Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-30-2017, 04:23 PM

Question Boat anchor

I'm looking for a secondary anchor for my welded aluminum boat.
The boat is 22' long and currently fitted with a 35# stainless river anchor.

It's a beast of an anchor! It works well in most situations although I never navigate rivers.

Looking for a lighter weight anchor that's easier to handle that will work well in most Alberta lakes. I may even want to use both anchors if I ever want to lock down over a spot.

I have a little experience with Danforth anchors and I recall the one I used worked well. I found Navy style anchors to be useless.

What do you recommend?
Old 06-30-2017, 06:45 PM

Best boat anchor is a dodge truck. No seriously i anchor my 22.5 foot boat with a 15 pound anchor with 6 feet of heavy chain attached. Google anchor system good info
Old 06-30-2017, 08:15 PM

I really like my Digger Anchor! I use it on a 17'6" Glass boat. Boat is heavy. Easy to retrieve it. Can let go in high winds. Just have to let more rope out. But I'm not big on fishing high winds anyways. Holds well for the fishing I do.
Old 07-01-2017, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duramaximos View Post

I have a little experience with Danforth anchors and I recall the one I used worked well. I found Navy style anchors to be useless.

What do you recommend?
Danforth is good, I'm getting a lot of use out of my Bruce anchor, sets very nicely and I have it rigged with a breakaway in case it gets stuck and I need to pull it out backwards.
Old 07-01-2017, 08:37 AM

danforth is good, just put some chain ballast attached to it so it gets a good hold of the bottom when you set.
Old 07-01-2017, 10:45 AM

I second the digger anchor, its a sweet anchor for whatever you are doing. It works well in sand, weeds, muck, and rock because it gas a feature that allows it to unhinge it straight if you need it to dump weeds or to get unstuck. Your size of boat i would use the 15 pound which is the biggest and about 150 dollars. I have recently downsized to a 12 pound to save a tiny bit of room and have tried it a little bit but honestly now that i have my ipilot on my trolling motor, rarely do i even need the anchor to often.

A side note is with this type of anchor you need to be willing to let out a minimum double the length of rope as you are in depth to allow it to dig as opposed to just shear weight holding you in position - which im sure you already know!

Good luck man! (Theres a short youtube video showing the unhinging feature)
Old 07-01-2017, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duramaximos View Post
I'm looking for a secondary anchor for my welded aluminum boat.
The boat is 22' long and currently fitted with a 35# stainless river anchor.

It's a beast of an anchor! It works well in most situations although I never navigate rivers.

Looking for a lighter weight anchor that's easier to handle that will work well in most Alberta lakes. I may even want to use both anchors if I ever want to lock down over a spot.

What do you recommend?
Get a Mantus you will not be disappointed. I retired my old 20 lb anchor as the mantus sets much faster and HOLDS WAY MORE at a fraction of the weight. As I do not overnight on anchor I removed the roll bar so saved even more weight and space. Quite honestly my 18.5" boat could easily get away with the 2 lb anchor but I did go with an 8 pounder. It has never failed to set or budged when set.

https://www.mantusmarine.com/mantus-anchors/

Last edited by cube; 07-01-2017 at 12:49 PM.
Old 07-02-2017, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchpirate View Post
Danforth is good, I'm getting a lot of use out of my Bruce anchor, sets very nicely and I have it rigged with a breakaway in case it gets stuck and I need to pull it out backwards.
X2 on the bruce and a good length of chain

Mack