Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-08-2013, 10:21 PM

Default Waiu Lake boat access

I have reviewed the other postings on this lake and I know how protective people all about the location. That said, my buddy and I tried to fish this lake in February but were unable to access the lake at that time (snow got the truck stuck and we were without skidoos).

I want to try one day this summer getting my 12 foot aluminum on the lake. I can load the boat on top of my truck and just drive in with my engine and rods. Can anyone tell me if there is a road that might be passable with a 4 X 4 such that I can drop the boat in and go?

Finally, I understand if you want to keep your secret a secret, but please don't respond to me telling me that it can't be done just to keep me from fishing it. If you don't want me to go to the lake, please either do not respond or respond asking me not to fish it. I'm just looking for correct information. A PM is fine if you don't want to post things publicly.

Thanks all!
Old 07-09-2013, 05:45 AM

One word should tell all. Muskeg!

I don't think you will get a truck in there in the summer. Maybe an argo or a Quad with a good winch.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:39 AM

I've never fished it in summer or winter for that matter, same as you I have heard lots of reports...and the last few reports on it is that it winterkilled.

Take it anyway you want but these reports came from guys that are NOT so protective. Either way good luck !!!
Old 07-09-2013, 09:31 AM

I would guess an argo would be needed (tracked argo at that) especially with all the rain this year!!!
Old 07-12-2013, 11:59 AM

Looks like the mystery lake will remain a mystery. Thanks for the insight anyway guys. I figured the rain would have made things impassable.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:35 PM

And it winterkilled too.
Old 07-12-2013, 07:53 PM

You can get in off a creek from highway 881. Did it a couple years back. Went in with a 14' aluminum. Couple little beaver dams to cross but the water is probably high enough this year you won't have to worry about them. It might be getting a bit late to go, we went early June and the lily pads were bad. We had to keep lifting the motor and cleaning the prop off.