Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-15-2009, 12:00 PM

Default The Bow on Wednesday afternoon and evening

Am in Calgary tommorrow and want to catch some trout. Anyone want to join me? I can do the Calgary area of west where the view is better.
Tony
Old 09-15-2009, 03:33 PM

i am going to go to McKinnon Flats tomorrow afternoon while the kids are in school Wish i had all afternoon and evening (probably still wouldn't catch a fish ) I need some schoolin on flyfishing the bow Lots jumpin just not the right fly
Old 09-15-2009, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyflyfish View Post
Am in Calgary tommorrow and want to catch some trout. Anyone want to join me? I can do the Calgary area of west where the view is better.
Tony
Would love to join you at the Bow, have not fished the bow since leaving Cochrane..... But than you hate me:lo l:
Old 09-15-2009, 05:54 PM

i wish i could but i work until 5...
Old 09-15-2009, 08:32 PM

i was going to go tonight but i fell asleep! i might try bowness park tomorrow night.
Will be wearing beige waders, green vest and a camo hat.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:54 PM

I went to fishing near bowness park. I saw some jumps, but not able to land any. Kind of slow, and the water is very low right now.
I would suggest go to Douglasdale instead, I had pretty lucks there last few times.
Prince nymph works fine at Douglasdale.
Anyone has idea what's good dry flys to use right now???
Old 09-15-2009, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericlin0122 View Post
I went to fishing near bowness park. I saw some jumps, but not able to land any. Kind of slow, and the water is very low right now.
I would suggest go to Douglasdale instead, I had pretty lucks there last few times.
Prince nymph works fine at Douglasdale.
Anyone has idea what's good dry flys to use right now???
try downstream by the footbridge, on the west side of the river, or work your way down from the park and fish all the little breakwaters along the shore, I piled a lot of those myself, and there are a lot of trout hanging around them. the trout hang out along the dropoff on the west side, the whitefish mostly along the east shore. until you get below the railroad bridge then its mostly whitefish til you get down to the springs

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 09-15-2009, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
try downstream by the footbridge, on the west side of the river, or work your way down from the park and fish all the little breakwaters along the shore, I piled a lot of those myself, and there are a lot of trout hanging around them. the trout hang out along the dropoff on the west side, the whitefish mostly along the east shore. until you get below the railroad bridge then its mostly whitefish til you get down to the springs
Do you mean from here ? and fishing alone the shore (to the east).
Old 09-15-2009, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericlin0122 View Post
Do you mean from here ? and fishing alone the shore (to the east).
at the risk of being seen as idle chit chat by some, oh yah. try off the end of each of those long boulder breakwaters. and the end of the parking lot at the west end of the park. even under the western footbridge there are a few good holes, and further west if you want to try that way. the footbridge I was mentioning is the one further downstream tho, before the train bridge. there are some piles of boulders along the shore, I piled a few of them myself. I have had over 100 trout hit along there, maybe hooked 10 of them, but im not a fly fisherman once you get to the footbridge by the railroad bridge, go up on the bridge and look into the river, you will see a ledge about 10 to 15 feet out from shore, depending on water levels. you should be able to see the odd trout hanging along the dropoff. There are some deep holes along the shore there, by the huge boulders, there are some BIG browns in there as well. Caught my biggest rainbow there also, had it on for all of 2 jumps. the opposite shore is great for whitefish, all year long. be careful you dont catch your line in the wires under the railroad bridge tho. downstream of the bridge is a nice hole too.. some nice trout in there, and maybe 10 feet and more out is great for whitefish. there is a nice hole for whites on both sides just a few feet further downstream too. both close and far from shore. got my personal best for whitefish right there, 38 in a few hours.

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 09-15-2009, 09:51 PM

on JTS's map there is a spot east of the railroad bridge. It says park at the park gate and walk five minutes. Do they mean park at Bowness and walk downstream? Would I then pass the boulders and the rail bridge?
This is sounding good for tomorrow as long as I know where I can park the truck and trailer0I know I can't camp there but still need to park.
Old 09-15-2009, 10:25 PM

If you look at JTS's map and look at the spot I marked just below Bearspaw dam, there's a parking lot there that you could park your trailer at and walk upstream or downstream from there, some nice spots along the northern bank. If the parking lot is full (lots of dog walkers) you can park a bit further east along the road as there's some big pullout spots along the railway tracks.

