Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 03-23-2015, 08:01 AM

Default Bear Apprentice 3

Wondering if anyone has expierence with this bow? Bought it for my wife yesterday. Her draw length is 25 and she's pulling 35 pounds currently so the bow for her really well. I have been heating mixed reviews about it but it was on sale for over a 100 off so we figured why not.

Will she be able to hunt deer with it?

Thanks.
Old 03-23-2015, 09:50 AM

As long as she's confortable with it, that bow is as good as any in that price range/ market. Awesome versatility to have her grow to pulling 40 lbs (which is the minimum allowed for hunting).

Get her setup up correctly (proper draw length, peep sight height, arrows). If you can't do this yourself, take it/her to a pro shop. You want to get her setup properly right off the start.

The only think I'd change on that bow right off the bat would be to upgrade the string to something of better quality, like world's best strings.
Old 03-23-2015, 10:06 AM

All 3 of my kids who shoot archery have had a Bear Apprentice. My one sons still does. I think they are good bows, the accessories that come with them are not great especially the sight. But for $50-$60 you can get a Cobra, Tru-glo or Trophy Ridge... that is a big step up.

As far as the draw weight goes, are the limb bolts maxed out? If not then as long as you can get her pulling over 40lbs by the time hunting season rolls around then she will be good to go. A sturdy cut-on-contact broadhead would be the way I would lean.

The bow is a great way to get her started and a platform that will last her a long time, a lifetime really. I am sure you will want to upgrade most of the accessories overtime and it will make a very nice package. Or if she decides a couple years from now she wants a bow a step up from entry level then you should not have too much trouble selling it.

Good luck to both of you, sounds like you have a hunting partner for a long time!