Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-11-2021, 12:34 AM
Gone Hunting

Default Faulty trolling moter from new.

I have a wee problem one of you might know something about. I'm hoping.

I bought a Minn Kota Endura Max trolling motor this fall and it has an issue.

First time I hooked it up it acted strange. It runs for about ten seconds then cuts out for about two seconds, then runs again for ten more and cuts out again.

First try I thought it might be the battery so I tried another. Same issue.
Both batteries had recently been fully charged, as in less the a day before.

So I took it out for a run to see what it would do over time.

In a thirty minute run it continued to cycle from on to off at all speeds very consistently, ten on two off.

I checked and could find nothing getting hot, or even warm, on either the motor or the control board.

I would return it on warranty but I don't think they would honor it.
First because I can't find the receipt and second because the handle detent broke when I tried to slide it on during setup.

Thinking that would be the only issue I crazy clued the handle on. After all, once it's on you can't take it off even with the detent working.

Has anyone had this issue and if so, did you get it fixed or replace it on warranty?

The reason I ask is because I suspect it's the control board malfunctioning but I was told that that board is tested at the factory and again by many retilers.

If so it would be highly unlikely for the board to malfunction from new.
But we all know things sometimes get sent out without being tested.

I know a new board is about $100.00 and that isn't a concern. I just don't want to spend an additional $100.00 on a clearly faulty product if it's not going to solve the issue.

Keep in mind, I am trained in electronic repairs. I have done all the appropriate tests, current draw, battery charge and all that.

But I can't test the board in any way other then to replace it because it is encased in epoxy or some equivalent.

If someone else has had this problem and knows for sure if it's the board or not, that would be a big help.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-11-2021, 07:26 AM

Hey Keg.

You should have a two year warranty.

Contact Minn Kota after sending in your registration card.

If it’s broke they should repair or give you a new one.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 11-11-2021, 07:46 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Corrosion somewhere was the only other thing I could think of since you went over everything else, low voltage as these motors are very sensitively?

I would call them and see if you could get technical help since your probably not the first one with this issue.

Good luck.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-11-2021, 08:45 AM

Minn Kota has excellent warranty performance.

I have gotten things taken care without even the request of a receipt.
Old 11-11-2021, 08:57 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Black R/T View Post
Minn Kota has excellent warranty performance.

I have gotten things taken care without even the request of a receipt.
I finally got a response from Minn Kota, they say to take it back to where I bought it, which unfortunately is Crappy Tire. So definitely no help without a receipt.

Our CT outlet is one of the worst I have ever dealt with.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-11-2021, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
I finally got a response from Minn Kota, they say to take it back to where I bought it, which unfortunately is Crappy Tire. So definitely no help without a receipt.

Did you pay cash or credit?

If credit contact your credit card company for a copy of the receipt?

You can also return to any Canadian Tire.

If you have your warranty card filled out… take a copy. Canadian Tire is just honouring the minn Kota warranty.

It’s a pain if they give you a hard time.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 11-11-2021, 09:04 AM

Quote:

Did you pay cash or credit?

If credit contact your credit card company for a copy of the receipt?

You can also return to any Canadian Tire.

If you have your warranty card filled out… take a copy. Canadian Tire is just honouring the minn Kota warranty.

It’s a pain if they give you a hard time.

You just want to exchange it for a new one… best case?

Get Minn Kota to email your instruction to return to CT.
Old 11-11-2021, 09:13 AM

CT will pull your receipt by swiping your debit card or credit card, as will most big box places. If you paid cash your hooped
Old 11-11-2021, 09:26 AM

If you use a CT reward card (triangle card) and have an online account you can pull up a listing of all of your instore purchases, which may help.
Old 11-11-2021, 09:49 AM

For Canadian Tire and from someone who works there.

Any Canadian Tire can search for your receipt if

1. You paid with debit or credit card and still have the same card.

2. Or you swiped your triangle rewards card and it the same card you used for the purchase they can search it

If you paid with a phone app or cash then you need the receipt to prove you bought it at Canadian Tire.

So good news… if you did the transaction right then any Canadian Tire can search and do an exchange or warranty service.
Old 11-11-2021, 09:57 AM

Yup. Canadian Tire can go back over a year. I had them do it for my ION 8" when it had issues. Just go to the Customer Service desk and explain to them why you need the receipt. If they balk ask for the manager. They can 100% print you a new receipt for warranty purposes.
Old 11-11-2021, 11:11 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jims83cj5 View Post
CT will pull your receipt by swiping your debit card or credit card, as will most big box places. If you paid cash your hooped

You got it!

I don't use credit cards and my debit card won't do purchases over $200.00 so it was a cash deal.

Please everyone, understand, I am NOT looking for warranty advice.
If that is what I wanted I would ask the manufacturer.

I could write a book about the many frustrating encounters I've had with Warranty/service calls.

In fact I just got off the phone with Shaw. Our Satellite receiver is over heating and shuts down occasionally.

It did it for the third time in two months, last night. So today we called Shaw to order a new receiver, NOT ON WARRANTY. We fully expect to pay in full for it.

Problem is this fool won't sell us a new one without a subscription, unless the old one no longer works. And he insists there is nothing wrong when it is working so he won't sell us a replacement without a new subscription.

Yet when it isn't working he says he can't sell us a replacement unless he can connect via the receiver, to our system to retrieve our unit ID number.
And he won't connect us to a supervisor because he claims we are making a fuss about nothing. Because the receiver works now. And will until it overheats again.

