Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 10-25-2009, 12:34 PM

Default Mobile ice shack...crazy idea?

Hi guys,

I'm curious if anyone has converted an older 14-16' travel trailer into an ice shack?

It dawned on me that for less than $2K you could by a nicely equipped older trailer with all the comforts that go along with it, including propane heat, kitchen, seating, etc.
It wouldn't bother me so much to cut a hole or two in the floor for access to the ice.

Would this work?
Old 10-25-2009, 12:37 PM

I've seen them before. Someone left one out on Slave too long and I don't know if they ever got it off.
Old 10-25-2009, 01:52 PM

there's really only 3 tricks to it; making an auger extention long enough to get the job done from the inside (unless your "eye" is good enough to cut the holes in the right spots), put some kind of "skirt" on it to keep the light out, and finally to come up with a way of keeping the holes from freezing over. I know of a guy who has a sweet setup; converted a sled trailer into the shang ra la of on-ice acomidations
cheers
Old 10-25-2009, 02:21 PM

Yes I have also seen those trailers made just for that ,they lower them selfs down to the ice also.
But I would not invest in one because of the snow.
Last year we could not even drive across many lakes in a chained up 4x4
Had to stay on the main trails or use a skidoo.
Hate to even try with a 20 foot trailer.

An old truck camper would be much better ,less drag to pull and would add traction if snow got deep and would lower down just inches from the ice.
Old 10-25-2009, 02:27 PM

My buddy back on a farm in SK did this using an old camper. They removed the axle and replaced it with implement stub shafts they had on the farm. This allowed the camper to sit with its frame right down on the ice after they pulled out the stub shafts. That put the interior floor only about 6" above the ice and no wind going beneath.

With the small stove going it gets rather nice inside. Cover all the windows and the only light source is what comes up from below making for a neat experience.
Old 10-25-2009, 03:52 PM

I've seen nicer ones, but this is pretty cool

http://roadkingoutdoors.com/
Old 10-25-2009, 04:35 PM

I have a 14 ft holiday trailer converted to an ice shack,I have had it for two years.and it is great, I have 4 holes in my floor,2 beds and a wood burning stove for heat. my trailer is about 12 inches off the ice and i have no problems cutting my holes from inside with no extension on my stihl auger.I did build a skirt around the outside and made sleeves for my holes inside. last year we slept in it at -40 in t shirts. the good thing about them is they are light,mine is a About 1200 pounds and i pull it with my ford ranger. Last year was close for needing an extension on my auger but still had a couple inches to spare. Good Luck... I am currently making on out of my buddies 16 ft trailer as well same ideas.

Duster
Old 10-25-2009, 04:39 PM

Default Portable shack

We made a small 5 ft x 8 ft portable shack. We have a small electric winch on the front of a flat bed utility trailer. Tilt it back, slide it off , drill the holes and done. When ready to go home leave everything inside winch it up tie it down and makes for a toasty warm enjoyable day. Talk to bushman53 regards to a trailer. He has a small one with a small wood stove he uses on the ice just as you descibed.
Old 10-25-2009, 04:40 PM

Sounds like fun! Why not?!
Old 10-25-2009, 08:16 PM

Thanks guys.

I feel more comfortable with this now. I think I'll give it a try...
Stay tuned for pictures in the weeks to come.
Old 10-25-2009, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duramaximos View Post
Thanks guys.

