Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-29-2011, 11:11 AM

Default fishing wabamun this weekend

Hey guys I'm new to the forum.

I was going to head out the lac la biche this weekend, but the weather is looking uncooperative this weekend so we decided on wabamun instead. I've never fished wabamun before, we're in a 20 ft harbercraft jet boat, I was wondering on some general direction as to good late season pike. Any ideas as to bait and good spots to start? I obviously don't want any secret honey holes, but I would love to not have to troll the entire lake. What success have you had with lures? Any help is much appreciated, this forum has helped me a lot in the past, I finally decided to join after using the forum so much.
thanks
Old 09-29-2011, 11:25 AM

Welocome aboard!! October is probably the best open water time for a lake like wab iMO. Personally I like using big spoons like len thompsons or blue fox the colors I find can vary on time of day, light and hey a little bit of luck. It's decent size like so I can understand you not wanting to troll around all day so my suggestion would be to stay somewhat close to the town of wab at the launch. I'd be suprised if you didnt have much success anywhere on the east side of the lake. I'll be out there sunday white/brown tri hull with a chrysler strapped on the back if you see it come by and say hi and I can give you a little more detail if your not hookin up. Rapalas and large crank baits produce , aswell as the storm rubber imitations ie. perch, pike. As for depth that one can always be tricky I find the big pike are usually starting to make their way into shallower waters 8-12 ft is where I've had most success however others may find different.

Good luck, tight lines.
Old 09-29-2011, 11:51 AM

try nearish the mouth of the canals, they come cruising in as the water cools...all else fails look for a fishy looking weed bed, theres bound to be a few pike who call it home..for hardware i'd say big silver spoons and make sure you spit shine them so they really flash down there. Cyclops is a great brand..other colors for raps/cranks i'd say metallic blue or bright copper but make sure there clean n shiny.Anchor up and float smelts off the bottom near a weed bed if hardware aint working..

if your not trolling hardware try some soft plastic STORM baby pike imitations. they work wonders in the spring but I have had takes all threw out the year.

" There he stands, draped in more equipment than a telephone lineman, trying to outwit an organism with a brain no bigger than a breadcrumb, and getting licked in the process. ~Paul O'Neil, 1965 "
Old 09-29-2011, 11:54 AM

Cant go wrong with staight out from the Town Launch .
Seems there is always fish there.

Or...
Go to Fallis Point. about 150 ft out from the shore there is a
drop off that goes from 4-8 ft to 14-20 .
It goes all the way around the point so there is lots of real estate
to cover.
Get on that shelf and drag something big down at the bottom.

Or... from the Town Launch....
go accross the lake at about in a 2 o'clock positon to the
of the power stations. This one has 3 stacks. East of that station
about 300 - 400 yards out .... same thing.... a trench that goes up
and down . Use your sonar to find a few ups and downs.

And by the way..... The Town Launch has shut down the
parking / launch payment system for the season so its free. now.

Best of luck ...... let us konw how you did .
Old 09-29-2011, 01:08 PM

You may not fish wabamun.... its my honey hole...... lol try out off the fallis point theres a nice lege out there tons of nice sized pike there, out off the point of pooint allions is also good little more hit n miss than fallis, south end of the lake is good too if, you fish near the old transalta inlet and outlet theres some decent action there aswell. They take herring smelt and anchovies, and anything else you put on ur hook fish wise. Ive had good luck on large top water flies, spoons, spinners and cranks, aswell as spinner baits so really its up to you...... good luck post some picsu
Old 09-30-2011, 08:02 AM

Jeeze I should have joined up here sooner. Thanks for all the help, much appreciated. I'll pick up some rubber imitations and maybe a few flashy rapalas. Are you guys sticking to surface retrieve or divers? Also the weather is looking like it may be balls out there, is that an issue? supposed to be light rain. Coal lake has a good forecast in the same relative distance, would i regret going there?
Old 09-30-2011, 08:25 AM

