Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-05-2010, 08:47 PM

Default Sonar/GPS deals at the show...?

Hi folks,

I'm planning on attending the Boat show tomorrow in Calgary. I'll be window shopping for the most part, but I do need my first Sonar/GPS. Are there any good deals to be had? Anything I should be wary of?

Thanks
Old 02-05-2010, 11:11 PM

I just walked in the door from the show and picked up the new lowrance hds 8 with the new map chip and it was a few hundred off on the gps/sonar unit. From what I heard they started out with around 50 map chips and were down to 4 when I got a hold of mine. Can't wait for open water to get my boat out and check the new set up out. Once I can gather another $600 I will be getting the lss-1 unit for side and down scan.

Nate
Old 02-05-2010, 11:51 PM

If you don't mind me asking , $$ ? I was looking at the HDS 7 but 8 is great !
Old 02-06-2010, 01:18 AM

I hope you got this years chip with the Alberta lakes on it. How much did you pay for the HD8? Looks like a better deal that the 10
Old 02-06-2010, 11:23 AM

Wow those HDS8's are nice!
Not quite what I'm after but cool

I'm looking for a smaller unit with good capabilities that I can mount in my kayak. The Humminbird 385ci looks like the best fit for my needs.

I'm off to the show now and I'll report in when I get back.

Old 02-06-2010, 12:46 PM

I ended up getting the hds 8 for $1795 which is down a couple hundred from before the show and picked up the navionics lake maps premium hot maps for $169.95 to go with it. This thing is gonna be sweet on the new to me alumacraft magnum 165 cs this open water season.

Nate
Old 02-06-2010, 08:27 PM

Whew! I'm wiped out. Spent 7 hours walking the floor drooling over all the shiny new boats, and fancy gear. The Thunder Jet line really caught my eye this year . 20' x 96" beam, semi enclosed cabin, 150hp Merc, for about $46K. Some day I'll own one of those .

In the mean time I'm really excited about rigging out my yak with a few more toys. I picked up the Eagle FishElite 642C iGPS.

https://www.thefishinhole.com/index....TSBYCLASSG=103

The show price was $465, or thereabouts. I looked at the Humminbird 343C for a very long time but I couldn't settle for anything smaller than 5" screen size. The readability and clarity of the 5" models were so much better, imo. For me, the Eagle was a no brainer because the show special was so good.

Bring on the open water!!
Old 02-06-2010, 08:31 PM

I am really pumped for open water now also. I hooked the hds 8 up to a small battery to check out the mapping and stuff on it. It is blowing my mind at how much stuff is on the unit. Still trying to figure out how to get the contours of the lake to show up on the maps. If anyone knows what I have to change in the settings it would be greatly appreciated.

Nate
Old 02-06-2010, 09:22 PM

Did you look at the humminbirds. They are a lot more proven and they arleady come with the side and down scan. You don't have to waste a few more hundred on transducers and less stuff to break. There is also a lot of problems with the lowarnce units and the customer service is not that best. Also, humminbird is sueing lowarnce. Just a few things to think about before you buy lowarnce.
Old 02-07-2010, 01:15 AM

In the end the lowrance with the lss-1 set up with it is about the same price as a bird with everything built in. Lowrance has also done alot of work to fix the problems that the first generation hds units had. Even with the sueing issues the chances of it being finished in the courts right away is slim to none. I think it will take years for it to go through and no one really knows if they will win for sure or not. I am very happy with my other lowrance sonar and can't wait to get my new one on the water and mapping.

Nate
Old 02-07-2010, 09:30 AM

Nate I hope they didn't sell you last years chip. Navionics have added a whole bunch of Alberta and BC lakes this year. The old ones do not have all the Alberta lakes. Try going to a lake in Ontario and seeing if the depth contours show up if they do in Ont and not in Alberta then you have the old chip. Better yet call Navionics and check the number on the chip to see what version you have. I would be PO'd if they sold you the old one for full price.
Old 02-07-2010, 09:57 AM

I would check out cabelas. There is a far bit of difference in the price. Also, check out sites like walleyecentral and there is a lot of reviews about issues with the lowarnce.
Old 02-07-2010, 01:53 PM

Nah mudslide it is the new chip. They were almost sold out of it cuz everyone wanted it pretty bad. I think there is a patch for the update on lowrance right now that lets the unit read micro sd cards. which is what the new chip is on. I think I may have to go get a 1gb sd card and download the patch onto it and load it on the unit.

Nate
Old 02-07-2010, 11:03 PM

Nate I'm glad you got the new chip. I'm going to get one this year sometime myself as well as a new GPSS/sonar. Can't decide between the Lowrance or the Bird. I've always run Lowrance but the birds look awfully tempting. It will probably boil down to which one I can get the best deal on.
Old 02-07-2010, 11:34 PM

I am glad I picked up the new chip also, Now if I could only get the damn contours working on it I would be pumped for open water this year. With the whole new to me fishing rig being set up in the next month or so the only thing left to do is get the gps/ sonar unit working in my favour and then its game on. I am hoping my fishing partner can help me out with it. Once it is set up then those walleye better be ready for sore lips.

Nate