I feel more comfortable with this now. I think I'll give it a try...
Stay tuned for pictures in the weeks to come.
Please keep us posted! I did something similar when I built my shack (not a trailer though...). Always appreciate new ideas and little tricks.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=24357

Thx
Old 10-25-2009, 09:00 PM

I once desided to cut the rear floor panels out of my old buick, it actually worked quite well once we got the holes drilled lol

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 10-25-2009, 10:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostguy6 View Post
I once desided to cut the rear floor panels out of my old buick, it actually worked quite well once we got the holes drilled lol

You are a god among men sir. I agree that a camper is going to be alot more simple than a travel trailer though.
Old 10-26-2009, 05:28 AM

Yah I have fished in a friends. He drills holes from outside and drives over them later. Size your floor holes so five gallon buckets just fit in them and set them on the ice to stop wind and light.
Old 10-26-2009, 06:13 AM

If you can find a deal on an old camper I say go for it

I was thinking about doing something sorta similar, but building up from a small flatbed utility trailer. Your idea sounds like you'd end up with a much comfier final product though

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 10-26-2009, 10:21 AM

Last year I stopped in to say hi to someone using one on sylvan. I noticed they had drilled 10-12" holes in the floor and then put that size of that green sewer pipe (the hard plastic stuff). They made them so they slide up and down, so they could be lowered right to the ice to keep out light and prevent freezing. Was a really good idea.
Old 10-26-2009, 12:32 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicemustang View Post
I noticed they had drilled 10-12" holes in the floor and then put that size of that green sewer pipe (the hard plastic stuff). They made them so they slide up and down, so they could be lowered right to the ice to keep out light and prevent freezing. Was a really good idea.

I have been lucky enough to fish in Duster's shack, that is the ultimate way to go if you ask me. Cost effective, re-using old materials, comfortable, ability to fit more than 4 people, cooking surface and beds make for legal consumption of alcohol on location, and not to mention warm. Cooking up a fresh burbot for a shack lunch is about as awesome as a buzz kill can get.

Dusty, this is what I had in mind for what you should use for your sleeves - the material Mustang suggested.
Old 10-26-2009, 05:48 PM

Yeah FG you know where to get some of that pipe from, should let me know!
Old 10-26-2009, 08:40 PM

this is what i did.....cut a square hole just slightly larger then a 5 gallon bucket....tacked a 10-20 shingle nails to the side,then place a 5 gallon bucket in the hole and spray liquid foam in the hole..{you can buy it @ any home depot}it takes the shape of the bucket and stops the wind coming into your trailer.....also you have a handle to pull the bucket out and you don't have to be right on the ice....also if you find your still a little short from the bucket reaching the ice ,pile some snow around the bottom of the bucket....
Old 10-26-2009, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junglejay7320 View Post
this is what i did.....cut a square hole just slightly larger then a 5 gallon bucket....tacked a 10-20 shingle nails to the side,then place a 5 gallon bucket in the hole and spray liquid foam in the hole..{you can buy it @ any home depot}it takes the shape of the bucket and stops the wind coming into your trailer.....also you have a handle to pull the bucket out and you don't have to be right on the ice....also if you find your still a little short from the bucket reaching the ice ,pile some snow around the bottom of the bucket....
Why don't you cut a round hole the same size as the buckets? Also if one is not long enough simply stack another on inside it you gain 6 inches this way. You floor will be almost the same height from the ice every time so cut you pails the right length at home.
Old 10-26-2009, 11:35 PM

Default Pics

Here are a couple of pics of our portable setup. We have been usng this for several years now.
On the ice at Crawling Valley and Cow Lake

Shack on Trailer at Burntstick
Old 10-27-2009, 09:55 AM

Its all good until a year like last year when there was too much snow. How do you pull that trailer in the snow we had last year?
Old 10-27-2009, 10:39 AM

Default Snow

Only snow issue we have run into was last year at CV. I use a different truck than the Jeep in the pics now. Silverado 2500 4wd that goes through almost anything. Last year we couldn't plough through the main rd at Cv even with the big truck. Other than that the jeep has taken us through many deep snows with no problem. Last year we added an electric winch instead of manual boat winch and did that ever make it slick. Works great and have propane heater, lights, fish tv, regular tv, radio as well. Not big enough to sleep in but for day trips and night time fishing is almost like home.
Old 10-27-2009, 11:14 AM

I have an old tent trailer, that with some minor modifications would make great Ice Shack!

If anyone is interested, please let me know!