Get yourself some x-raps 4 to 8' dive, hothead finish....youll catch lots
Old 09-30-2011, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbb1080 View Post
Jeeze I should have joined up here sooner. Thanks for all the help, much appreciated. I'll pick up some rubber imitations and maybe a few flashy rapalas. Are you guys sticking to surface retrieve or divers? Also the weather is looking like it may be balls out there, is that an issue? supposed to be light rain. Coal lake has a good forecast in the same relative distance, would i regret going there?
You won't need anything that dives crazy deep...Wab is a fairly shallow lake overall, and if you're sticking around the shorelines you're not likely to be in much more than 10' of water.

Coal is also a very shallow lake, and I know that this summer it got pretty choked with weeds - I'm not sure what shape it'll be in now, but count on cleaning junk off your hook a lot. The forecast I looked at is showing rain out the Coal lake way as well.

If you want bigger fish, your best bet is to hit Wab.

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 09-30-2011, 10:44 AM

Check the Regs before you head out because if I recall right there is a hook size limitation starting Saturday.

Good Luck
Old 09-30-2011, 11:22 AM

Quote:
If you have a 20ft harbourcraft you won't have any issues what so ever, supposed to be cool with a chance of rain but as long as the wind ain't to bad well I'm sure I don't have to tell you.

If your looking for BIG pike you likely won't regret hitting wab, me and a couple forum members are going rain or shine on sunday, and it's been a while since I've been this excited even though I fished alot this summer, I just have a "that feeling" that itwill be an epic day..... ie BIG FISH!!
Old 09-30-2011, 11:33 AM

Don't underestimate a big plug ripped across the surface... sometimes in only 3-5 FOW I will get a massive SPALOOSH followed by my rod doubling over. again bright colors and a fast, erratic retrieve always drives pike crazy.

maybe try some of those big fluffy Musky Killer's or some jerk baits if hardware ain't producing.

" There he stands, draped in more equipment than a telephone lineman, trying to outwit an organism with a brain no bigger than a breadcrumb, and getting licked in the process. ~Paul O'Neil, 1965 "
Old 09-30-2011, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube View Post
Check the Regs before you head out because if I recall right there is a hook size limitation starting Saturday.

Good Luck
Doh! I forgot about that...that's gonna rule out a few of my giant cranks unless I take the time to swap out the hooks (unlikely)

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 09-30-2011, 03:44 PM

Off to fishin hole i go. I'll pick up some of your suggestions. Anybody sees us out there come say hi and share some success. There are 6 of us in a orange harbercraft.
Old 09-30-2011, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Off to fishin hole i go. I'll pick up some of your suggestions. Anybody sees us out there come say hi and share some success. There are 6 of us in a orange harbercraft.
What day are you going? Or are going sat and sun?
Old 09-30-2011, 03:58 PM
Banned

head to the sundance side close to the plant. the boat your in should get you there in about 2 minutes lol. everyone recomending the wabamun side musnt have fished that side of the lake yet
Old 09-30-2011, 04:11 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by exitwound View Post
head to the sundance side close to the plant. the boat your in should get you there in about 2 minutes lol. everyone recomending the wabamun side musnt have fished that side of the lake yet
Sundance, seba, Allison..... It's probably harder to find a spot that doesn't fish well as to one that does.
Old 09-30-2011, 05:32 PM

Thats the impression I'm getting. Haha. I'll be there Sunday around 9am. How do I find these spots? I'm new to the lake. We have a cabin on pigeon so were usually around there. Walleye are no fun anymore...
Old 09-30-2011, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Thats the impression I'm getting. Haha. I'll be there Sunday around 9am. How do I find these spots? I'm new to the lake. We have a cabin on pigeon so were usually around there. Walleye are no fun anymore...
Pm sent!
Old 10-01-2011, 07:04 PM

