Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
From the regs:

Fishing with Bait Fish

Bait Fish means any of the following:

suckers (family Catostomidae)
sticklebacks (family Gasterosteidae)
trout-perch (Percopsis omiscomaycus)
Iowa darter (Etheostoma exile)
minnows (family Cyprinidae), except carp, goldfish and the western silvery minnow.

Note: Pet store fish (tropical fish) or crayfish cannot be used as bait fish.
I interpret this to mean Carp is not a "bait fish" since its listed as an exception.
Old 03-14-2016, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhutter View Post
Sorry, I couldn't tell you. I've never seen any in there, other than half digested in a trout's stomach. I have heard of quite a few people catching them while targeting trout, though.

Blood is quite a bit bigger than DeWitts, so my relatively uneducated guess would be Blood. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable chimes in.
Like a school of perch you can clearly make out the school of carp at Blood Indian. on your sonar. I have marked them several times but have yet to target them. I think this year once ice is off I will spend a little time hunting them down and seeing how easy or difficult it would be to cull a few out.

I too caught a number of rainbow last year with carp sticking out of their mouths.
Old 03-15-2016, 12:39 PM

It is amazing how well these particular fish are doing in Alberta. Like others mentioned, if they can stick to water bodies that aren't linked to other water systems it wouldn't be so bad but since they have moved to larger rivers in southern Alberta I think that is troublesome.

Who knows how this will impact the fisheries in Alberta in 20 years, but if the conditions over the last few years are any indications, this won't help the fisheries that are in trouble without this added pest.

So get on out there and keep on fishing!
Old 03-15-2016, 02:06 PM

Introduce 10 000 tiger musky to that lake and we'll be good
Old 03-15-2016, 02:24 PM

FlyTheory, you mean pike or something native to Alberta? Or are you trolling us?
Old 03-15-2016, 03:25 PM

Unfortunately some of the best methods for catching these critters are not permitted in Alberta waters, i.e Chumming! My champion Carping buddy from England hit up Blood late last summer and along with his Daughter hauled 60 of those fat little suckers out in an afternoon...talked with him and had no issue giving me the recipe. Simple 1/4 Oz slip weight rig with small, thin diameter circle hook and for the bait equal parts course corn meal and flour, half of that amount sugar and warm water till it forms a thick dough! Not even sure if that's legit, corn works too but he doesn't like using it when Trout are around. It may take an hour or so but if you have 4-5 guys all using the same bait when a school swings by you'll catch everyone of them, they won't go anywhere! Same rig and technique works for those monsters out at Last Mountain Lake...go gettum!!!
Old 04-12-2016, 11:16 PM

Interesting... the regs reflect a limit change from 5 to 3 at Blood. More interestingly, it appears as though browns and brookies were stocked! I wonder if they're tigers. Anyone been out there recently?
Old 04-13-2016, 12:27 AM

It looks like I'll be using my bowfishing gear after all in Alberta. I've been missing it horribly. If you like hunting, and fishing... You'll be hooked. Pretty frustrating to just watch carp swim right past your bait when just fishing. If you can see them, it's getting yanked out with an arrow!
Old 04-13-2016, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowhntr4life View Post
It looks like I'll be using my bowfishing gear after all in Alberta. I've been missing it horribly. If you like hunting, and fishing... You'll be hooked. Pretty frustrating to just watch carp swim right past your bait when just fishing. If you can see them, it's getting yanked out with an arrow!
You realize these carp are generally less than 12 in long, right? They're not the huge grass carp found in Manitoba and Ontario.
Old 04-13-2016, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhutter View Post
You realize these carp are generally less than 12 in long, right? They're not the huge grass carp found in Manitoba and Ontario.
Sure do. I can shoot Texas Gar out of the water with a fish diameter of 2"-3"? It's like shooting at a large underwater pencil. "Aim small, miss small".

These would be challenging, but I'm up for it, capable, and able. I've been bowfishing since 12. It's a riot! Hopefully we can kill all these suckers before they get as large as the carp out east!
Old 04-14-2016, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foshizzle13 View Post
FlyTheory, you mean pike or something native to Alberta? Or are you trolling us?
I was being facetious, I'd say even pike wont be able to eat everything.
Old 08-26-2020, 09:06 PM

Default Hey guys. Anyone been there recently? How is it going there?