That is why I don't want to mess around with trying to get warranty on a product I had to alter just to try it.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-11-2021, 03:33 PM

Yep, I get it. Replace main board for the $100 and I suspect it will all be well. I had one go South after 2 years...not quite the same. Took it in for main board replacement. Still running 10 years later.
Old 11-11-2021, 08:21 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
Yep, I get it. Replace main board for the $100 and I suspect it will all be well. I had one go South after 2 years...not quite the same. Took it in for main board replacement. Still running 10 years later.
That is good news. Thanks.

It was my main concern, that a new board would not fix the problem.

I don't mind spending an extra $100.00 if that will fix the issue. For me it's better then the frustration of dealing with warranty departments.

Now to find out if they will ship into Canada. The only links I could find that had the part in stock are stateside. I did find out some things can't be sent across the border.

I do a fair bit of firearm repairs and over the years I've had thousands of dollars in parts shipped up from the US.

Not anymore apparently. My historic source says they are not allowed to ship outside the US anymore. I can't even get trigger guard screws for a .22 anymore.
And the bolt just broke on my Remington 552.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-12-2021, 09:10 AM

Quote:

I don't mind spending an extra $100.00 if that will fix the issue. For me it's better then the frustration of dealing with warranty departments.

Now to find out if they will ship into Canada. The only links I could find that had the part in stock are stateside. I did find out some things can't be sent across the border.

I do a fair bit of firearm repairs and over the years I've had thousands of dollars in parts shipped up from the US.

Not anymore apparently. My historic source says they are not allowed to ship outside the US anymore. I can't even get trigger guard screws for a .22 anymore.

That sucks! What a strange post-Covid impacted supply chain we have.

I got mine fixed through the Reel Doctor in Edmonton. Of course that is a life time ago now.
Old 11-12-2021, 10:00 AM
Gone Hunting

Yeah it's crazy out there.

I ordered a Stihl earth auger this spring, it came in 4 months later.
Pre-Covid it would have been here within a week.

Prior to 2019 I'd have just taken the trolling motor back to the store when I first encountered problems with it, but these days I avoid going out in public if at all possible.

This time I recall thinking it would be easier and safer to just fix the handle issue myself, even though I knew it would void any warranty.

Sad how safety has become the number one consideration on a shopping trip.

Don't get me wrong, it's not Covid I wish to avoid, it's the crazy city people.
Too many nut jobs who think they are public safety enforcers.

I don't care to get yelled at for walking down a sidewalk without a mask on.

For one those masks make it very hard for me to breath because of my lung issues, and two, there is no protocol that requires anyone to wear a mask while walking down an empty sidewalk.
Yeah the broad was on the other side of the street. I was the only person in sight on my side.

The world has gone nuts.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-12-2021, 10:20 AM

It sounds like a bad board or a bad connection that causes the voltage to drop off, which triggers the circuit board to shut down the motor. A battery that won't carry the voltage under load could also be an issue, but if you tried multiple batteries, that likely isn't the issue.
Old 11-12-2021, 10:45 AM

Quote:

I would give Trevor a call at The Reel Doctor in Edmonton. He is the warranty repair center for Minn Kota around here and should be able to help you get it fixed, even if not under warranty.

SS

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 11-12-2021, 07:08 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSteele View Post
I would give Trevor a call at The Reel Doctor in Edmonton. He is the warranty repair center for Minn Kota around here and should be able to help you get it fixed, even if not under warranty.

SS
Thank you Sam. It's too late for today but I'll call him in the morning.

Good chance he has the board in stock. Sure can't hurt to ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
It sounds like a bad board or a bad connection that causes the voltage to drop off, which triggers the circuit board to shut down the motor. A battery that won't carry the voltage under load could also be an issue, but if you tried multiple batteries, that likely isn't the issue.

Yeah that's pretty much what I figured too. I did monitor the voltage during operation. There was no voltage drop at the board input at any point during testing.

The motor would run at full speed right up till when the relay shut it off.

So I figure now that the relay is faulty either that or a heat sensor or current sensor is set too low.
Either way it is not repairable. The whole thing is completely encased in epoxy.

Any attempt to access any part would destroy the board.

It's kind of annoying actually. I am trained in circuit repair and have done a lot of it over the years.

I even had a radio repair shop for a number of years, specializing in CB and two way radio repair. A motor control circuit is child play compared to a two way radio.

I have no doubt I could fix the board myself if I could access the components. But past experience tells me it's not possible with encased circuits.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-23-2021, 02:41 AM
Gone Hunting

Well I got the replacement circuit board today.
Thanks to SamSteele.

It took about 15 minutes to install and it works like it ought to now.

My final conclusions, don't trust advertisers. LOL Like I didn't know that.

But the claim that these things are tested twice before being sold made me doubt my tests. But the tests were right and the claims obviously wrong.

Second conclusion, AO has some awesome members. LOL Yeah I knew that too.

And I got a bonus too. He sent me the whole upper housing, which included a handle that works the way it is supposed to. The original handle would have worked, but it wouldn't telescope like it is supposed to and this one does.

So now I have a motor that works like new and it only cost me $150.00 more the retail to get it.
Oh well, some things are not a good deal.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-23-2021, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Well I got the replacement circuit board today.
Thanks to SamSteele.

It took about 15 minutes to install and it works like it ought to now.

My final conclusions, don't trust advertisers. LOL Like I didn't know that.

But the claim that these things are tested twice before being sold made me doubt my tests. But the tests were right and the claims obviously wrong.

Second conclusion, AO has some awesome members. LOL Yeah I knew that too.

And I got a bonus too. He sent me the whole upper housing, which included a handle that works the way it is supposed to. The original handle would have worked, but it wouldn't telescope like it is supposed to and this one does.

So now I have a motor that works like new and it only cost me $150.00 more the retail to get it.
Oh well, some things are not a good deal.
Nice! Glad it worked out for you man. Kind of thought it would.