Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-29-2011, 07:41 PM

Post Pine Coulee Reservoir

hey whats up anglers.
Im planing to go to pine coulee reservoir near stavely but just one problem...
I don't know where it is!? anyhelp would be nice.

And one more thing what are you guys catching them on?

Thanks
Old 07-29-2011, 07:44 PM

they'll take almost anything but your best bet is a jig head with a smelt or minnow....and to get there just head south on hwy 2 until you see Stavely...instead of turning left into Stavely turn right on the 527 and the Lake is about 6km west of there...
Old 07-29-2011, 08:04 PM

Thank-you baitfisher for the tips and the directions.
Old 07-29-2011, 08:14 PM

Jig head is okay, but I've never liked to use a jigs as a personal preference. Assuming that you are fishing for walleyes near the bottom, try a drop-shotting rig, but with a 1/2oz weight. It's used a lot for bass fishing but I love it for fishing with live bait on the bottom.
It's basically a heavy weight on the bottom, a Palomar knot on an circle hook around 12 inches above the weight, all on 10lb fluorocarbon line. With this setup, the heavy weight will stay on the bottom, while you lift your fishing rod tip until there is a noticeable tension, but the weight is still on the bottom. This way, if the fish even breathes on the bait, you'll feel it like a tight guitar string. Also works if you cast far out, and SLOWLY drag your weight across the bottom.
Old 07-29-2011, 10:18 PM

okay thanks for the tip there araret i'll have to try it!
Old 07-29-2011, 11:42 PM

Ive never fished there before but i highly recomeend not taking a Big Mac and a Coke for eats.
Old 07-29-2011, 11:49 PM

I dont wan't to sound like a ***** or anything, but place like PCR I wouldnt talk about too much. Yes that place is awesome for fishing, especially for kids. But why ask everyone and show this thread to 10000 other AO users? Keep it secret. There were hundreds of posts about it before, but why would you want to share that spot with thousands of people. keep it to yourself and the friends you trust
Old 07-29-2011, 11:52 PM

If you are unsure of directions, I would think that any of the staff in the fishing stores would be glad to help you out.
Old 07-30-2011, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokanee9 View Post
If you are unsure of directions, I would think that any of the staff in the fishing stores would be glad to help you out.
why would it just be fishing store staff that would give people directions? Couldnt decent fellow fisherman give directions? Whats that even supposed to mean?

Anyways, in the past i have had pretty good success with leeches, both live and synthetic. But apparently they will eat pretty much anything you throw at them in there. Too many fish and not enough food... so they are starving.
Old 07-30-2011, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stc77 View Post
why would it just be fishing store staff that would give people directions? Couldnt decent fellow fisherman give directions? Whats that even supposed to mean?

Anyways, in the past i have had pretty good success with leeches, both live and synthetic. But apparently they will eat pretty much anything you throw at them in there. Too many fish and not enough food... so they are starving.
X2
Old 07-30-2011, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stc77 View Post

When you go into the store to buy your live or synthetic leeches ask the staff for directions. Not too sure what is hard to understand about that. Any staff should be more than happy to give out directions to wherever a customer asks, don't you think?
Old 07-30-2011, 12:45 AM

My relatives were there last week said couldnt keep the walleye off 100 fish a day. Will have to go give it a try.
Old 07-30-2011, 12:45 AM

Quote:
When you go into the store to buy your live or synthetic leeches ask the staff for directions. Not too sure what is hard to understand about that. Any staff should be more than happy to give out directions to wherever a customer asks, don't you think?
Not to someone who is too smart
Old 07-30-2011, 12:48 AM

Quote:
I have been bullsh*tted at before. the guys obviously knew the place but didnt want to give me any information
Old 07-30-2011, 12:50 AM

Quote:
well yea that goes without saying. But why even bring that up? this guy is on the forum asking for directions... he never even mentioned going to a store. If he wanted directions from some store... don't you think he would just go there and ask? I would think so. But obviously he's not going to a store so he is asking fellow fishermen. I understand that people can ask staff for directions or what to use or whatever, what i dont understand is why you would point your reply to his simple question that way. Why couldn't you have just offered some simple advice? Unless of course you are a staff member of some store and you are wanting him to come in and talk to you... in that case i suppose i could understand... either way... it's just strange that you would reply that way.
Old 07-30-2011, 01:17 AM

If you 2 would read the original post, the other question was what are people catching fish on.

It's not hard to figure out that the poster would eventually be into a store to pick up some hooks. I don't fish there, so how would I offer advice.

