Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-04-2018, 10:30 AM

Default Accubond vs Accubond LR

Any have experience with both of these? More so the LR

I shoot a 7mm-08 and have found the BT a little on the violent side under 100 yards, the AB too hard with the 7s “lower” velocity on deer especially.

The LR says they made the jacket thinner up front to expand faster and at lower velocity (1300fps compared to AB at 1800fps). Kinda sounds like the best of both worlds, fast expansion for close up deer and bonded for further away weight retention for elk (maybe) and still AB performance.

Currently I am shooting 140 BT/AB combo, BT for deer and AB for elk/moose. Been ok with performance on both but not really super happy with either. Any experience with these LRs that anyone can weigh in on?
Old 11-04-2018, 10:39 AM
Banned

I have hunted with both Accubonds and ABLR's.

Just incredible how much velosity and energy the ABLR's produce! Given the choice i would go with ABLR's every time. Very pricey though!
Old 11-04-2018, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrouseHunter View Post

Just incredible how much velosity and energy the ABLR's produce! Given the choice i would go with ABLR's every time. Very pricey though!
Yah. Nosler seems to be in general.

They are cheaper then the normal AB. $42/50 compared to $50/50 for my 7mm.

What about performance on game? How did you find them?
Old 11-04-2018, 11:58 AM
Banned

I am using the ABLR's in 190 Grains with my 300 Win Mag and I and getting almost the same velocities and energy as you get with a standard .338

@200 Yards: Velocity: 2583 - Energy: 2816

Personally I am a lung shooter or heart shooter, they pack a heck of a lot of hitting power and are lethal. If you hit bone they are devastating. They are also highly accurate or is it me lol. The basic Accubonds are a great cartridge as well.

I bought the ABLR's primarily for Elk as I plan on hunting elk in the USA on guided Trophy hunts in the near future and wanted a cartridge I could trust to take down elk at long range if necessary.

I trust the ABLR's so much that if I went to Africa, all I would bring would be my 300 Win Mag and the ABLR's.

They cost almost $100.00 a box.

Last edited by GrouseHunter; 11-04-2018 at 12:06 PM.
Old 11-04-2018, 12:36 PM

I used 168gr ABLR's in my 7mm rem mag 3 years ago on a cow elk.
I was pushing them at 3050fps. I shot her twice behind the front shoulder at 220yds.
Maximum penetration was 6-7". Both bullets appeared at have exploded upon impact.
I did recover her after a lengthy tracking job, although she was not dead and I had to shoot her again.
I havnt shot them since. I kinda felt like I bought into the long range gimmick and they sold me with their fancy advertising, when really I dont even hunt long range. Ive never shot an animal over 400yds.
I am using partitions right now and have no intentions on changing.
Old 11-04-2018, 12:40 PM
Banned

Were they hand loads or factory?

I do not load myself and only use factory loads. Isn't 168gr a little on the light side for elk?
Old 11-04-2018, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7mmremmag View Post
I was pushing them at 3050fps. I shot her twice behind the front shoulder at 220yds.
Maximum penetration was 6-7". Both bullets appeared at have exploded upon impact.
I did recover her after a lengthy tracking job, although she was not dead and I had to shoot her again.
I havnt shot them since. I kinda felt like I bought into the long range gimmick and they sold me with their fancy advertising, when really I dont even hunt long range. Ive never shot an animal over 400yds.
Doesn’t sound like very good results at all.

With the 708 I would be lucky to get 2700 with a 150 at muzzle so not sure what results I would expect. The long range ballistics aren’t what I am interested in as much as looking for something bonded to retain weight but will still open up on a deer. The normal ABs seem to pinhole deer with a clean broadside shot.
Old 04-24-2019, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7mmremmag View Post
Good to know. I was considering them, but will stick to 160NP's at 3300fps from a 7mm bee ... mine shoot the 140gr ttsx really well at 3450fps and have apparently anchored elk according to the previous owner
Old 11-04-2018, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrouseHunter View Post

Very very pricey

Some times you catch the Big fish, some times you get stuck in Chip
Old 11-04-2018, 06:58 PM

I found the BC didn’t align with the actual BC at long ranges grouping at 300 was alright but definitely found the accuracy from my Berger hybrids were much better haven’t used the Accubond LR since.
Old 11-04-2018, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astepanuk View Post
I found the BC didn’t align with the actual BC at long ranges grouping at 300 was alright but definitely found the accuracy from my Berger hybrids were much better haven’t used the Accubond LR since.
I’ve noticed the same, I’ve also found the terminal performance to be inferior to the Berger’s as well on game.
Old 11-04-2018, 07:38 PM
Banned

I use the 150gr LRAB in my 270wsm, 3000fps, dropped a buck last year 190 yards and had a clean pass-thru. Only found a teeny piece of copper jacket near the wound.
Old 11-04-2018, 07:58 PM

I used both AB - 130gr & ABLR - 129gr in my 6.5 Creedmoor @ 2750fps - my own hand loads.
Personally I haven’t noticed any difference in expansion, but get better accuracy with the AB’s in my rifle, (found projectile seating depth extremely important for accuracy with both projectiles).

I gues, not to sound obvious,... that expansion is a function of a few different factors, simplified as a combination of: Projectile construction, weight, velocity & Target density.

That’s why I only push the AB 130’s @ 2750fps,... that construction, weight, & velocity give me the best results on deer with my rifle, under my hunting situations thus far.

Next, I’ll be trying Hornady 143gr ELD-X,... the search for perfection continues,...!

Enjoy,...
Old 04-23-2019, 03:45 PM

I just switch over from 160gr hornedy sst to 168 Winchester ABLR. So far so good...

Winchester ABLR vs Nosler ABLR... Anyone tried both and is there a big difference?

Sent from my LG-M320G using Tapatalk
Old 04-23-2019, 10:26 PM

Default Accubond vs Accubond LR

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic99 View Post
I just switch over from 160gr hornedy sst to 168 Winchester ABLR. So far so good...

Winchester ABLR vs Nosler ABLR... Anyone tried both and is there a big difference?

Sent from my LG-M320G using Tapatalk

Accubond or Accubond LR refer to the bullet, both of which are proprietary to Nosler.

Incidentally, both Nosler and Winchester offer loaded ammunition tipped with Accubond and Accubond LR bullets.

I believe the OP was asking about bullet terminal performance, rather than loaded ammunition performance.

To answer the OP’s question, I have some experience with both the Accubond and LR versions. I think that the Accubond is the better bullet across impact velocities ranging from 3100+ FPS to 1900 or so. At and below 1900 FPS the LR version may see better terminal performance. Also note that the bottom end velocity listed by Nosler for the Accubond is 1800, while the LR is 1300, if memory serves me correctly. Although tempting on paper, an impact velocity of 1300 is pretty darn slow for hunting, and energy would also be low.

I am getting better performance and accuracy out of the ELDX than the Accubond LR, with still enough velocity to keep me over 1800 FPS out well past 600 yds in my 6.5 Creedmoor. That’s more than enough for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk