Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-08-2015, 01:50 PM
Gone Hunting

Default Hunting with "friends"

A "friend" who messed us around for a time, called last night to see if he could accompany us on this morning's hunt. He was informed that he was most welcome, in fact he would not have bring anything with him. He always had a problem with bringing his lunch, choosing instead to help himself to our lunches and to our coffee. Never a nickel to pay for fuel(has almost much money as God). When we stopped at the house this morning to pick him up, he asked what we were hunting this morning, ducks, geese or chickens. He was informed that we were going to be hunting "arseholes", and we needed a special decoy!!! Chances are we won't be hearing from him again.

Last edited by Opa; 10-08-2015 at 01:59 PM.
Old 10-08-2015, 03:04 PM

Thanks for the negative story....

That makes no sense....
Old 10-08-2015, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opa View Post
A "friend" who messed us around for a time, called last night to see if he could accompany us on this morning's hunt. He was informed that he was most welcome, in fact he would not have bring anything with him. He always had a problem with bringing his lunch, choosing instead to help himself to our lunches and to our coffee. Never a nickel to pay for fuel(has almost much money as God). When we stopped at the house this morning to pick him up, he asked what we were hunting this morning, ducks, geese or chickens. He was informed that we were going to be hunting "arseholes", and we needed a special decoy!!! Chances are we won't be hearing from him again.
hahahahahaha.

I know people like that. They do not make it back on the invite list!

Great story or joke!
Old 10-08-2015, 03:28 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berta View Post
Thanks for the negative story....

That makes no sense....
Why so defensive, sounds like it happened to you!!!
Old 10-08-2015, 03:29 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWB View Post
hahahahahaha.

I know people like that. They do not make it back on the invite list!

Great story or joke!
No joke, true story!!
Old 10-08-2015, 03:32 PM

Quote:
No joke, true story!!
That is a great true story!
Old 10-08-2015, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Why so defensive, sounds like it happened to you!!!
I just don't get it?

You have a friend, who you invited. You knew he was an "arse" before

Why would you be surprised that he hasent changed?

So is his name Chris? Or just yours?
Old 10-08-2015, 04:08 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berta View Post
I just don't get it?

You have a friend, who you invited. You knew he was an "arse" before

Why would you be surprised that he hasent changed?

So is his name Chris? Or just yours?
Sorry to disappoint you. At this point in time we do not have a friend by the name of Chris, unless you want to assume the name. Then perhaps you could be our decoy.
Old 10-08-2015, 06:45 PM

Hmm, I NEVER ask my friends to pay for fuel. If they offer I thank them and refuse. It's my truck, why should somebody else pay? If I couldn't afford fuel I wouldn't drive an Alberta sized truck.

dd
Old 10-08-2015, 07:00 PM

So why let us all know about this nonsense??
Better pick your hunting friends better
RBH
Old 10-08-2015, 07:30 PM

So you drove to his house for that?........
Old 10-08-2015, 07:57 PM
Gone Hunting

It was not my turn to drive. Buddy, whose pickup we were using that morning thought it would send a message. We have all taken our turns driving over the time that we have hunted together, and nothing is ever been expected for costs. Our "friend" never did offer to use his vehicle, as it was to be used later by his good wife. We would drop him off, and his $75,000 pickup had not moved(neither had his wife's Lexus).
Old 10-08-2015, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Dan View Post
Hmm, I NEVER ask my friends to pay for fuel. If they offer I thank them and refuse. It's my truck, why should somebody else pay? If I couldn't afford fuel I wouldn't drive an Alberta sized truck.

dd
I dont ask, however a gesture which I decline is appreciated. Especially if I have taken said person out repeatedly and I have paid for everything while said friend mooches or will only pay for himself and not offer for anyone else..
Old 10-08-2015, 08:33 PM

Not sure I agree of the way you approached getting back at a guy who doesn't care to pay his way. That did make me chuckle although- some guys do need a wake up call sometimes, I usually give them more than enough chances. They get dropped on the call list to enjoy good hunting/ fishing with friends when relationships get used.
Not all of us are loaded to pay for all expenses- if I was Ide prob help a guy or 2 out on free trips, no prob.
Old 10-08-2015, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game Hunter View Post
Not sure I agree of the way you approached getting back at a guy...
X2

I just wouldn't invite the guy out again, or maybe, just maybe tell the guy to bring his own lunch and that he has to chip in for gas.

Life is too short for dumb sh@&.
Old 10-08-2015, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWB View Post
I dont ask, however a gesture which I decline is appreciated. Especially if I have taken said person out repeatedly and I have paid for everything while said friend mooches or will only pay for himself and not offer for anyone else..
If someone else takes me out I don't offer to pay, I just find something to pay for and do it. If the chance doesn't come up I might offer, if it is declined I'll make sure I pay for something later.
Old 10-08-2015, 09:09 PM

Got a good chuckle out of this whether it is true or not . We all know guys like this and have been used by them and yes it does get old . I find the best solution is one that has already been stated .. they are removed from the invite list . Don't think this guy will ask to go again , problem solved .
Old 10-08-2015, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
If someone else takes me out I don't offer to pay, I just find something to pay for and do it. If the chance doesn't come up I might offer, if it is declined I'll make sure I pay for something later.
There is nothing wrong with that.

I believe what the OP is referring to is a selfish freeloading friend who is fully capable of offering something yet does not. Said friend continues to take advantage of the generosity.
Old 10-08-2015, 10:06 PM

I don't think there is anything wrong in splitting the cost of gas these days. My buddy constantly drives us since I drive an SUV and he has a truck 4x4... But I always offer to pay for gas every second time since we burn half tank every time we go out. And I always buy us food and drinks. I don't want to feel like I am a free loader. After all, everything in this life cost money...
Old 10-09-2015, 06:19 AM

Default Hmm

So. You guys were hunting arsholes; or you were going to be hunting FOR arseholes?
Old 10-09-2015, 06:42 AM

I used to hunt with a guy like this as well. Always asked him to tag along, never asked for anything in return. This year was the breaker. He had his father in law up and wanted to goose hunt. I put on several miles and numerous tanks of gas to find a hunt. I finally found a hunt with another group of guys. Ask for an invite and the group said no problem. We hunted and then it turns out that he and his father in law didn't want any geese. Just wanted to shoot. Ok. Later on that week, they wanted to go on a coyote hunt. Sure thing. Took em out, put em on a couple dogs. They didn't want em. Ok.
So now they're going fishing. I like to fish. No call at all.
I'm driving around and notice his truck parked on the edge of one our fields. I wait for em and here they come with a coyote and a couple chickens. And the kicker is, he's got a couple more of his buddies with em. Hmmmmmm....
I ask him why he didn't phone for permission. No answer.
I've taken him out many times and showed him these spots. Now he thinks he can just go with his buddies without asking?
I no longer ask him to come along. Nor will I again.
Old 10-09-2015, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterfisher View Post
So. You guys were hunting arsholes; or you were going to be hunting FOR arseholes?
LOL. Had to read that twice to catch on......
Old 10-09-2015, 03:08 PM
Banned

Arseholes tend to herd up in the fall ,
Old 10-09-2015, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranch11 View Post
I used to hunt with a guy like this as well. Always asked him to tag along, never asked for anything in return. This year was the breaker. He had his father in law up and wanted to goose hunt. I put on several miles and numerous tanks of gas to find a hunt. I finally found a hunt with another group of guys. Ask for an invite and the group said no problem. We hunted and then it turns out that he and his father in law didn't want any geese. Just wanted to shoot. Ok. Later on that week, they wanted to go on a coyote hunt. Sure thing. Took em out, put em on a couple dogs. They didn't want em. Ok.
So now they're going fishing. I like to fish. No call at all.
I'm driving around and notice his truck parked on the edge of one our fields. I wait for em and here they come with a coyote and a couple chickens. And the kicker is, he's got a couple more of his buddies with em. Hmmmmmm....
I ask him why he didn't phone for permission. No answer.
I've taken him out many times and showed him these spots. Now he thinks he can just go with his buddies without asking?
I no longer ask him to come along. Nor will I again.
I have hunted with people like that before. The only people that I take hunting with me are people that scout and knock on doors with me.
Old 10-09-2015, 04:03 PM

We used to deal with difficulties like that - some poor sod accidentally forgets to ante up and there's hard feelings all around.
Now we just make sure we start out on a full tank of gas, and everyone keeps track of what they spent on hotels/gas/food/whatever. At the end of the trip, everything's added together, divided by the number of guys, and compared to what everyone's paid out. The differences are then sorted out between us - usually by email, itemizing everyones contributions.

One of the guys puts in for every back of chips he passed once around the truck - but so what.

For restaurant meals, we try to get separate bills because some guys pound back a rib-eye and a 1/2 dozen drinks, and another guy doesn't drink alcohol and is happy with a grilled cheese sandwich.

This keeps it transparent, fair & square and lets us concentrate on having fun while having a good trip.

Harper should hire us to manage the Senate for him - we'd have it ship-shape rickety-split!

The only problems we've encountered are when someone brings along their teenaged kid, but thinks he should be excluded from the payment pool. Sorry, he takes up a seat in the truck, a bed in the hotel, and a plate at the table!