Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-08-2017, 04:05 PM

So without going the custom route who makes a left hand 6.5cm in a true short action excluding savage. What i like about the 6.5x55 in the T3 action is the ability to seat your bullet "way out". I have some 3x times fired 6.5x55 lapua brass that has only ever been neck sized, primer pockets are like new and it chambers slick as butter.
Old 12-08-2017, 04:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
So without going the custom route who makes a left hand 6.5cm in a true short action excluding savage. What i like about the 6.5x55 in the T3 action is the ability to seat your bullet "way out". I have some 3x times fired 6.5x55 lapua brass that has only ever been neck sized, primer pockets are like new and it chambers slick as butter.
Remington makes a LH barrelled action in 6.5 creed
Bit im told they wont be many in canada
Old 12-08-2017, 04:40 PM
Banned

Most, not all, but most of you need to learn the difference between a cartridge and a caliber.
Old 12-09-2017, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
I don't understand why anyone would opt for a magnum rifle when the max range is 400yds?

Can someone explain to me the advantage of using a magnum would be at the 0-400yd range?
Hits harder.

Were you looking for more than that?

Well the OP said he had a .308 already, and it sounded to me like he wanted something for longer range. While his BLR would do fine, he did specify moose as a target.

At longer range the magnum with higher BC bullets would be my pick, even though I'm a heavier bullet at moderate velocity guy at heart.

Generally you're looking at 2/3 the drop at 400 and 25% more energy.

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 12-09-2017, 06:30 AM

Quote:
The CM has the advantage over the swede and the 6.5x284 by fitting into a short action. It loses out in performance to the 6.5x284 but has 3x the barrel life. It fits longer, high BC bullets into the 2.8" mag box that come standard on most SA rifles than the 260rem. It's basically a ballistic twin to bothe the swede and the 260 with only a minimal edge over the 6.5x47. Over the counter premium ammo, along with premium brass such as lapua are readily available for the CM where as the others not so much.

The CM really was designed to be everything the others in its category missed. Knowing the ballistic advantages of the 6.5 diameter bullet, Hornady set out to build the perfect short action long range cartridge. They did one heck of a job on advertising, but they also developed one heck of a cartridge. It's not just all hype, the 6.5 Creedmoor can actually back up all its hype, and that's the reason it's becoming one of the most, if not the most popular new cartridge today.
Just picking on a couple points here, but there is no way that that the Creedmore gets 3 times the barrel length over a 6.5x284. Barrel life is direct function of pressure and inversely proportional to how much powder is going down the bore as well as how small the bullet is. No free lunches there.

The legitimate reason for the Creedmore's existence is the AR-15. Not to take away from it, but it is not an improvement on the .260. And if you are running a standard length action like the Tikka will have, the Swede leaves both in the dust.

Good advertising, but it's a little bit like reintroducing the .30 WCF as replacing the antiquated 30-06 and .308 because it uses less powder and happens to suit a certain platform...

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 12-09-2017, 07:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactical Lever View Post
Just picking on a couple points here, but there is no way that that the Creedmore gets 3 times the barrel length over a 6.5x284. Barrel life is direct function of pressure and inversely proportional to how much powder is going down the bore as well as how small the bullet is. No free lunches there.

The legitimate reason for the Creedmore's existence is the AR-15. Not to take away from it, but it is not an improvement on the .260. And if you are running a standard length action like the Tikka will have, the Swede leaves both in the dust.

Good advertising, but it's a little bit like reintroducing the .30 WCF as replacing the antiquated 30-06 and .308 because it uses less powder and happens to suit a certain platform...
Only going by what I've read (I did do a pile of reading on 6.5's recently), the competition shooters are saying 1000-1500 rounds before they have to set back the barrel and the Creedmoor is in the 3500-4000 range.

Where the Creedmoor outshines the 260 is in twist rate and room in the mag box, granted today I imagine a lot of manufacturers are using a 1:8 twist on their 260 barrels. The one area the swede can't compete is in a short action. If I were to get a 6.5 in a long action I would opt for a 6.5x284 or 6.5-06 and get a real jump in performance, the gain the swede has over the creed is minimal and in my eyes not worth stepping up to a long action to attain.

Of course none of this matters if you don't want or need a short action, or if you don't care about recoil, or if you don't care about ammo availability because there's always a better cartridge depending on you requirements. I'm having a rifle built right now with these requirements in mind:

-Ultralight
-Short action
-Long barrel life
-0-600yd hunting range
-low recoil

After a lot of research I came up with the Creedmoor, although the 260ai and the 6.5x284 were real close, the fact that I could easily fit 143-147gr bullets in the mag box with a full dose of powder is what tipped the scale in the end.