Today was my first time out on lake wab and we only caught 3. We fished from the wab boat launch to the train bridge into moonlight bay. We tried many different hooks from big shiny spoons to pike soft plastic imitation lures. Not sure what else we could have done, they didn't seem interested today and we snagged a heck of alot of weeds.
Old 10-01-2011, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattattack View Post
Today was my first time out on lake wab and we only caught 3. We fished from the wab boat launch to the train bridge into moonlight bay. We tried many different hooks from big shiny spoons to pike soft plastic imitation lures. Not sure what else we could have done, they didn't seem interested today and we snagged a heck of alot of weeds.
Good to know. I'll have to make sure we've got some bait on board tomorrow just in case they're just looking for an easy meal now that the temps have cooled off some.

- Strung Out

- Douglas Adams
Old 10-01-2011, 07:57 PM

What's the reg change on hook size? I have the regs in my truck,but that's outside and it's raining now so it's easier to ask you guys from the comfort of my computer chair.lol
Old 10-02-2011, 08:07 PM

success! Fished moonlight bay to no avail, allison point, again nothing. Went over by the power plant after a couple hours and hooked and 8 pounder. They went further east and banged off another 8 and a 19 pounder. All in all we caught 20 or so. great luck with a 4" storm walleye, by far the most effective of the day. Thanks for all the advice!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo(3).jpg (61.5 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg photo(2).jpg (54.8 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg photo(1).jpg (61.7 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg photo.jpg (25.1 KB, 87 views)
Old 10-02-2011, 08:26 PM

Wabuman regs....

Wabamun Lake & tributaries & outlet & canals
Apr. 1 to May 19 – CLOSED
May 20 to Sept. 30 – Walleye limit 0; Pike limit 0; Perch limit 0; Lake Whitefish limit 0; Burbot limit 0.
Oct. 1 to Nov. 30 Open only between sunrise and sunset of each day; hook size must not measure more than 10 mm from point to shaft – see hook size; Walleye limit 0; Pike limit 0; Perch limit 0; Lake Whitefish limit 0; Burbot limit 0.
Dec. 1 to Mar. 31 – Walleye limit 0; Pike limit 0; Perch limit 0; Lake Whitefish limit 0; Burbot limit 0.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:31 PM

Quote:
success! Fished moonlight bay to no avail, allison point, again nothing. Went over by the power plant after a couple hours and hooked and 8 pounder. They went further east and banged off another 8 and a 19 pounder. All in all we caught 20 or so. great luck with a 4" storm walleye, by far the most effective of the day. Thanks for all the advice!
Well atleast you had some great luck. Would have liked to explore more spots on the lake but we were only in a small boat.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:43 PM

Nice work! Same with us we couldnt find anything the first couple hours then sure enough over by the plant things really got good!! Between 3 of us we got 25-30 fish total highlights were 9, 11, 12, 15.5 & 17.5lbs. After about 3:30 it was over not a nibble after that?
Old 10-02-2011, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseknuckle View Post
Nice work! Same with us we couldnt find anything the first couple hours then sure enough over by the plant things really got good!! Between 3 of us we got 25-30 fish total highlights were 9, 11, 12, 15.5 & 17.5lbs. After about 3:30 it was over not a nibble after that?
Maybe the fish were in warmer water. Should have explored more. Ohwell it was a learning experience on a new lake.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattattack View Post
Maybe the fish were in warmer water. Should have explored more. Ohwell it was a learning experience on a new lake.
It was a bit of an odd day at wab today, the spots you were fishing do usually produce well? Moonlight bay has never been good though. Keep exploring the lake and good things will happen.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:59 PM

Congrats on a few nice looking fish.
Old 10-02-2011, 10:26 PM

Talking

Nice fish. Cant wait till the hardwater on Wab.
Old 10-03-2011, 08:49 AM

Was thinking about hitting Wab up this past weekend. Moose give me and Rye a shout next time, meet you guys out there.....