Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-26-2008, 01:36 PM

Default What is the strangest thing you have caught?

Was out fishing the other day with a bud who is just getting into the sport. Suddenly he shouts from down stream, "I got one! FISH ON!" With a tone in his voice that he has been wanting to shout those words for a while. He dragged this beast in from a good way out. I am watching him bring it in and all I can do is smile This is his first catch.

What have you pulled out?
Old 05-26-2008, 01:40 PM

I caught two rainbows at once on a pickerel rig once. That was the strangest thing.
Old 05-26-2008, 01:57 PM

i caught a BBQ grill last weekend in the nsr! Boy what a fight that was!
Old 05-26-2008, 02:05 PM

I once caught a 3 lb rainbow on the top hook of a pickeral rig and a squaw fish on the bottom hook. Boy did I think I had a big fish on the fight......it was pulling in two different directions at once!!
Old 05-26-2008, 02:28 PM

Default turtle

fishing for perch in SE saskatchewan ( Estevan area) in 2000, and had a turtle take a good run with my ultralite!
Old 05-26-2008, 02:54 PM

Fishing at Coal last weekend caught a package of rotten , half eatten bag of smelts I had to cut my line and toss the whole thing in the Garbage the thing reaked.
Old 05-26-2008, 03:09 PM

caught a fish duck that dove for my cutplug herring in campbell river. that was strange, even saw it dive for the bait
Old 05-26-2008, 03:22 PM

Out at camp couple of years ago had a seagull go after my floating Rapala. Took a lot of screaming and yanking to get it to take off before it finally did.
Old 05-26-2008, 03:31 PM

Caught a beaver in 87 on the Bow.Never dreamed that I would've landed it but I did! Took 3 of us to corral it and unhook it,talk about 40 pounds of ticked off rodent.
Old 05-26-2008, 03:37 PM

Default !

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueNorther View Post
Caught a beaver in 87 on the Bow.Never dreamed that I would've landed it but I did! Took 3 of us to corral it and unhook it,talk about 40 pounds of ticked off rodent.
That's a good one! Good to hear you got it and unhooked it. Most would have just cut the line, they have some big brown chompers!
Old 05-26-2008, 04:04 PM
troller

Caught a seagull doing some surf fishing in Florida....but not with the hook. Had my line out and was sitting back watching it and I see a seagull come flying in low. I figure "he'll miss the line"..nope. Wrapped around his wing twice and I took one heck of a beating trying to get it unwound LOL
Old 05-26-2008, 04:07 PM

I have caught a bat while fly fishing.... on the backcast!.... he must have thought it was a real bug!....

I have hooked a beaver a couple of times.....never landed one thoug... hard to do with a 5 weight!....

Muskrat....many times.....(all accidental of course!)

Duck (Tasty... it was in season!) flyline wrapped around it!...

A seagull... i cast and it fly into my line and wrapped around its wing!.... As my dad was trying to unwind it .....it was crapping into the top of hos rubber boot..... funnier than heck!....when he noticed it after the bird was free!....

Another one was a garter snake in the bow on a hopper..... my buddy is snakeaphobic so I swung it over to him and dropped it in his lap and watched him come unglued!... It was like a cartoon he was running on air!....
Old 05-26-2008, 04:08 PM

I was ice fishing on Hasse January, caught a ice fishing rod.as i pulled it out of the hole, and showing off to my friends, the line on the new found rod started tugging,,,pulled up the line and a nice 2lb rainbow was on!
Old 05-26-2008, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fisherman Guy View Post
That's a good one! Good to hear you got it and unhooked it. Most would have just cut the line, they have some big brown chompers!
I threw my jacket over it and my pard jumped on it,a fellow angler came to our assistance too.After the dust cleared and all the hissing and swearing stopped I was able to pull the streamer out,barbless hook thank goodness,that beaver looked at us for a few seconds and then hit the river at high speed,never knew they could move that fast.
Old 05-26-2008, 04:51 PM

A couple of the strangest fish my wife and I ever caught were California Lizard Fish and Blue Bobo.........on fly rods !
Old 05-26-2008, 05:26 PM

I caught a Goose on the back cast while on the Bow, It took a couple of nips out of me and a few wing slaps for good measure before I got it off. Sure glad it wasn't a full grown adult.

My father nailed a pigeon while casting his line out ( below Glenmore Dam ) and the pigeon took off over the top of the dam just as a 5 ton was driving by. I've never heard a reels tension scream like that and it cooked my dads cheap Shakespeare.

Dodger.
Old 05-26-2008, 05:32 PM
Banned

A pair of fruit of the loom briefs.I'm just gald there wasn't a person in them..
Old 05-26-2008, 05:36 PM
KyleM

Where to start....

