Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-28-2011, 08:54 PM

Default Is catch and release always a good plan?

Today I was at Wabamun lake fishing from the peer. I caught a 2 pound pike and he swolled that lure whole. It was very hard to get the hook out and was trying not to hurt him. I don't think he will survive but I had to release him. What the purpose of releasing dead fish?
Old 09-28-2011, 08:56 PM

The better question is if you were worried about the fish just cut your line and the hook will fall out in a few days....

So why didn't you just cut your line?

LC
Old 09-28-2011, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercatcher View Post
Today I was at Wabamun lake fishing from the peer. I caught a 2 pound pike and he swolled that lure whole. It was very hard to get the hook out and was trying not to hurt him. I don't think he will survive but I had to release him. What the purpose of releasing dead fish?
so you dont get a ticket but anyways if you cut your line he may have pulled through
good post
Old 09-28-2011, 09:01 PM

what were you using?
Old 09-28-2011, 09:07 PM

Yeah, I will have to do that next time. Just cut the line, good idea. I was using a poper. I should have cut one of the treble hooks off before fishing. The lure had a treble on the bottom and the back.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:08 PM

And he did siwm off so I hope he makes it.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:10 PM
hunter49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
The better question is if you were worried about the fish just cut your line and the hook will fall out in a few days....

LC
very common misconception...
Old 09-28-2011, 09:14 PM
Banned

If you ever get a pike that you can keep, use it to practice gentle lure removal via the gills. We had a pike inhale a huge balsa plug and the fish was undersized and cutting the line would have been like releasing it with a cork at it's throat, so we opted for the out the gills method and she swam off fine. I kinda wish there were really long needle nose snips good enough to cut the hook at the problem, it doesn't happen often but when it does it's disheartening,, if there are could someone post them?
Old 09-28-2011, 09:14 PM

Quote:
What the purpose of releasing dead fish?
It's an attempt to cut down on poaching. Anyone could keep a non-legal fish and claim it was mortally wounded if it was written in the regs that you could keep any fish that you suspect would die.

Sure there would be legit cases such as your own but I can't even imagine how many people would bend (ie break!) the rules as stated above if you could keep any wounded fish.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post

LC
Not to start anything, just curious if the hook actually does fall out. I cant really see that happening. To me it just seems like leaving the hook in there is a death sentence for the fish.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:18 PM

I never heard of the gills method. How do you do that?
Old 09-28-2011, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfishen View Post
Not to start anything, just curious if the hook actually does fall out. I cant really see that happening. To me it just seems like leaving the hook in there is a death sentence for the fish.
I think depending on the hook, how well your barbs were pinched, and very much so the fish, they can come out.

I couldn't get a trebble out of a rainbow with my needlenose the other day and was flustered after trying for nearly a minute, he swallowed it at the back of his mouth. I was reaching for my scissors in my tackle box, when bam, the little bugger started thrashing and popped right out of my net and back into the water, hook laying in my net.

Success story, mind you that was just a little size 3.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
I never heard of the gills method. How do you do that?
Lift the gill plate and access the throat hook from there,, sometimes you can get it out then go back through the mouth,, we only do this with Pike as they are a bit heartier.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:35 PM

getting that sinking feeling
Old 09-28-2011, 09:37 PM

Only reason they don't allow you to keep those fish is that if they did there would be people that would poach by mangling all the fish they caught so as to say they had to keep them.

You can just cut your line and release the fish, I really doubt that the survival rate is that much better then making a slight mess of the fish getting the hook out(unless you have to do severe damage). My opinion is to just pull the hook out as gently as you can, this will injure some fish and mortally injure the odd one but they won't go to waste even if they die, they will just provide an easy meal for other fish or creatures.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:43 PM

Quote:
And he did siwm off so I hope he makes it.
I did the same... Mine had the hook clear up through his eye. I cut off the line and let him go, took him a minute , but he then swam off. I thought of nothing but that poor guy for the rest of the night..
Old 09-28-2011, 09:44 PM

I honestly didnt know what to do... I felt awful
Old 09-28-2011, 09:46 PM

Unfortunately it happens, but I always keep it in the back of my mind that fish is in no way "a waste" it will be consumed by other fish, birds etc. I'm on the fence with the whole cut the line or get the hook out. I'm likely to be flamed for this but if it's one of my good $12 rapalas sorry mr fish.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseknuckle View Post
Unfortunately it happens, but I always keep it in the back of my mind that fish is in no way "a waste" it will be consumed by other fish, birds etc. I'm on the fence with the whole cut the line or get the hook out. I'm likely to be flamed for this but if it's one of my good $12 rapalas sorry mr fish.
i have doubt in this idea of leaving hooks in myself not only the money but no real proof that it will dissolve.

http://www.nesportsman.com/articles/article11.shtml
Old 09-28-2011, 10:18 PM

http://www.vata.com.tw/pviewitem1.as...rea=30&cat=174 i used to have a different brand but i cant seem to find them i could have swore i bought them at canadian tire. These will cut the hook for sure
Old 09-28-2011, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter49 View Post
Well IMHO....I don't use trebles, swap em out for singles and I would rather cut the line in the chance it does rust out than rip it out and willfully harm the fish.....TBH using singles I rarely have this issue.

But to the OP stuff happens....you followed the rules so nothing else you can do....

LC
Old 09-28-2011, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfishen View Post
Rip it out and know they will die...or cut the line and give em a chance? What can you do in a strictly C&R lake? Catch 22.......

LC
Old 09-28-2011, 10:51 PM

What if you leave a hook in a fish and it limps away only to get eaten by another fish which in turn chokes and dies on your hook. Now instead of one dead fish, you have two!
Old 09-28-2011, 11:10 PM

i have a set of reel good wire cutters. probably about 12 inches long. I dont waste my 12 dollar rapala's i just cut the and then replace them. Going in through the gills does work as long as the fish doesnt thrash. it makes it really easy to to cut off hooks or pop the hook off.

I like cutting one hook off a treble it makes releasing fish far easier
Old 09-28-2011, 11:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
agreed

There are some spots on the bow I fish where a considerable percentage of the larger trout have 1 or more nymphs stuck in their face.

For some reason, always nymphs.

Also, many walleye I've caught at PCR have bait hooks or jigs stuck in their face.

I think leaving a hook in a fish, especially if it's been bleeding is a death sentence.

That said, depending on the circumstances it can be a viable alternative. Of course depending on the reg's, there may not be a choice in the matter but to change up your rig so that you get reliable lip/mouth corner hook ups.
Old 09-29-2011, 01:19 AM

I always try to remove the lure, because leaving a lure stuck in a pike's throat seems like a good way to just kill it slowly. That said, sometimes it seems like removing a very deep lure will do more damage than good, and now with barbless hooks the fish may be able to extract the lure itself if the line is cut... a judgement call, no clear answer.

Stick to small hooks and you can cut them out easier if it comes to that. And if the fish are hitting aggressively, maybe remove the back set of hooks from your lure -- sure a few fish might spit your bait, but they will at least be there and in good shape for the next time you fish that spot.
Old 09-29-2011, 01:38 AM

Quote:
x2 exactly, just loose the hook. Stands a better chance than with his gills ripped out. A barbless hook will work itself out quicker than you think.

One other thing to try if it's a huge hook is don't pull it out the front but cut the wire and run it on through the back...sometimes alot easier on the fish either way. Most often the lure will slide right on out unless they swallowed it. Then just cut it.
Old 09-29-2011, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tara_13 View Post
I did the same... Mine had the hook clear up through his eye. I cut off the line and let him go, took him a minute , but he then swam off. I thought of nothing but that poor guy for the rest of the night..
Well my hook would be coming with me on that one. Slide it out.. simple as that!
And cast again!
When your hooked with a barbless hook you'll know how easy they come out! if youv'e ever been hooked with a barb!!!
Old 09-29-2011, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseknuckle View Post
i agree cranks are expensive,,,, and mine are coming out one way or another...................
Old 09-29-2011, 12:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
I once caught a catfish in Ontario that had a link from a galvanized steel stringer in its mouth and through his gills. The fish was in good health and he must have escaped from someone's stringer. The link was in good condition except for one spot where it appeared that it had been eaten through by acid. I feel that eventually it would have rotted right off.

I've also caught seemingly healthy walleye and pike with jigs and hooks (barbed) in their bellies. They had to have been swallowed after they became unhooked from their mouth or throat. Some were dissolving.

I've never had a fish swallow a lure so deep that I couldn't get it out but I have had it happen using live bait and a hook. I just snip the line and let it go. If it happens with an expensive lure I think that I'd just cut the ring between the lure and the hooks and send it on it's way.