I'm busy in the evening or I could show you a few spots. But if you are down in south Calgary late afternoon I could show you some spots around Glenmore Trail before dinner as I have a few hours to kill.
Old 09-15-2009, 10:35 PM

lol i can't find the bearspaw dam. is it your spot that says best to come on weekedays?
Old 09-15-2009, 10:47 PM

OK found it-am I parking on the north or south side of the river?
That is where I'll be in the afternoon-evening.
t
Old 09-16-2009, 10:11 AM

The northside, the south side is a private golf course and they might have issues with you if you park your trailer on the 10th hole green
Old 09-16-2009, 06:36 PM

Hey Wil! There are no fish there-tried for a couple of hours. Met up with Steve the bad mad wolf. Thanks for the locate!

T
Old 09-16-2009, 07:27 PM

You didn't use my secret fly...dynamite
Old 09-16-2009, 07:28 PM

haha you cheater, no wonder you caught so many in the elk..
Old 09-16-2009, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyflyfish View Post
Hey Wil! There are no fish there-tried for a couple of hours. Met up with Steve the bad mad wolf. Thanks for the locate!

T
Do you mean by the footbridge (WayneChristie mentioned)?
Old 09-16-2009, 08:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by baitfisher83 View Post
haha you cheater, no wonder you caught so many in the elk..
The guy is asking for advice on fishing the Bow at Bearspaw/Bowness.......just curious; what does this post have to do with ANYTHING?!?!?
If you want to talk to some guy about using dynamite on the Elk or even dynamiting elk ....... start a new post !
Old 09-16-2009, 11:55 PM

Tony, Baitfisher and myself are taking the mickey out of each other from our time at the AO gathering, just relax its all in good spirits.
Old 09-17-2009, 02:14 AM

Saw some random fishing in the middle of the river.
i was ferrying trains around by the bridge at 50th ave.
Anybody there from here?
Old 09-17-2009, 08:17 AM

if ya dont like it, dont read it, no one's forcing you to.....
Old 09-17-2009, 12:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by baitfisher83 View Post
if ya dont like it, dont read it, no one's forcing you to.....

I clicked on this thread because I am from Calgary, and the title was the Bow River. You're right. Nobody forced me to click on it. I did it all by myself because I was interested in reading information about the Bow River.
How 'bout this. If YOU have some knowledge on the title of the thread; post it. If you don't have any info or anything constuctive to add, don't.
Don't get me wrong........if you want to talk about some past experience on some other river at some other time, please post it!!!
My aplologies to the original poster. Just my 2c's. Won't post again on here. BF83, if you have a comment or reply, PM me or start a new thread.
Old 09-17-2009, 03:02 PM

no hard feelings! Tease away-had a great afternoon on the Bow-no fish but thats OK
Old 09-17-2009, 04:42 PM

Awe poor tonyflyfish. I feel bad for u . i am the worst at flyfishing. i know this cuz even the co 's stopped to laugh at me once (never even asked for my license) I caught my first one on the bow with my fly rod
Went to the fishing hole nice lady set up my fly rod (i wasn't tying the knot's right) Then i met another fisherman on the water and he gave me some tips and i caught one. Then my sandles broke and i had to go home

Better luck next time
jinx
Old 09-20-2009, 08:40 PM

So much fish there near the footbridge.......
I wish this part of river open all year.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:20 PM

be carfull bobbyP. These people are very sensitive. Even if you have a valid point (like you did) you could end up being edited.
(big f*^%$* deal)
Great people, great site!
Old 09-21-2009, 09:29 PM

not to sensitive-lol-he had a very good point! trouble is a few of us know each other and tend to through in the odd joke or sarcasm. but you are right this is a great site for info. now i have to stop thinking Bow or I will have to come back this week and try again
Old 09-21-2009, 09:49 PM

The bow is a great river, but i find its best in a drift boat. Its easier to get from hole to hole while floating.
See you on the river!!