Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-22-2021, 05:15 PM

Default Covid ice fishing

With the outdoor gatherings restrictions loosened up a bit would sitting in a bigger ice hut with a buddy be a ticketable offense or is that considered outdoors? Also seems there is a bit of a gray area on carpooling out to a lake with a friend if anyone has any insight or experience with this would be great to know

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
Old 01-22-2021, 05:40 PM

We got checked on the ice just after New Years by the RCMP on sleds and nothing was said about 2 guys in a double cube tent from different households...
Old 01-22-2021, 06:22 PM

What’s covid. Don’t even worry about it. IMHO
Old 01-22-2021, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old dog View Post
What’s covid. Don’t even worry about it. IMHO
+1
Old 01-22-2021, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soiler View Post
We got checked on the ice just after New Years by the RCMP on sleds and nothing was said about 2 guys in a double cube tent from different households...
Perfect we will both be warm tomorrow then!

Old 01-23-2021, 09:55 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Warning were given out....wouldn't push the issue....but it's your pocket book.

Heard a few tickets given out too for not wearing helmets while driving atv,snowmobiles too....not allowed to drive in parks but people are pushing that too plus the speed limits which is 30km with trucks etc....

My thought is its easier just to keep it simple and follow the rules,regs,laws and not get into a pickle....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-23-2021, 01:18 PM

Default sask regs

couldn't find anything about Alb. Sask government: "
Sask says:While fishing is an allowable activity, it is recommended that ice shacks (i.e., enclosed shelters for use in ice fishing) only be used by occupants who are members of the same immediate household (i.e., people you currently live with). However, if people from different immediate households are in the same shack, they must have room to be at least two metres apart and must wear masks. "
Old 01-23-2021, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsleykhan View Post
Perfect we will both be warm tomorrow then!

This also might be up to the officers discretion. Every officer may be different.

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 01-23-2021, 01:25 PM

Default Just Do It!!

We were checked with 3 people from different households. They checked our fishing licenses and were on their way. I think it will take a lot for them to start enforcing this on the ice.
Old 01-23-2021, 01:42 PM

Personally I would think you are gambling because the officer may declare it being indoors and I don’t think there is anything specifying tents or ice shacks though.

I know for a fact not all offers cop/RCMP/F&W agree with the Covid rules and some turn a blind eye unless there is complaints. Others would gladly write a ticket give the chance

Tents/shacks have 4 walls and a roof so it would not be hard for them to write a ticket claiming your inside. But you are allowed to be in the same vehicle if you are wearing masks so things are not all that clear either
Old 01-23-2021, 08:32 PM

So I do believe each of us should do what they feel is right for themselves. However when I read through the comments, we all talk about the fear of getting a fine or not. But no fear of getting covid. So it would appear it’s all about the fine, crazy world we live in. I love fishing and love fishing with my family and will continue to do so.
Old 01-23-2021, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsleykhan View Post
With the outdoor gatherings restrictions loosened up a bit would sitting in a bigger ice hut with a buddy be a ticketable offense or is that considered outdoors? Also seems there is a bit of a gray area on carpooling out to a lake with a friend if anyone has any insight or experience with this would be great to know

I've always found fish and wildlife officers to be the nicest, most common sense, enforcers out there. I have yet to run into one who wants to cause trouble or on a power trip. I don't believe they would give you a hard time.
Old 01-24-2021, 05:38 AM

Here's my experience from yesterday at Beaver Mines Lake - my fishing buddy and I were fishing in my Eskimo 949i tent when F&W came by for a license check. The officer mentioned that were weren't in compliance with current covid restrictions when fishing in the same tent unless we were members of the same household, and that "they" were giving out tickets. Basically he was just warning us as I don't believe he had any intention of ticketing anyone. I mentioned that I live alone and that buddy was one of the two cohorts I was allowed to have, and the office said under the current rules that was ok, and he left us to go check the next group.

Originally he wanted one of us to be fishing outside of the tent, but once I mentioned the cohort thing, he left and we kept fishing as we had been before he came along to check licenses.
Old 01-24-2021, 08:01 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
Here's my experience from yesterday at Beaver Mines Lake - my fishing buddy and I were fishing in my Eskimo 949i tent when F&W came by for a license check. The officer mentioned that were weren't in compliance with current covid restrictions when fishing in the same tent unless we were members of the same household, and that "they" were giving out tickets. Basically he was just warning us as I don't believe he had any intention of ticketing anyone. I mentioned that I live alone and that buddy was one of the two cohorts I was allowed to have, and the office said under the current rules that was ok, and he left us to go check the next group.

Originally he wanted one of us to be fishing outside of the tent, but once I mentioned the cohort thing, he left and we kept fishing as we had been before he came along to check licenses.

Spot on as long as you were following the protocols....imagine if he opened the tent up,and there was 6 of you all huddle in around the heater all from different households....warning would be a good thing and most likely to happen but one gets a bit mouthy and then out comes the ticket book....myself as much as I want to hang out I just don't want to chance my health, thier health, make the conservation officers job harder so I go out with family (wife) and buddies fish around but in thier own tents etc....ohhh we can yell at each other

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-24-2021, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old dog View Post
So I do believe each of us should do what they feel is right for themselves. However when I read through the comments, we all talk about the fear of getting a fine or not. But no fear of getting covid. So it would appear it’s all about the fine, crazy world we live in. I love fishing and love fishing with my family and will continue to do so.
This is probably because the likelihood of getting covid from a friend that is living the same isolated lifestyle that I'm living is pretty much nil.
Way more likely to catch it at the grocery store
At least how I see it...

Last edited by Mountain Guy; 01-24-2021 at 08:31 PM. Reason: ..
Old 01-24-2021, 11:30 PM

Challenging times for sure...It’s troubling when 2 guys in a tent earns a ticket and if you pass a mall the parking lot is full or cars...I guess the difference is the masks but still seems ironic
Old 01-25-2021, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Guy View Post
This is probably because the likelihood of getting covid from a friend that is living the same isolated lifestyle that I'm living is pretty much nil.
Way more likely to catch it at the grocery store
At least how I see it...
Totally agree