Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-28-2018, 06:29 PM

I'm sure you will be fine tomorrow. The snow in the fields certainly has shrunk a lot.
Old 03-01-2018, 11:10 PM

Better have good tires. After the snow we are forecasted to get you won’t be able to tak an unchanged truck on the lake. Barely made it around today. North end
Old 03-07-2018, 08:07 AM

Was wondering if anyone has been out lately from the Mulhurst side. I'm hoping that I don't need a skidoo come the weekend. Way to far to pull sled out.
Old 03-07-2018, 08:35 AM

Didn't make it out last weekend but we're gonna try this weekend. Hopefully the truck will make it - our shack is 2.8km from the boat launch which is too far to walk with all our gear
Old 03-08-2018, 05:53 AM

Headed out this am. Hoping the snow isn't to deep for the old dodge. Will report back tonight.
Old 03-08-2018, 03:57 PM

So I was able to move around without being on an old track this morning. But just. I drive a Dodge 1/2 ton with a small lift and 285 Dura-Tracs under it, so unless you have good tires & decent clearance, make sure you have a 2nd truck nearby with you in case you get stuck or maybe some tire chains.
Old 03-08-2018, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soiler View Post
So I was able to move around without being on an old track this morning. But just. I drive a Dodge 1/2 ton with a small lift and 285 Dura-Tracs under it, so unless you have good tires & decent clearance, make sure you have a 2nd truck nearby with you in case you get stuck or maybe some tire chains.
Thanks for the update.Which side did ya enter on and how far in did you travel?I finally caught a break and lucked out on a buddy with a new quad with tracks on it thats willing to get me to my favorite spot near the middle of the lake this Sat.Good luck to everyone that ventures out this weekend.Lets hope with the warmer weather coming it will soften up the crust so we can access the lake easier with trucks before the season ends.
Old 03-08-2018, 05:34 PM

I went on, on the east side of the lake. And I drove out out about 3km out or so. In spots it's about 24" deep. And the ice is thicker than it's been in years.. coming close to needing an extension for my old Jiffy.
It's going to be drifted up after this wind this afternoon & tonight so most trails will be blown over. So def. keep you're head up out there.
Old 03-08-2018, 05:51 PM

Im heading up tmrw so hoping the F350 will get around ok. Has lots of clearance but the *****ty Michelin tires that come with the new truck. Fingers crossed.
Will be in the log cabin ice shack at Grandview, not sure if the fish will be biting but we will be comfy and Spolumbos sausage will be cooking on the bbq...
Good luck to all and be safe.
SS
Old 03-08-2018, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpstick View Post
Im heading up tmrw so hoping the F350 will get around ok. Has lots of clearance but the *****ty Michelin tires that come with the new truck. Fingers crossed.
Will be in the log cabin ice shack at Grandview, not sure if the fish will be biting but we will be comfy and Spolumbos sausage will be cooking on the bbq...
Good luck to all and be safe.
SS
the ling still biting
Old 03-10-2018, 11:35 AM

Made it out this morning and only got stuck once about 75 yards from the shack. A bit of shovelling and some back and forth and we made it. Access wasn’t too bad. Lots of people fishing by the Mulhurst boat launch and we were the first to drive down to the silver beach area since the storm last weekend. One other truck out here now.
Old 03-10-2018, 07:57 PM

I was out at zeiner/mission area today. Lots more snow then a few weeks ago. I was surprised i made it as far as i did. Ice was measured at 30''. Walleye fishing was very slow all day but did manage to fill 5 classb tags.
Old 03-15-2018, 11:41 AM

I was out on Friday and Sat. We had a trail to the shack but if you got off the trail, you were done. Fishing was slow, caught 3 on Friday and only a handful all day Sat. (mix of Walleye and pike) No Ling caught in our group.
Fishing was also slow on Sun as some friends had a mini tourney and only a few were caught between 30+ people.
Good news that I heard was that they have finally started to hook up some places to the sewer line but of course there are still many that are fighting it...

Cheers,
SS
Old 03-15-2018, 05:09 PM

Quote:
I was out on Friday and Sat. We had a trail to the shack but if you got off the trail, you were done. Fishing was slow, caught 3 on Friday and only a handful all day Sat. (mix of Walleye and pike) No Ling caught in our group.
Fishing was also slow on Sun as some friends had a mini tourney and only a few were caught between 30+ people.
Good news that I heard was that they have finally started to hook up some places to the sewer line but of course there are still many that are fighting it...