Now it's fairly well known that one of you works in a store and not hard to figure out that the other one probably does also. So if you have a problem giving people directions, I'm not sure what to say on that. Isn't that part of customer service?
Old 07-30-2011, 01:45 AM

Quote:
If you 2 would read the original post, the other question was what are people catching fish on.

It's not hard to figure out that the poster would eventually be into a store to pick up some hooks. I don't fish there, so how would I offer advice.

Now it's fairly well known that one of you works in a store and not hard to figure out that the other one probably does also. So if you have a problem giving people directions, I'm not sure what to say on that. Isn't that part of customer service?
Exactly, you dont fish there... so why even comment on it? Seems like you were purposely trying to just stir something up. And you are wrong I dont work in a store. I work at a reputable car dealership in town... not gonna say which one because it really doesn't matter... but either way yes customer service is important regardless of place of work... there are just some customers/clients that are easier/ better to work with and help out. Others are just arrogant know it alls that don't always deserve to receive the good service that could be given to someone that would actually appreciate it.

Now not sure why you have this vendetta against pike n walleye... anytime I see either of you commenting on same threads, you try to stir stuff up. Whatever happened between you two is none of my business... but seriously man... its getting old. Grow up and just let it go. It's just stupid. No idea how old you are, but come on... its getting to be quite childish. Let him do his thing and you go do yours. It's stupid.

Sorry for detailing the thread. Hope you have some good times fishing.
Old 07-30-2011, 01:50 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pike'n'walleye View Post
I have been bullsh*tted at before. the guys obviously knew the place but didnt want to give me any information
Hi do like i just did use the search fuction on here.. just search Pine coolie this is from a post from a member on here,
I checked out,..http://www.milebymile.com/main/Canad...el_guides.html
seems not to far,. from Hw 2 where it turns to go to lethbridgen n to Stavely, Alberta.

then follow the directions on my tag line L)) all, in all, less that 90 mins and your fishing off the dock'
bring a folding chair, 1/8 to 1/4 jig heads (white, pink, fl. green, black. Berkley Gulp (shad)?.. frozen minnows, but best is smelts,.. cut into .1/4 in pieces, cast out like from straint over the edge to 30 feet out (and everything in-between) and let bait sink to bottom, tighten line,... lift rod (jigging) and reel 3-5 turns let jig fall again, rinse n repeat. and in no time at all you on to 'eyes..

Walleyes at PCR are 'stunted' as there are no forage fish in Pine Coulee Reservoir , there are walleye up to '’20, ..pike up to 10++ lbs, and ling cod ( Burbot)!
Yes is a good dock, and pinkin tables it a nice areas 30 feet from dock. park on North side of Boat unloading area or where ya can L))

End QUOTE
i could have posted other too,.. but just let your fingers do the walking ( thru the search fuction)
Have a good one
VV
Old 07-30-2011, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan Vigilante View Post
Hi do like i just did use the search fuction on here.. just search Pine coolie this is from a post from a member on here,
I checked out,..http://www.milebymile.com/main/Canad...el_guides.html
seems not to far,. from Hw 2 where it turns to go to lethbridgen n to Stavely, Alberta.

then follow the directions on my tag line L)) all, in all, less that 90 mins and your fishing off the dock'
bring a folding chair, 1/8 to 1/4 jig heads (white, pink, fl. green, black. Berkley Gulp (shad)?.. frozen minnows, but best is smelts,.. cut into .1/4 in pieces, cast out like from straint over the edge to 30 feet out (and everything in-between) and let bait sink to bottom, tighten line,... lift rod (jigging) and reel 3-5 turns let jig fall again, rinse n repeat. and in no time at all you on to 'eyes..

Walleyes at PCR are 'stunted' as there are no forage fish in Pine Coulee Reservoir , there are walleye up to '’20, ..pike up to 10++ lbs, and ling cod ( Burbot)!
Yes is a good dock, and pinkin tables it a nice areas 30 feet from dock. park on North side of Boat unloading area or where ya can L))

End QUOTE
i could have posted other too,.. but just let your fingers do the walking ( thru the search fuction)
Have a good one
VV
Hmmmmmmm,directions to PCR...........sounds familiar! Do you get there in "your"..........wait for it................wait for it...................VAN!!!
Old 07-30-2011, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Hunter Okotoks View Post
Hmmmmmmm,directions to PCR...........sounds familiar! Do you get there in "your"..........wait for it................wait for it...................VAN!!!
yeah and he steals other fisherman's pictures from the day too and calls them his own.
Old 07-30-2011, 07:22 AM

Quote:

Working at a fishing store? As the discussion goes on, Kokanee9 is making less and less sense
Old 07-30-2011, 09:18 AM

Was at PIne Coulee yeaterday July 29. South on 2, turn west at Stavely, (cowboy sign) and follow the signs. As far as keeping it quiet, last weekend there was over2 km.'s of boatsand trailersparked all around on the roads etc. so it seems to be fairly well known. 40 minute wait to launch or pull out!!
It was sort of fun to watch the fellow trying to launch with the rear tie downs still on!!!

