Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-18-2009, 04:26 PM

Default Water clarity frustrations...

Good afternoon gents. I hope most of you are all out enjoying the weather... while fishing, of course .

Yesterday I spent a few hours on the Glenmore res. I was shocked at how murky the water had become only after a few days since my previous visit. Visibility was approx 6 inches and needless to say the fishing was a complete bust.

Tomorrow I'm planning a trip to Travers, McGreggor or Badger, but I don't want to waste my time if the water clarity is poor. Can someone let me know how things are looking out there?

Thanks!
Old 07-18-2009, 04:57 PM

buck is really bad for this time of year still caught some fish but im sure the water clarity played a role in the low numbers we caught. Pigeon lake is in great shape, Pine seems to always be quite murky.
Old 07-18-2009, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duramaximos View Post
Good afternoon gents. I hope most of you are all out enjoying the weather... while fishing, of course .

Yesterday I spent a few hours on the Glenmore res. I was shocked at how murky the water had become only after a few days since my previous visit. Visibility was approx 6 inches and needless to say the fishing was a complete bust.

Tomorrow I'm planning a trip to Travers, McGreggor or Badger, but I don't want to waste my time if the water clarity is poor. Can someone let me know how things are looking out there?

Thanks!
Most water basins will get muddy once in a season and clear up you just have to adapt and instead of throwing traditional colors in clear water like white
or using spinnerbaits with willow leaf blades, use spinnerbaits with Indiana blades or Colorado blades, and pick colors that will show up in murkier water like chartreuse or Black.
Old 07-18-2009, 09:04 PM
Suspended User

Red Deer river as well. We were out this afternoon and it was probably a foot and that was downstream of the dam.

If the water is this dirty, I like to dig out the rattling hooks.
Old 07-19-2009, 12:06 AM

Eastern Slopes water around Hinton seem to be very muddy as well due to the amount of rain recently we've had. Fickle lake tonight I couldn't see my feet in 2 feet of water... Brutal.
Old 07-19-2009, 03:48 AM

Depending on what you use, try some type of rattler's or as suggested Spinnerbaits with Colorado blades(indiana blades are a half arsed solution that doesn't really help).
You want SOUND. The colorado's give off less flash but bigger sound. Vice versa with willow leaves.
Aside from that try more natural colours.
Fish tend to hit the actual shadow or silhouette of the lure suprisingly.
Another tip: If the water is brownish try more earth tones, if it's more green from say algae, try lures with olive or greenish hues. Sometimes that works, sometimes it doesn't.
Old 07-22-2009, 07:26 PM

We hit Badger on Sunday. The water clarity was excellent. Maybe too clear...we only managed 1 pike. I'd estimate it at 10-12 lbs.
We threw everything I had in the water and couldn't quite find the magic that day.

Still, we had a fantastic day...until the thunder, lighting and hail forced us to ditch our kayaks only 1/2 km from our truck. That was interesting .

We saw quite a few pleasure boats on the water, but after examining the lake closely I'm sure I won't be bringing my 19' boat any time soon. Hidden rock bars galore! That lake is leg/prop killer, imo.