Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 01-17-2018, 09:32 AM
Banned

Default Dead Nockturnal H nocks

Does anyone have any dead Nockturnal H nocks? I know the batteries are not replaceable but I am looking at building some arrows for 3D and the can not light up but I want them to fly the same. I have one bow and one sight and don’t want to go through the hassle of resighting again before hunting season.

Thanks
Old 01-17-2018, 09:59 AM

That's going to be tough as most people keep the burnt out ones for the same reason or just for practice. I use Nocturnal and see no difference in point of impact out to 50 yards compared to standard Gold Tip nocks. Most 3D courses barely exceed 40 yards, so I would see how much difference you really have at 50 yards before spending the money.
Old 01-17-2018, 11:37 AM
Banned

Yeah, I know. But not everyone here does that uses Nockturnals will shoot 3D. I hVe a few now but to kill them I’ll have to leave them on and then buy new ones for hunting. I’m hoping to avoid that.
Old 01-17-2018, 12:14 PM

Some of them are replaceable - check this link.

There are some online instructions where they show how to use the Thill bobber batteries to replace the Lumenok ones. Might be worth a try?

Old 01-17-2018, 12:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
Some of them are replaceable - check this link.

There are some online instructions where they show how to use the Thill bobber batteries to replace the Lumenok ones. Might be worth a try?

Was this link for me? Thanks if it was but it’s exactly the opposite of what I’m looking for. It’s actually tougher for me to get what I’m after now, lol.
Old 01-17-2018, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmisfits View Post
Was this link for me? Thanks if it was but it’s exactly the opposite of what I’m looking for. It’s actually tougher for me to get what I’m after now, lol.
Haha! Sorry, lack of sleep... Your post got me thinking of the one or two dead nocks I have and how I wanted to bring them back to life, and that started me down my typical ADD rabbit trail...
Old 01-17-2018, 03:12 PM
Banned

It’s all good. I did do a search but couldn’t find replacement batteries so I figured I would try. Now that you’ve pointed out you can get them, I’ll probably just buy some more mocks and drain the batteries. If I need them working I can just replace them.

So let’s change this then, anyone have any dead Nockturnal batteries? Lol
Old 01-17-2018, 04:03 PM
Banned

As a matter of fact, I just went and grabbed the other two brand new packs I have. It looks like I bought the wrong ones though. I got X instead of H����
Old 01-17-2018, 10:23 PM

My solution was to fill regular hollow nocks with epoxy and then once they dried I ground a little bit off of the end that goes into the arrow until they were the same weight as the lighted nock. Worked out really good. I don't think you would see much of a difference by just using regular nocks in 3d though. The reason I did it was so that I could tune broadheads without using the power in the lighted nock up, as Broadhead flight is extremely sensitive to spine, whereas field point flight is not as sensitive in my experience.

Jmo

Norm
Old 01-18-2018, 05:58 AM

Default Great Idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by normanrd View Post
My solution was to fill regular hollow nocks with epoxy and then once they dried I ground a little bit off of the end that goes into the arrow until they were the same weight as the lighted nock. Worked out really good. I don't think you would see much of a difference by just using regular nocks in 3d though. The reason I did it was so that I could tune broadheads without using the power in the lighted nock up, as Broadhead flight is extremely sensitive to spine, whereas field point flight is not as sensitive in my experience.

Jmo

Norm
This!
Old 01-18-2018, 07:27 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by normanrd View Post

Jmo

Norm
I have some hot glue. Maybe I’ll try that.

I figured out that it’s only 9 or 11 grains difference, I can’t remember off the top of my head. But I want everything to be the same. Maybe I’m being picky but some things for me aren’t good enough at close enough. Especially if it’s something easy to fix.
Old 01-18-2018, 07:47 AM

Once you get into 3d you will find out soon you burn through nocks. I wouldn't worry about the 5-10 grains difference between the Nockturnals and conventional nock. I would suggest pin nocks for 3d.

You get a lot of small targets and close shots, that means trying to stuff 4-5 arrows in a small area there is going to be some contact....the odd time a Robin Hood. I have burned through 6 or more nocks in a weekend before. If you are going to use dead nockturnals...you'll need to find a steady supply

LC
Old 01-18-2018, 08:04 AM
Banned

I haven’t ever really looked into it but will pin nocks fit in regular arrows? Again, I don’t want different arrows and a different site or want to have to re-sight in all the time. Maybe I’m just trying to cut corners but I won’t be shooting to be competitive at this point. Just to keep me and my aim in the right form.
Old 01-18-2018, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmisfits View Post
I haven’t ever really looked into it but will pin nocks fit in regular arrows? Again, I don’t want different arrows and a different site or want to have to re-sight in all the time. Maybe I’m just trying to cut corners but I won’t be shooting to be competitive at this point. Just to keep me and my aim in the right form.
You can get pin nocks to fit almost any Arrow, and they will be close to the weight of your lighted nock once the bushing and nock are installed. Likely your best solution. Good suggestion Kris.
Old 01-18-2018, 10:53 AM
Banned

That really does sound like the best option yet. Thanks guys.
Old 01-18-2018, 02:50 PM
Banned

Just as a matter of interest to someone else, I tried filling an empty nock with hot glue. I only gained 1.4 grains on a standard sized nock I had laying around. That was not enough for sure. Still trying to find out what pin nocks will fit into my arrows, either the Easton Axis 6mm, or the Easton Hexx. I need new arrows either way but I do have some Axis from this last season still.
Old 01-18-2018, 03:22 PM

Default Hi

I used jb weld and drilled a hole in the blind end so the air would come out and it could fill fully. I ground them to 20 grains. Gained more than I needed on most of them