My buddies ear.

Shopping cart.

Best story of all.....

Fishing the Ottawa river for Muskies...was throwing a floating 12 inch Polish pike at dusk. Whipped it close into shore and I guess a rat had fallen into the water off a hanging log. Well the poor thing swam out to my lure thinking he could float on it (this lure is massive) and as soon as he got on my lure......SMASH. I ended up landing a 53" fish, it was a personal best at the time.

We have found some Muskies on shore in the spring that are dead (50-58 inches) with muskrats, seaguls, and ducks in their bellies.
Old 05-26-2008, 05:54 PM

i've caught a fishing rod. a 9.9 horse out board moter gave it back to the guy who lost it. a grebe still have the scar were it bit me. and a 285 pound sucker every time i hook myself fishing which happens more that you think.
Old 05-26-2008, 05:58 PM

i seen a guy catch a Bicycle in a river once had a good laugh
Old 05-26-2008, 06:34 PM

Caught a Ancor in Buck lake last year and a Sweater in Pine lol
Old 05-26-2008, 06:59 PM

I caught a rod and reel one time trolling at Long Lake

Fan Belts, Mud Flaps etc in the NSR

My lil bro once caught a dead cat out of the pristine waters of barrier lake...
Old 05-26-2008, 08:10 PM

I caught a weasel in Sask. I was fishing from shore at a river and I had one attack me. I don't know if attack is the right word or not but it was making a weird noise almost like a bark and it kept jumping at my feet. I got up to leave and it went to chase me away. I was a kid at the time and it freaked me out so I slapped at it with my rod and the good old 5 of diamonds got him.
Old 05-26-2008, 08:36 PM
troller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowtown guy View Post
I caught a weasel in Sask. I was fishing from shore at a river and I had one attack me. I don't know if attack is the right word or not but it was making a weird noise almost like a bark and it kept jumping at my feet. I got up to leave and it went to chase me away. I was a kid at the time and it freaked me out so I slapped at it with my rod and the good old 5 of diamonds got him.
Old 05-26-2008, 10:02 PM

if anyone catches 2 anchors by strawberry creek at slave lake there mine....lost them may long to an 8' roage wave....

Last edited by bearbait; 05-26-2008 at 11:10 PM.
Old 05-26-2008, 10:18 PM

Default This is true...I can prove it

Many years ago the bro and I were fishing with our mom at Hasse, we hooked into some med weight sinking flyline and dragged it into the boat, ended up with not a bad flyrod and reel on one end and a nearly dead 3ish lbs rainbow on the other...we kept both.

Salmon fishing a few years ago I had a salmon grabbed by a seal, ended up hooking the seal but he was no match for the 20# test we were using. Lost the hookup including the flasher so the entire event cost about $20. Not too sure what we'd have done if we got him to the boat...

Helped a fella jig for a 9.8hp merc engine his nephew dropped off the back of a boat on Sproat Lake near Port Alberni around 1981, he ended up hooking it and retrieved it. I think he'd a stuffed his smart-alec nephew to the bottom of the lake if he was unable to hook the engine.

About 30 yrs ago had a scouting friend hook himself in the head trying to mimic our fly casting efforts with his spinning rod, drove 2 barbs of a treble hook into his noggin...barbed hooks are tough to pull out. Boy Scout motto is "Be Prepared"...not too sure how you prepare for something like this.

All of this is true...Mr Drewski Canuck can attest to it.

Zeke
Old 05-26-2008, 10:40 PM

Got me a anchor last year at Travers res, great deal the one i had would not hold the boat alone so we used the 2 of them, went out last weekend ( in the ****ing rain ! ) and it must of been home sick, left it there at the bottom with its new friend lol

If ya catch them and want to return it just toss it back in the lake, it lives there
Old 05-27-2008, 12:08 AM

No boots yet!?!? I have caught shoes, an old wallet - with money!, and a dog collar.
Old 05-27-2008, 12:29 AM

Fishing for Mackerel off a pier in Pictou Nova Scotia. Was casting a silver minnow looking lure. Nice long overhead cast and watched a seagull come in after it in mid-air, "No way, no way,,,,Holy S**T he caught it" was what my friend said as he watched this comedy. Seagull crashes to the water with my lure in his mouth and three times tries to bugger off with his "fish", seemed to have a hard time figuring out why his dinner could only go so far from the water. Eventually he dropped in and took off, but by then I had about 20 - 30 people watching and laughing.
Old 05-27-2008, 05:55 AM

Fishing the Baja in the early '90s, I hooked a pelican!
Cat