Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-12-2021, 10:34 AM

Default Are boats still being checked at the borders

Folks,

Seems like the TV ads are gone. Are the boat inspection stations gone too?

Don
Old 09-12-2021, 10:40 AM

Just got home from BC and there was a check on hwy 16 BC side of the border
Old 09-12-2021, 11:33 AM

I came back from Saskatchewan last week and the check station west of Lloydminster was open.
Old 09-12-2021, 01:16 PM

In BC there were checks close to Fernie and also at Yahk but the Alberta one near the pass was closed when we went through.
Old 09-12-2021, 04:46 PM

With the US border being closed southbound, YES we have a boat check at Coutts and with very few Americans coming to Canukistan due to covid checks, but YES we have a boat inspection open northbound too........ Makes a lotta sense............................. ?????
Old 09-12-2021, 04:52 PM

Gotta spend their budgets even if there's nobody to check ! If you don't spend your budget allotment, it might get cut for next year!
Old 09-12-2021, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddleup View Post
With the US border being closed southbound, YES we have a boat check at Coutts and with very few Americans coming to Canukistan due to covid checks, but YES we have a boat inspection open northbound too........ Makes a lotta sense............................. ?????
Isn’t there several lakes zebra infested in northern Montana?

Don
Old 09-12-2021, 06:58 PM

always on the bottom of the hill going into Golden ... I've seen them chase after someone who didn't stop ... last summer...
Old 09-12-2021, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Andersen View Post
Isn’t there several lakes zebra infested in northern Montana?

Don
Well yes and no. Tiber Reservoir tested positive for zebra/quagga muscle veliger's in 2017 IIR. The same year Canyon Ferry tested positive. Since then, they have found nothing else in Canyon Ferry despite a major increase in testing. Tiber I believe is still has restrictions but I believe they have been removed from Canyon Ferry.
Old 09-13-2021, 08:28 AM

On the Alberta side, the one before Hinton when returning to AB has been closed this year and last year. Sounds like they were checking on the BC side though from the others on this post.
Old 09-13-2021, 04:46 PM

Drove HWY 1 from Calgary to Golden, and went through the regular inspection in Golden at the Visitors Centre a week ago. Returned to Calgary yesterday, and didn't see the boat inspection station on the Alberta side.
Old 09-13-2021, 06:10 PM

Came into GP from FSJ yesterday. No checks.
Old 09-13-2021, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
Gotta spend their budgets even if there's nobody to check ! If you don't spend your budget allotment, it might get cut for next year!
Actually Thumper, provincial funding cutbacks to AB's Aquatic Invasive Species Program occurred a couple years ago which meant the closure of the watercraft inspection stations along the AB/BC border. BC still inspects watercraft coming into their Province from AB (and the U.S.) as most mussel-fouled watercraft come from Ontario and Manitoba. However, the lack of AB watercraft inspection stations along the BC border doesn't help AENV prevent the importation of invasive plants like Eurasian Milfoil that grows in many Okanagan lakes! And you'd be surprised how many Albertan's inadvertently bring in these aquatic plants back to AB on return from vacation in BC.

Provincial funding only allows for hiring enough seasonal staff to cover major locations along the AB/US border and the number of these locations have been reduced during COVID border closures. Hence most resourcing goes to inspecting watercraft entering our province from Sask. The rest of the funding goes to paying for analysis of lake water samples for larval invasive mussels and deployment of trained sniffer dogs to some lakes where sampling does not occur. That's how the funding gets spent!!

FYI AENV had intercepted approximately 30 mussel-fouled last year and 18 fouled boats this season already. Mussel-fouled boats start entering the province in late winter with the return of snowbirds returning from the U.S. Many other boats come from eastern Canada through inter-provincial purchases (not traveling anglers) and these can happen anytime of the year.
Thankfully, we have arrangements and open lines of reporting with Montana, Idaho, and other U.S. States and with BC and Sask so we often know when and where mussel-fouled boats enter our province.
Old 09-14-2021, 08:47 AM

I guess after Chronic Wasting, Prussian Carp, Whirling Disease and on and on we still haven’t learned.
Are we just slow or stupid?

Don
Old 09-14-2021, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Andersen View Post
I guess after Chronic Wasting, Prussian Carp, Whirling Disease and on and on we still haven’t learned.
Are we just slow or stupid?

Don
Haha Don, I won't answer that question.

You can also add Chinese Mystery Snail to the list: https://albertaep.wordpress.com/2020...pe-shell-case/
Old 09-14-2021, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fisherman Guy View Post
Drove HWY 1 from Calgary to Golden, and went through the regular inspection in Golden at the Visitors Centre a week ago. Returned to Calgary yesterday, and didn't see the boat inspection station on the Alberta side.
Yup, exactly what I saw - Golden ..... at bottom of hill on right when you just get into town and NOTHING coming back into Alberta .... except a "closed" sign on inspection station
Old 09-15-2021, 08:13 AM

The one at the Weigh scales between Irvine and Dunmore is open. I had to stop and have the canoe checked yesterday.
Old 09-15-2021, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronbill View Post
Haha Don, I won't answer that question.

You can also add Chinese Mystery Snail to the list: https://albertaep.wordpress.com/2020...pe-shell-case/
Ah ****, just when I thought it couldn’t get worse.

Don
Old 09-16-2021, 08:12 AM

the check station at cherry grove was gone on monday when i went through.
Old 09-17-2021, 08:34 AM
Banned

Default Not Alberta but...

...an Alberta bound boat purchased in Manitoba was stopped in Saskatchewan near Moosamin on August 30 and impounded for the zebra mussel collection on the leg and prop. The driver is facing a $5000.00 fine according to Global news.

Free
Old 09-17-2021, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom55 View Post
...an Alberta bound boat purchased in Manitoba was stopped in Saskatchewan near Moosamin on August 30 and impounded for the zebra mussel collection on the leg and prop. The driver is facing a $5000.00 fine according to Global news.

Free
I'd be curious to see if they actually levy fines here ..... that would be a unfortunate event for the purchaser of a boat .....

I could see this as a more likely scenario (to fine an owner) if he/she was irresponsibly going back and forth with the invasive zebra mussels and not respecting his obligation ...... but man that would suck if this wasn't something you did and didn't notice it on a brand new boat you just purchased.

That sucks