Cheers,
SS
it will not be long and everyone will be on a pump out or hooked up to sewer line. good for the lake and water quality .
Old 03-15-2018, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish99 View Post
it will not be long and everyone will be on a pump out or hooked up to sewer line. good for the lake and water quality .
No kidding, that is great to hear.
Old 03-16-2018, 10:23 AM

I agree that it is about time and good for all but I don't know if they can force everyone to hook up to it and pay the $20-$30k to hook up...
Old 03-16-2018, 10:59 AM

Quote:
I agree that it is about time and good for all but I don't know if they can force everyone to hook up to it and pay the $20-$30k to hook up...
at Grandview a tank and pump and hook up will be under $10,000. coming this summer . the north side of the lake is on sewer already.
Old 03-16-2018, 12:15 PM

And how about snow conditions? Any easier driving yet or still needs more melting
Old 03-18-2018, 11:08 AM

Heading out Monday. How was provincial park access over the weekend??
Old 03-18-2018, 11:38 AM

We’re out again this weekend, on at Mulhurst and down to Silver Beach. It rained/sleeted yesterday evening and snowed all night. About 3” on the ground and still coming down. Access wasn’t too bad but we will see how getting off the lake is in a few hours. Fishing was slow yesterday but picked up about 4:30 and in to the evening. Caught a few more this morning.
Old 03-18-2018, 03:32 PM

The main track was passable, but getting the 200 yards from our shack to the main track was a nightmare this afternoon. Where did all this snow come from? I checked the forecast on Friday before we left and it called for maybe 1-3 cm. We got sleet for a few hours Saturday evening and then sideways blowing snow all night long. There was 3" of wet heavy snow when we woke up.

We got stuck about 5 feet from where we parked the truck overnight, and then stuck another 10-12 times in the next hour. Shovels, a pair of trac grabbers on the rear, and some wire mesh sand (snow?) ladders were used

It's gonna be a gong show getting the shack off the ice this year. Might have to rent a tracked Argo.
Old 03-18-2018, 09:25 PM

it's a no-go with a truck unless you have serious chains!
Old 03-19-2018, 10:02 AM

Was out this past Friday and was able to get around anywhere we wanted to go in the 1/2 ton. Never broke out the shovel but I do run dedicated winter tires. Found breaking new trail was much easier than following older tracks. Geared down, turn off traction control, keep revs steady, run at 15km-20km all good.

Fishing was quite good in the morning died off mid-afternoon. We filled our tags easily (Class A and C). Caught 4 to 5 different age classes. We landed 2 nice ~8lb Pike and a few hammer handles as well. Beauty day to be out.
Old 03-24-2018, 11:46 PM

Fished this evening by mission and was very slow. My cousin hooked onto a walleye and lost it. The snow is also deep and very hard to get around tonight.
Old 03-25-2018, 10:33 AM

What colour of jig heads have the walleye been hitting on .
Old 03-25-2018, 12:04 PM

I’m on Pigeon now trying to get the shacks off the ice. Gonna be a gong show with all this snow.
Old 03-25-2018, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
What colour of jig heads have the walleye been hitting on .
I have had great luck with 3/8 ounce white jig heads with red eye made by Matzuo. Also they are made with a sickle hook which has definitely led to better hook sets on the jawjacker. Good luck to you on future outings. We were out on Sat and fished the PP with horrible results. The only reason we went there was due to the brutal snow conditions limiting us to accessing certain places on the lake.
Old 03-25-2018, 12:32 PM

Got our two campers off mulhurst. Took a bobcat to dig the one out...
Old 03-25-2018, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Got our two campers off mulhurst. Took a bobcat to dig the one out...
Wow!

We got our shacks off today also, south of Mulhurst off Silver Beach. It went pretty smooth except for all the snow. The drifts around the shacks were 18-24" of hard packed wind blown snow, wet and heavy from a few freeze/thaw cycles. I got out there before my buddy and it was a good thing as I called him and told him to bring his 800 quad. Without it to pull our shacks up the snow banks surrounding them it would have meant a lot of digging.

The beer we had after the shacks were loaded was one of the best I've ever had!

Driving back to the boat launch there was only one permanent shack left on the lake at Mulhurst.

Kinda sad that our ice shack season is over, my wife and I spent 6 weekends at the lake since the middle of January and I was out 3 other times with the guys.
Old 03-29-2018, 07:22 AM

Any body still fishing for walleye, if so can you tell me the best start point, thanks