Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-23-2021, 02:53 PM

Default Stone Glacier or Kifaru?!?

Hi All,

I am looking at picking up a new backcountry hunting pack and I have it narrowed down to two brands, SG or Kifaru. From what I can tell they are both great companies and I should be pretty happy with either. I am looking for something that will help me pick a one over the other. I will be using it for bear, elk and muley hunts for the most part.

Thanks for any feedback!
Old 01-23-2021, 04:16 PM

Of the two, I'd go with the SG hands down.

It's tough here but try on as many different packs as you can, taking the time to adjust and fit them. Do any of your buddies have these packs already? High end hunting packs are stupid expensive but worth every penny on a heavy pack.

There is no pack that fits everyone perfect and I have heard complaints on every pack system. Also, when trying them on, if you can load them up and go for a hike. That's when the problems will show up.

I'm currently looking for a new pack and thinking of going with Seek Outside and getting a custom bag built.

Good luck.
Old 01-23-2021, 05:51 PM

Cant go wrong with either, just like boots its about what fits you. I own both brands and I 100% would say go with Kifaru. The molly webbing along with being built heavier are two pluses to kifaru. I found that the kifaru I used for a 10 day goat hunt (70 pounds of gear and food) was way more comfy for me than the stone glacier pack I have. Like I said, I own both and like both but the Kifaru is the one I always reach for. My wife uses my stone glacier one now.
Old 01-23-2021, 09:31 PM

I have a Stone Glacier with the xcurve frame and sky talus 6900 bag and really like it. Packing out heavy compared to the old Eberlestock Dragonfly is like night and day.

With that said I've never tried a Kifaru but all I've ever heard from friends that have used them is that they are really really good and really shine when they get loaded up. Just my two cents.
Old 01-23-2021, 09:54 PM

The two brands you mentioned are the complete far end of the spectrum. Stone Glacier - minimalist extreme light weight. Kifaru - pocket for everything, heavy. I chose Exo since it rides the middle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-23-2021, 11:23 PM

Exo. Light. Strong and most importantly, stable under heavy loads. Very simple to use. I had this debate too and decided against the SG as I felt it was harder to get to the loading area. But the SG is top notch as well. Can’t go wrong with either.
Old 01-24-2021, 08:44 AM

I do not have experience with SG, but I used my buddies Kifaru pack last season. It was great. Felt better than my Kuiu pack by a large margin. Carried weight and was comfortable heavy and light.
Old 01-24-2021, 10:04 AM

Thanks everyone I really appreciate all the feedback!

I think I will just order SG (slightly cheaper) try it out, if it feels great then I win if not I'll send it back and order the Kifaru.
Old 01-24-2021, 09:27 PM

SG xCurve is a very nice frame . I love mine
They also have 5 star service .
Old 01-25-2021, 07:14 AM

The problem im finding is where in alberta do you try these bags on
Old 01-25-2021, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bezzola View Post
They have booths at outdoors shows usually. But since covid there really is no way right now.

If you need to check out the Exo, PM me. I’m not far from you.
Old 01-25-2021, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bezzola View Post
For both stone glacier and kifaru, there is nowhere in alberta that sells them to look at. There is a place in BC called Precision Optics that sells stone glacier and are awesome to deal with. The stone glacier guys are awesome to, I have been to their place in Bozeman and they are good dudes. Kifaru is only sold through their site and they dont have any retailers. Again, they are super good dudes and the owner and operations manager both answer the phone and will be more than willing to help/answer questions. One thing with Kifaru is that when you hit order, they then make the bag so its usually 3 weeks before it gets shipped. They are working on changing that a bit now with the new owners but I would suspect it will still be 2-3 weeks before it gets shipped. Cant go wrong with either place, dont be scared to phone them. Both good companies and I own both but hands down prefer my Kifaru pack.
Old 01-25-2021, 09:40 AM

Another vote for SG. I run the Sky Archer 6200
Old 01-25-2021, 12:49 PM

Kifaru will outlast SG.