Hey guys. Anyone been there recently? How is it going there?
Old 08-26-2020, 09:17 PM

There lots of carp in the silverado community pond in Calgary if anyone in the area wants to have a look. At first and last light the water usually is boiling with risers.
Old 08-26-2020, 09:31 PM

I have to say there is no way to get rid of Prussian carp from Alberta water, like Red Deer River is full of those guys however no bait allowed to fish them. As far as I knew they are pretty much everywhere near Calgary, Red Deer, Lethbridge, and Edmonton.
Old 08-28-2020, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lxiaob View Post
I have to say there is no way to get rid of Prussian carp from Alberta water, like Red Deer River is full of those guys however no bait allowed to fish them. As far as I knew they are pretty much everywhere near Calgary, Red Deer, Lethbridge, and Edmonton.
you should be able to catch them on a worm imitation fly. or go downstream where you can use real bait and fill your boots they are everywhere now

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 08-28-2020, 01:14 PM

A recent study has found that some fertilized carp eggs can survive a mallard duck's digestive tract. When mallards poop viable carp eggs, they can be transferred to virtually any body of water in the province. The % of carp eggs that survive 'going through' a duck is extremely low, but given the number of fish eggs ingested by ducks, it doesn't take long to infest new waters.
Old 08-28-2020, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
A recent study has found that some fertilized carp eggs can survive a mallard duck's digestive tract. When mallards poop viable carp eggs, they can be transferred to virtually any body of water in the province. The % of carp eggs that survive 'going through' a duck is extremely low, but given the number of fish eggs ingested by ducks, it doesn't take long to infest new waters.
what did it says about perch eggs? Pretty sure the birds have been stocking ponds and lakes for a long time.
Old 08-29-2020, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeman06 View Post
what did it says about perch eggs? Pretty sure the birds have been stocking ponds and lakes for a long time.
The study only covered carp & prussian carp eggs. Not perch eggs.

I know that waterfowl transfer scuds (freshwater shrimp) around. Adult scuds try to nestle into breast & belly feathers, get caught in feather fibres, and move around with the birds.
Old 08-29-2020, 10:23 AM

Can pursain carp be orange like gold fish. I ask because in a local storm pond I have been seeing silver fish I thought were minnows but yesterday I saw a few orange ones mixed in.
Old 08-29-2020, 11:31 AM

I was fishing at bloodindian lake it is horrible so many carp took over lake I think they should drain lake and poison it and start all over can't even catch a trout anymore people go to lake to camp and fish and cannot even get anything just carp
Old 08-29-2020, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackalope View Post
I was fishing at bloodindian lake it is horrible so many carp took over lake I think they should drain lake and poison it and start all over can't even catch a trout anymore people go to lake to camp and fish and cannot even get anything just carp
They definitely need to stop wasting are premium fish stocks on that lake. The browns , Brookies and tigers need to go elsewhere.
Old 08-31-2020, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing View Post
They definitely need to stop wasting are premium fish stocks on that lake. The browns , Brookies and tigers need to go elsewhere.
I don't believe they stocked brookies and tigers there this year, but I believe they waited until September of last year to stock them.

Blood is still a great lake, but it sure took a hit from the carp.
Old 08-31-2020, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardiacCowboy View Post
Can pursain carp be orange like gold fish. I ask because in a local storm pond I have been seeing silver fish I thought were minnows but yesterday I saw a few orange ones mixed in.
Prussians are essentially wild goldfish, but I'm not aware of them being orange in the wild. I wouldn't be surprised if it could happen, but it would be a bit of an anomaly. It's more than likely that the orange ones you saw were actual goldfish.
Old 08-31-2020, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinelakeperch View Post
I don't believe they stocked brookies and tigers there this year, but I believe they waited until September of last year to stock them.

Blood is still a great lake, but it sure took a hit from the carp.
They did stock over 80% of the provinces tigers in their last year to feed the pelicans .
Old 09-02-2020, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeman06 View Post
Studies show only people move perch...not birds.

Think about it. In the millions of years and even last 10 thousand years...perch weren’t moved by birds...now all of a sudden just in the last 10 years...all of a sudden the birds started doing it.

Nope. Zero plausibility.

Bucket brigade.

https://www.pnas.org/content/117/27/15397

Take this study with a huge grain of salt. It take a certain number of eggs to have a chance to create a viable population. This study found 0.2% of eggs survived. Eggs were FORCE FED to ducks. Not a natural food source. Very unnatural and just someone looking for grant money.

Perch eggs are very inedible. https://thefisheriesblog.com/2017/02...ch-egg-skeins/
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin