Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 10-03-2011, 03:25 PM

Default Fine tuning for fall Lake whites

So I am heading up to Dorey Lake to close up the cabin, and conditions alowing I will be chasing some whitefish, both fly and spinning. I know I am looking for sandy flats, but I litteraly have miles of 4'-6' of sandy flats to fish right out the door, let alone accessable from boat.

So how do I filter down to more productive water.

In one direction I have a huge sand flat 200-400 yards wide by a mile + no weeds to speak of.

In the other the flat is not so wide but I don't know just how long with scaterings of weed patches.
Old 10-03-2011, 03:32 PM

key in your depth in 10 feet or less of water max
sink tip or floating line with long leaders are best
short fast strips works best for boatman
Beadheads work alot better then none beadhead boatmans
when things slow down in early morning and Dusk try using a yellow cronomid under a slip bober.
the warmer the water the faster the whitefish move so a bit past mid day should be your peak point.

If you want bigger whitefish use a big minnow pattern and drag it mid depth with a flutter strip motion and this usaly gets the bigger whites to come up the water colom to feed.

Bring a light rod 4-5wt 9+,9feet plus leaders and 4lb tibbit although i like to use 1lb.
PS:I had lake whites go into my backing on a 8wt rod.
Old 10-03-2011, 04:01 PM

Yes I was thinking the usual flies, and I was also going to dual rig a wooly bugger and a ... whatever to cover my bases. A clouser could work in the dual rig as well.

Bobber, wire worm and maggot was going to be on the spinning gear.
or even a casting bubble and a fly.

They were fun though the ice I can just imagine what it would be like on the 5wt.
Old 10-03-2011, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aulrich View Post
Yes I was thinking the usual flies, and I was also going to dual rig a wooly bugger and a ... whatever to cover my bases. A clouser could work in the dual rig as well.

Bobber, wire worm and maggot was going to be on the spinning gear.
or even a casting bubble and a fly.

They were fun though the ice I can just imagine what it would be like on the 5wt.
whitefish have an intrest for shinny things.
id just stick to one or another for the spin setup the whitefish are theyre too feed on anything that passes by them so theyres no real need for them.
Bring a NET. theyre not huge but you will loose a ton of them from the side of your boat. light line,soft mouths,light hooks,heavey fish is not a good combo for landing them. they also have a tendancy to go under the boat or to the weedline so keep control of that. theyll only jump out of the water in mid-day if you get a lucky one.