minutes of warmup is overkill and 5 minutes is plenty.

That is hysterical right there! The pistons are not in constant contact with the cylinder! The rings yes but not the pistons, there’s an oil film that protects them from contact! I am not the only one that said this very thing on their thread! So lighten up!