Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 02-02-2016, 08:25 PM

Default Obsession bows

I'm considering buying an Obsession Defcon6 to use as my new hunting bow. Anybody have any experience/feedback on them? Thanks in advance.
Old 02-03-2016, 07:16 AM

I bought one in Nov it is a dream to shoot. nice back stop. quiet and fast. way better then the Diamond I had

got mine at OC Archery in Airdrie. They will have some of these bows at the sportsman show this weekend I am told

shoot one and I bet you don't look back
Old 02-15-2016, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sled Ed View Post
I bought one in Nov it is a dream to shoot. nice back stop. quiet and fast. way better then the Diamond I had

got mine at OC Archery in Airdrie. They will have some of these bows at the sportsman show this weekend I am told

shoot one and I bet you don't look back

Thanks sled ed and sorry for the late response. I was in at OC the other day and shot an obsession M7. It was beautiful! I think I'm sold on one, just need to decide what color I want...
Old 02-16-2016, 08:12 PM
Banned

After trying the new BT-X, the Impulse 31, the defiant, and the Decree, I ordered a Def-Con M6. I was going to get the 6 but I've been hearing there's only 2-4fps difference between the two and they want a $100 more for a draw specific cam. I'm a 29" in some bows and 29-1/2" in others and mods are cheaper to change than cams.

It should be here in three weeks, can't wait.
Old 02-20-2016, 07:53 PM
Banned

After seeing an Obsession Def-Con M6 in full Typhon with orange cams I had to pull the trigger on it. After buying it I did what I always do and brought it to Lawrence over at Accurate Archery and we spec'd it up. First off we put it on the scale, and it maxed out right around 68#, and shooting a 444gr arrow I was getting 296fps. We put 9 twists in each cable, took a twist out of the string and had it set at 71lbs, 29" draw, 32" ATA and got 309fps with the same 444gr arrow.

After taking a couple shots with it, even Lawrence gave it the nod of approval. I really wish Lawrence would start selling these bows, I bet he'd sell a ton of them. At these spec's and speeds the Def-Con M6 is coming in at exactly it's advertised IBO at 352fps, pretty impressive for such a smooth drawing bow.

Old 02-20-2016, 09:37 PM

I'll be ordering a BT-X in the same camo pattern. Nice looking bow Kurt!

LC
Old 02-20-2016, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I'll be ordering a BT-X in the same camo pattern. Nice looking bow Kurt!

LC

Whaaaat but it is not a Bowtech
Old 02-20-2016, 10:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond k View Post
Whaaaat but it is not a Bowtech
The BTX is a Bowtech! 😁

Thanks Lefty, when I walked into the shop and saw the Kryptek Typhon with orange cams and strings, I was sold. I have no regrets, this bow is hitting IBO and up to 2fps over, and has a smoother draw than my RPM 360. I wouldn't believe it if I never tested it myself. I really wish there was a dealer in the Edmonton area (hint hint to any local shops).

Too bad you're not right Lefty, I'd let you give it a few shots. The do make them in left hand at the same price I do believe tho.
Old 02-20-2016, 10:22 PM

those obsessions sure are sharp looking congrats
Old 02-20-2016, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
The BTX is a Bowtech! 😁

Thanks Lefty, when I walked into the shop and saw the Kryptek Typhon with orange cams and strings, I was sold. I have no regrets, this bow is hitting IBO and up to 2fps over, and has a smoother draw than my RPM 360. I wouldn't believe it if I never tested it myself. I really wish there was a dealer in the Edmonton area (hint hint to any local shops).

Too bad you're not right Lefty, I'd let you give it a few shots. The do make them in left hand at the same price I do believe tho.
I can shoot most right hand bows, except for Hoyt's. I like the Typhon camo, glad that it's now offered by Bowtech on most of the 2016 bows. The Highlander is nice looking camo too. I'll be sticking to the Bowtech bows for a while though

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 02-20-2016 at 10:28 PM.
Old 02-20-2016, 10:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I'll be sticking to the Bowtech bows for a while though

LC
Number one reason why I don't shoot competitively. With so many good bows out there it would be tough to stick to just one brand!

It wouldn't kill ya to just try one shot.... Heck, it even made Lawrence mention Obsession and Darton in the same sentence!!!!
Old 02-21-2016, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Number one reason why I don't shoot competitively. With so many good bows out there it would be tough to stick to just one brand!

It wouldn't kill ya to just try one shot.... Heck, it even made Lawrence mention Obsession and Darton in the same sentence!!!!
You should come out and shoot. There's no one telling you what you have to shoot. Others may even benefit from your experience at competitions as well.

9 twists in each cable? Wow, that is pretty horrible tune out of the factory. Looks pretty cool though, have fun with it!
Old 02-21-2016, 11:35 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by normanrd View Post
You should come out and shoot. There's no one telling you what you have to shoot. Others may even benefit from your experience at competitions as well.

9 twists in each cable? Wow, that is pretty horrible tune out of the factory. Looks pretty cool though, have fun with it!
Ya, 9 twists but there's more to the story than just coming from the factory like that. It started life as a 60lb bow and was swapped over to 70lb limbs on short notice, there wasn't enough time to get it to spec the night I grabbed it. I can't wait to get some time behind the string on this one.

As far as going to the shoots is concerned, I don't think I've got anything to teach anyone that they most likely don't already know. I enjoy just shooting, I think turning it into a competition would take the fun out of it for me. I did enjoy the outdoor 3D shoot I did in lac la biche, the Mother of all shoots was ok, but I much rather shoot the outdoor shoots I think, because it doesn't have the competition feel to it. Plus I couldn't afford it, I'm not good enough to make money at it, I'd like to do what Rene does and just judge it.
Old 02-21-2016, 12:14 PM

Ah. . The rest of the story! Makes more sense now. The thing about 3d shoots and competition is that it will make you a better archer if you apply yourself and challenge yourself with friendly competition.
Old 02-21-2016, 06:53 PM

Kurt505, that is a beautiful bow! Thanks for sharing the info. I'm sold on the Defcon M7, just gotta squeeze the cash past the old lady and get it ordered!
Old 02-21-2016, 07:11 PM

Kurt, that bow looks amazing!
I have avoided oc archery every time I'm in the area because I'm afraid an obsession bow will compel me to change when I should just be satisfied with my setup. Those specs and hearing how impressed you and Lawrence are just confirms I dare not try one unless I'm planning on buying one
Old 02-21-2016, 08:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
After seeing an Obsession Def-Con M6 in full Typhon with orange cams I had to pull the trigger on it. After buying it I did what I always do and brought it to Lawrence over at Accurate Archery and we spec'd it up. First off we put it on the scale, and it maxed out right around 68#, and shooting a 444gr arrow I was getting 296fps. We put 9 twists in each cable, took a twist out of the string and had it set at 71lbs, 29" draw, 32" ATA and got 309fps with the same 444gr arrow.

After taking a couple shots with it, even Lawrence gave it the nod of approval. I really wish Lawrence would start selling these bows, I bet he'd sell a ton of them. At these spec's and speeds the Def-Con M6 is coming in at exactly it's advertised IBO at 352fps, pretty impressive for such a smooth drawing bow.

That might be too pretty to take outdoors lol nice looking setup , seems to be a more popular brand each year.
Old 02-21-2016, 11:19 PM
Banned

Thanks guys, I gotta say that this bow shoots every bit as good as it looks. I highly suggest that if someone is in the market for a new bow, to try one of these out. If you're not in the market for a new bow, I highly recommend you don't try one of these, because you might have some explaining to do to your wife when you come home with a new bow. 6speedgtx, you're going to love that bow!