Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-29-2019, 07:11 PM

Default Gaff advertised in new regs ?

On page 18 of the new regs there is a product for sale for lifting fish with a hook through the gills with a handle attached. Are gaffs not still illegal in Alberta ?
Old 03-29-2019, 07:52 PM

A guide in Manitoba invented it I think. It actually slides up the gill plate and out the mouth without touching the gills, so they claim. The finger that comes off it is rounded so wouldn’t be considered a gaff. I wouldn’t use it on smaller size fish but if used properly it would work fine !!
Old 03-30-2019, 04:34 PM

I don't know if pushing anything through or around the gill plates is a good idea IMO.

If I have a thrasher, I keep him in the water, use my lip grippers, turn the fish upside down so it calms down, and use pliers in the other hand to get the hook out.

Rarely do I lift the fish up out of the water and never place my hands in the gill plate (never-mind poking my hands through the gills).

Again, not ideal, I'd rather just like to use pliers and pop the hook out without the fish leaving the water or me touching it or lifting it - but there are times when you need to control the head in order to quickly and effectively release the fish.
Old 03-30-2019, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
I don't know if pushing anything through or around the gill plates is a good idea IMO.

If I have a thrasher, I keep him in the water, use my lip grippers, turn the fish upside down so it calms down, and use pliers in the other hand to get the hook out.

Rarely do I lift the fish up out of the water and never place my hands in the gill plate (never-mind poking my hands through the gills).

Again, not ideal, I'd rather just like to use pliers and pop the hook out without the fish leaving the water or me touching it or lifting it - but there are times when you need to control the head in order to quickly and effectively release the fish.
. I guess you never take any pictures. I like to take pics of my bigger fish, and I do use lip grippers sometimes or slide my finger up under the gill plate, but never touch the gills themselves. This tool does the same thing, but good on you for not pulling them out of the water !!
Old 04-01-2019, 12:07 PM

Just checked out their website and their video seemed more like a ad for Blake Bear Island Lodge. The product is not even mentioned in the video. They never show how its applied, they just show it holding fish. $20 USD + $5 USD for shipping.

That's just my opinion.
Old 04-01-2019, 12:16 PM

The standard size is $12. Better for average to large size fish ! The fish in their pics are quite large.