You are righth it's a fantastic fishery for kids, newbys and someone like my self that wants to have non stop action for an hour or two. It's great for catching, which is a nice change now and again from fishing and no action.

Try 14' FOW on a shelf, it seems you must have bait on to catch at the 1 a minute rate. We use small frozen minnows on a 3/16 oz. yellow feather jig.
Daughter and i had 12 doubles in 1.5 hours.
Old 07-31-2011, 02:01 AM

Smile Directions to Pine Coulee Reservoir

Directions to Pine Coulee Reservoir
I see at the lake F&W are now calling it Pine Coulee Lake.

Go south on Highway 2. It is approximately 114 kms from Calgary to the Stavely turn off on highway 527. This is just south of Nanton. Once you come to Highway 527 turn right onto 527. Follow the road for 6km west and 4kms south on 527. Then follow the boat launch sign, drive 1km east on Township Road 140. The Pine Coulee boat launch is about 1km east on Township Road 140.

There is a parking area just a hundred yards up from the dock.

Use any color jig head that is about 3/8 oz. Pinch or file off your barb. Use any color plastic jig body. Tip with a half a small smelt. Drop it down to the bottom. Reel up about 6 inches to a foot. Wait for it. Then set the hook on any movement of your rod tip. It's just that easy.

I was there last weekend. Lots of people. But a very civil crowd. I had 2 handicapped guys that I had taken out fishing for the day. One guy kept on reeling in even though I said not too. The other was pretty good. I had volunteered to take them both fishing and they had a blast out there. One of the guys tangled his line so bad I had to just cut 20 yards off with my knife. Between the 2 of them they caught 18 fish in about 2 hours. Then we packed up our gear and moved off the dock to give the spot to a few others.

Rob
Old 07-31-2011, 02:24 AM

Default minnows allowed there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfisher View Post
Directions to Pine Coulee Reservoir
I see at the lake F&W are now calling it Pine Coulee Lake.

Go south on Highway 2. It is approximately 114 kms from Calgary to the Stavely turn off on highway 527. This is just south of Nanton. Once you come to Highway 527 turn right onto 527. Follow the road for 6km west and 4kms south on 527. Then follow the boat launch sign, drive 1km east on Township Road 140. The Pine Coulee boat launch is about 1km east on Township Road 140.

There is a parking area just a hundred yards up from the dock.

Use any color jig head that is about 3/8 oz. Pinch or file off your barb. Use any color plastic jig body. Tip with a half a small smelt. Drop it down to the bottom. Reel up about 6 inches to a foot. Wait for it. Then set the hook on any movement of your rod tip. It's just that easy.

I was there last weekend. Lots of people. But a very civil crowd. I had 2 handicapped guys that I had taken out fishing for the day. One guy kept on reeling in even though I said not too. The other was pretty good. I had volunteered to take them both fishing and they had a blast out there. One of the guys tangled his line so bad I had to just cut 20 yards off with my knife. Between the 2 of them they caught 18 fish in about 2 hours. Then we packed up our gear and moved off the dock to give the spot to a few others.

Rob
I didnt think you could use minnows in there just smelts? Will have to check the regs
Old 07-31-2011, 06:42 AM

Default Changed regs

Check your regs as they changed them this year at PCR.
Old 07-31-2011, 08:59 AM

what changed?????
Old 07-31-2011, 09:10 AM

Pine Coulee Reservoir
*Walleye limit 0; Pike limit 3(no size limit); bait allowed
*May 20 to Nov 30- open only between sunrise and sunset each day.
*Dec 1 to Mar 31- open 24 hrs a day
*Apr 1 to May 19- Closed

Only change I see is that it's not open after dark anymore.....no mention of minnows not being allowed
Old 07-31-2011, 09:19 AM

that was last year too baitfisher.........no after dark........but on the ice ok
Old 07-31-2011, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrydude View Post
that was last year too baitfisher.........no after dark........but on the ice ok
yeah I didn't do much fishing out there at night last year so I didn't look..lol
Old 07-31-2011, 10:11 AM

Default Bait Allowed

That is your answer. It used to not be allowed to use them and that is the other change besides the time.