Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-29-2007, 11:22 PM
Peach near lethbridge

Default Peach near lethbridge

any good peach fishing closer then sherburne looking for something under the half hour mark

thx for the info
Old 01-30-2007, 01:07 AM
RyanGSP

J I will be hitting horsefly tomorrow. It is 5 min South of Taber. Wont be going out till 3 though. Otherwise hit Stafford.
Old 01-30-2007, 07:14 PM
Horse Fly

Default Horse Fly

Hey ryan is there really perch in horse fly,if so where is the best place to fish them.
Old 01-31-2007, 12:13 AM
RyanGSP

Default Re: Horse Fly

I have always catched them across the lake from the big red barn on the west side.
Old 01-31-2007, 07:20 PM
nafegavas

Default Re: Peach near Lethbridge.

Never caught no peach out that way.:lol
Old 01-31-2007, 08:23 PM
RyanGSP

Default Re: Peach near Lethbridge.

Really because I put 2 on the ice on monday.
Old 01-31-2007, 11:51 PM
perch

Default perch

ryan so your saying on the south side of the lake east of the pump house,just curious because ive never seen or heard of perch in that lake.
Old 02-01-2007, 01:08 AM
RyanGSP

Default Re: perch

No west side of the lake south of the pump house.

I have also heard about them in Fincastle but never actually seen any pulled out of there.
Old 02-01-2007, 04:01 PM
jrs

Default perch

The only perch i've seen out of those lakes came out of pike bellies. Nice to hear someone caught a few. I see tons in Park lake but have never seen one over 5'' landed. There always by the boat launch in the summer in huge schools.
Old 02-02-2007, 01:58 PM
staytuned

Perch??? Fincastle, Park Lake, Nicholas Sheran, & Henderson are good ones. Try those. Big perch too, if you can find 'em.
Old 02-02-2007, 05:22 PM
jrs

Default Perch

Are you sure theres pech in Nicholas Sheran? I've never even heard that rumor. Big browns and brookies and a few okay pike but no perch i know of. And the henderson perch population in collapsed according to several sources. Used to be good but high numbers of pike thinned them down to almost nothing. Great pike fishing though. Where have you had luck at these locations otherwise?
Old 02-03-2007, 12:07 AM
Rackmastr

Default Re: Perch

JRS,
I used to live 2 blocks from Nicholas Sheran and about 15 years ago there was perch in there...caught them when I was a little bugger under the bridges..

Lots of pike and trout as well.....but thats obvious.
Old 02-03-2007, 12:14 AM
jrs

Neat to know. I wonder if the pike have thinned them down. I spent a bit of time playing with my flyrod there in the spring (can't beat 18'' brookies) and never even saw little ones in the shallows. Literally hundreds of tiny little pike though. Have you had luck at park lake? Like i mentioned, i've only seen very tiny perch along the docks (caught a couple on my flyrod about 4'' long). Never had luck ice fishing for them there, pike can be productive late winter but i haven't caught a good perch there even with good effort.
Old 02-04-2007, 07:39 PM
staytuned

I know most guys will disagree, but its been my experience that the truly biggest perch come out of the lakes w/the smallest perch population. AKA, those lakes mentioned before. Best way to find perch, go ice fish for them. If they are there, they usually will bite or show themselves on the camera. I have pictures of big perch from 3 of the 4 of those lakes at home on the wall. If I ever get a scanner, I'll upload 'em for ya.
Old 02-04-2007, 08:03 PM
RyanGSP

I have heard henderson went through a die off a year or 2 ago so nothing too big in there.
Old 02-04-2007, 10:11 PM
jrs

Yeah, henderson winterkills every 4-5 years at least part way. Its filled to the breaches with pike though. Biggest i've ever heard of went 20lbs and was caught spring 06.
Old 02-05-2007, 04:51 PM
Moults

Default Perch

Nick Sheran does in fact have perch. Though I've never caught one from there, I've seen them while ice fishin inside a shack. That said, there weren't too many, and the ones I saw were no more than 6 inches. They showed interest in maggots, but couldn't persuade them the take em. With the abundance of pike too, they're pretty high strung.
Old 02-05-2007, 06:35 PM
RyanGSP

What depth do you find perch to be.

I generally fish the edge of weed beds and dont pay attention to depth. But I dont limit out of perch either.
Old 02-05-2007, 06:43 PM
staytuned

Perch are where you find them. The flatter, the better, not usually around anything steep. Most of the time I have to fish a tough perch lake quite a few times until I find some or accidentally catch one. Then I try to stay near that area.
Old 02-05-2007, 09:24 PM
RyanGSP

I have been told to look for a flat open place between 5 and 50 feet of water but dont really know how true it is.
Old 02-06-2007, 10:07 PM
Rackmastr

I always find my perch right at the bottom of a big drop off, in some of the deepest parts of the lake....but I never seem to find them on the flats...I find them right at the corner of the dropoff.......
Old 02-07-2007, 08:06 PM
Perch

Default Perch

All this perch talk, anybody been to shureburn latley, thinking of mabe going sunday just wondering if they are still hammering.
Old 02-07-2007, 08:43 PM
RyanGSP

I was planning on headin that way on sunday as well.
Old 02-07-2007, 10:08 PM
jrs

I may end up out there as well. I never have had good luck but its a decision between there, Littlebow, or some trouty lake. I kind of feel like a perch feed.
Old 02-07-2007, 10:12 PM
RyanGSP

jrs I will be heading to payne next week if you want to go. Your welcome to join me at sherburne as well but like I said I am going on sunday. I have a gun show to go to on saturday :b
Old 02-07-2007, 11:46 PM
Perch

Default Perch

Hey ryan and jrs where are you guys from Must be Taber or Leth, Just wondering and also how come my name says unresisted user where do i become a registerd user.
Old 02-08-2007, 09:40 AM
RyanGSP

I am in taber and jrs is in Coaldale.
Old 02-08-2007, 10:00 AM
jrs

Default Booner

Hey booner, you have to look around for the register link. Create an account and your ready to go.
RyanGSP, i forgot about that gun show, i may run out Saturday but better e careful as i've bought enough toys this year already. I'll plan to get out to sherburn Sunday, we'll see how the weather is. I'll let you know what truck i have if i go and maybe you can stop by for a chat. I have set up over by the boat launch (aways out) in the past but never had much luck. Its always been cold and windy when i made it out. We'll see. Otherwise i found a coyote concentration last weekend i may have to check out. So many choices eh
Old 02-10-2007, 10:05 PM
jrs

Default Re: Booner

Hey Guys,

I'll be out at Sherburn Tommorrow, probably fish along the boat launch. I got the ungly green ice shanty and they'll be two or three of us if you want to drop by. I never catch much there but i'm hoping to change that tommorrow. Otherwise i'll hopefully have a good report.
Old 02-10-2007, 11:16 PM
RyanGSP

Default Re: Booner

jrs we are heading to indian hill (mcquillam) if you want to come there :b