Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-05-2011, 11:03 PM

was also there today..........wow was it busy.......

and way up north on the water ...the algae was getting thick.....it was like pea soup

but still had a great day....lots of walleyes but only one pike
Old 09-06-2011, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Hunter Okotoks View Post
Hmmmmmmm,directions to PCR...........sounds familiar! Do you get there in "your"..........wait for it................wait for it...................VAN!!!
Pretty funny. Big smile here.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:02 AM

SHARE fishing is good for every one
Old 09-06-2011, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pike'n'walleye View Post
I dont wan't to sound like a ***** or anything, but place like PCR I wouldnt talk about too much. Yes that place is awesome for fishing, especially for kids. But why ask everyone and show this thread to 10000 other AO users? Keep it secret. There were hundreds of posts about it before, but why would you want to share that spot with thousands of people. keep it to yourself and the friends you trust
Is this post a joke?
Old 09-06-2011, 04:07 PM

I hope so... PCR must be one of the most well known places to go. Even the shores are well lined with people when I've went there. It's definitely not a secret and hasn't been for a long time.
Old 09-06-2011, 05:26 PM

I hear those Walleye's are almost starving... seriously. Its what I hear
Old 09-09-2011, 05:45 AM

So some friends and I were at PCR yesterday and in totally be caught somewhere in the range of 60 total.

One interesting on was a Walleye that deepthroated a hook, I though I got it out in time/with enough care and returned him to the water and he swam away "fairly" healthy looking, but a couple minuted later the poor guy floats to the surface in the putrid green/blue/white slimy crap that was building up over the entire water surface. Anyhow that's the sad part of the story, from here we are watching this fish drifting away reflecting over how we could have done better, we start back into fishing and probably moments after we've all looked away....

BBBBBLLLLLLLLLLLLLAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMMMMMOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOO

This huge explosion of water, and the fish is gone......

We nearly crapped our pants I'm sure when the pike hit it. The only reason we think it's a Pike was earlier in the day one of my comrades while reeling in his walleye notice some monster come shooting out of the darkness after the distressed walleye on the hook, but it never took that one. Thanks god since he only had a mono Pickerel rig setup on at the time.

By the end of the say I managed to land the only Pike of the day out of 60 something walleyes, but never did find out about the super pike that ate the walleye.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:00 AM

My first year fishing and I just want to thank everyone for this thread. I caught my first walleye, my first fish over 40 cm and had one of the most exciting fishing days ever.... warmup for the sailfish down south this winter. *lol* Just awesome and I never would have known it was there if it weren't for fisherman SHARING. Kinda wanted to pat the walleye on the head and feed them a minnow before putting em back so they keep coming back for more!

Sad that some people were gut-hooking these fish though - stupid if you ask me. I'm still learning but I don't see a reason to miss a hit from these fish, ever.
Old 09-12-2011, 03:05 PM

good to hear. great place for beginners to get into fishing.
you can,t keep them & they are always hungry so i
don,t know why it should be a big secret.lol

congrats!

orv.
Old 10-02-2011, 07:48 AM

Anyone been to PCR lately? How's the fishing now?

This might sound weird, but I want to target the burbot. Any advice?
Old 10-02-2011, 07:53 AM

Default Regs

Watch your regs as burbot fishing is more a night fishing experience and PCR like a few other lakes has a closure after sunset until ice season hits.
Old 10-02-2011, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygringo View Post
Watch your regs as burbot fishing is more a night fishing experience and PCR like a few other lakes has a closure after sunset until ice season hits.
Thanks for the heads up. No intentions of night fishing at the moment, just seeing if I can catch any during the day.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azn_rice_man View Post
Anyone been to PCR lately? How's the fishing now?

This might sound weird, but I want to target the burbot. Any advice?
For burbot in general- check regs for bait use where you fish.

Buy a tin of cheap cat food( tuna flavor etc) open and dump the contents into a ziplock baggie and add flour in small amounts and knead thru the bag till it clumps and can be formed into small balls.

Small hook and imbed in a large pea sized dough ball and run a slip bobber set-up with bait on the "bottom" not 6" up but slack on the bottom-Slip bobber will be lying on it's side but no worries.
Have fun
Old 10-02-2011, 02:08 PM

Default Day burbs

You may catch the odd one during the day or even just before sunset. Just put a nasty smelly smelt on a jig and let it sit on the bottom and wait for them to bite. At PCR out around the dock area, in front of the campground and around the bridge will catch a burb. The best time is after dark when they come alive. Lots of them in there but smaller variety. Don't forget there is also clear lake just across the hiway the other direction and people do quite well there too. Not as many but better size. No daylight restrictions there so even if you didn't stay real late you could maybe catch the just after dark bite or catch a monster pike.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:53 PM

Thanks for all the tips!

Just came back after spending a few hours there down by the campgrounds. Only caught about a dozen medium 'eyes... No pikes, no burbots.

I'm hoping for nice weather next weekend, too, so maybe I can try the evening fishing.