Different criteria would possibly result in a different choice, this is just one case and my reason for choosing a Creedmoor. Plus with all the hype and popularity I think in the future when I hand my gun down to my boys, if they don't reload there'll still be a pile of ammo on the shelves to choose from.
Old 12-09-2017, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Curious. I know zilch about the 6.5. Why would you say it's replacing the .308 when 6.5 only equals .256 caliber equivalent? Why not the .270? Thanks.
Other than perhaps a 1000 yd target application there is no way on God's green earth that the 6.5 Creedmoor will ever replace the .308 Win. Give the CM the credit it deserves in the LR accuracy category,forget the hype and leave it at that. It is what it is .. no more.

As a hunting cartridge the CM is out of it's weight class by a fair margin in .264 cal.
Old 12-09-2017, 08:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
Other than perhaps a 1000 yd target application there is no way on God's green earth that the 6.5 Creedmoor will ever replace the .308 Win. Give the CM the credit it deserves in the LR accuracy category,forget the hype and leave it at that. It is what it is .. no more.

As a hunting cartridge the CM is out of it's weight class by a fair margin in .264 cal.
How does the swede compare with the 308 as a hunting cartridge?
Old 12-09-2017, 08:30 AM

Quote:
How does the swede compare with the 308 as a hunting cartridge?
That depends. Using a bullet weight up to 160 gr, I would prefer the Swede. Over that weight, I'm out of options so a .308 bullet would be a good consideration.
Old 12-09-2017, 08:39 AM
Banned

Quote:
That depends. Using a bullet weight up to 160 gr, I would prefer the Swede. Over that weight, I'm out of options so a .308 bullet would be a good consideration.
When I used a 308 for hunting it was 150gr and 165gr bullets. When you compare ballistics with those bullets vs a 129-147gr bullet in the Creedmoor you might be enlightened.
Old 12-09-2017, 08:43 AM

lol ... I'm already enlightened - I have a couple of Swedes.
Old 12-09-2017, 08:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
lol ... I'm already enlightened - I have a couple of Swedes.
So you realize that at 500yds the 147gr Creedmoor has more energy than the 165gr 308?

Even at 400yds the Creedmoor will have more energy.
Old 12-09-2017, 08:49 AM

Quote:
So you realize that at 500yds the 147gr Creedmoor has more energy than the 165gr 308?
..and even more out of a Swede
Old 12-09-2017, 08:58 AM

One of the fellows at Wolverine Guns and Tackle did a 30 cal with muzzle brake on a Tika 30 cal.

He shoots Nosler Accubond 168' with good SD / BC. The G1 & G7 are pretty high with exceptional energy transfer from 3200 to a low of 1300 ft-per seconds.

Deffinatly enough to tackle the Moose and Elk at distance.
My hunting partner bought a new Remington 308 in 1968 if I recall, it has taken alot of game over the years from Ontario /Quebec to most of Western Canada.
Just a simple 308 with battle scares.
He use the 150gr'ers since they seem to work.

Good luck in your quest since your options are endless.

Don
Old 12-09-2017, 09:05 AM

Quote:

Even at 400yds the Creedmoor will have more energy.
Do you guys really think that the critters you shoot would notice any difference between these 2 cartridges and bullets, when they get shot?

It's purely an achemidemic exercise in the preferred way to sort fly feces outta black pepper.

Run whatchya brung, and get good at it. If that means buying one over the other because the price per box of shells favours your budget better, then buy that one.

Otherwise it's just chasing the next shiniest lure in the store.

And believe me I've been there(more than a couple times)

There are no absolutes
Old 12-09-2017, 09:09 AM
Banned

Quote:
..and even more out of a Swede
That's why your post #67 made me laugh. I guess the name of the cartridge has something to do with its performance, or I should say perceived performance.

As time goes by I think you will realize how capable the 6.5 Creedmoor is as a hunting cartridge.
Old 12-09-2017, 09:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Do you guys really think that the critters you shoot would notice any difference between these 2 cartridges and bullets, when they get shot?

It's purely an achemidemic exercise in the preferred way to sort fly feces outta black pepper.

Run whatchya brung, and get good at it. If that means buying one over the other because the price per box of shells favours your budget better, then buy that one.

Otherwise it's just chasing the next shiniest lure in the store.

And believe me I've been there(more than a couple times)
I'm actually exactly opposite, I don't think the critter will notice a difference between a 147gr Creedmoor and a 165gr 308, that's kinda the point I was trying to make in response to post #67
Old 12-09-2017, 09:24 AM

Quote:
I'm actually exactly opposite, I don't think the critter will notice a difference between a 147gr Creedmoor and a 165gr 308, that's kinda the point I was trying to make in response to post #67

I think I'll stick to my remarks on post #67 regardless of what the critters might think.
Old 12-09-2017, 09:31 AM
Banned

Quote:
I think I'll stick to my remarks on post #67 regardless of what the critters might think.
I have no doubts you will..... the rest of the planet may not though.
Old 12-09-2017, 09:44 AM

Quote:
I have no doubts you will..... the rest of the planet may not though.
I kinda doubt your position represents the rest of the planet's take on the subject, but it may be. Just not mine.
If you really believe the CM is the greatest gift to the 6.5 hunting cartridge world , that's good. Enjoy it to the fullest.
Old 12-09-2017, 09:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
I kinda doubt your position represents the rest of the planet's take on the subject, but it may be. Just not mine.
If you really believe the CM is the greatest gift to the 6.5 hunting cartridge world , that's good. Enjoy it to the fullest.
Greatest gift to the 6.5 hunting world might be a bit of a stretch with the 26 nosler and the likes, but it definitely has earned a spot as a capable cartridge. There's more to its popularity than advertising.
Old 12-09-2017, 10:03 AM

Grab a Tikka T3 in 7mm Rem Mag, 30-06 or .308 Win and put a limbsaver pad on the back.

Easy to find ammo nearly anywhere and you’ll be able to kill anything in AB.
Old 12-09-2017, 10:12 AM

Well thank you to all the really great responses. I’m thinking on leaning towards the 7mm.08. Can neck down my brass and benefit from slightly straighter trajectory. Plus stay with short action. Ima short guy. Lol. Bullet weights are my next question. Any thoughts?
Old 12-09-2017, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisebuck View Post
Well thank you to all the really great responses. I’m thinking on leaning towards the 7mm.08. Can neck down my brass and benefit from slightly straighter trajectory. Plus stay with short action. Ima short guy. Lol. Bullet weights are my next question. Any thoughts?
Great choice ! They seem to like 140's.
Old 12-09-2017, 10:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
A couple of bullets I use in my 280 are the 162 ELD-X and the 150gr Nosler long range accubonds, but a 150gr partition or a 140gr accubond would also be good choices. I'm not a fan of Barnes bullets, especially in non magnum cartridges, but they do seem to be accurate in pretty much any rifle I've tried them in.
Old 12-09-2017, 11:37 AM

Quote:
There will be no difference in trajectory in 7mm-08 and 308. 140 gr 7mm-08 have the same sectional density and ballistic coefficient and muzzle velocities as 165 gr in 308. The only thing you are going to change is your recoil, which depending on your recoil pad choices may not even be a noticable difference.

If you went with a 130 gr 7mm-08 it would be exact same performance as 150 gr 308 win.

Do what you want, but dont believe that 7mm-08 has any better trajectory than 308. They are the same cartridge capacities, both pushing very close sized bullets.

270 win is going to be a faster flatter shooting cartridge than 308.

Last edited by Nyksta; 12-09-2017 at 11:45 AM.
Old 12-09-2017, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyksta View Post
There will be no difference in trajectory in 7mm-08 and 308. 140 gr 7mm-08 have the same sectional density and ballistic coefficient and muzzle velocities as 165 gr in 308. The only thing you are going to change is your recoil, which depending on your recoil pad choices may not even be a noticable difference.

If you went with a 130 gr 7mm-08 it would be exact same performance as 150 gr 308 win.

Do what you want, but dont believe that 7mm-08 has any better trajectory than 308. They are the same cartridge capacities, both pushing very close sized bullets.

270 win is going to be a faster flatter shooting cartridge than 308.
My blr won’t handle max reloads so and I may be wrong, but won’t reloading for a bolt action 7mm .08 be a better performer than my current loads for the .308? I don’t have a chronometer so I can’t tell you my current loads performance but if I recall correctly it’s 180 grain Nosler ballistic silver tips with 43 grains of imr powder. Not home right now so don’t remember the specific powder. Average loads I know cause max stripped a gear in it years ago ( another story)
Old 12-09-2017, 12:43 PM

Im pretty sure your blr bolt lockup lugs should be taking the pressure of the load, not your lever gears. I dont have a blr though, someone else may know different.

All man-made things will have their faults. Hopefully you can find a gun and cartridge combo you trust and enjoy.
Old 12-09-2017, 12:48 PM

Heres some helpful tools.

Find the powder used to get the feet per-seconds going.
Click on "Resources" then "Data Reloading center.
https://imrpowder.com/#

That way you can find the given velocity of many bullet weights with each powder give or take the +/-

They use this BC chart to see the flight path of a given bullet over what distance at a given ft-per seconds.
http://www.jbmballistics.com/cgi-bin/jbmtraj-5.1.cgi

You will have to change the priamitors for your self.
The one that will pop up is a test load for my rifle coming up for next harvest season.

Once you catch on to adjusting them, your off to the races.

I'm """guessing""" there is 10.000 bullets of every make and model, then change the ft-per seconds along with other categories to calculate the trajectory.

It's just that simple

Don
Old 12-09-2017, 01:23 PM