Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-15-2018, 02:39 PM

Default Winter hunting boot recommendations

I am looking for a new pair of winter hunting boots and any recommendations would be helpful. I want something very warm for non-active activities like ice fishing or calling coyotes.
Old 01-15-2018, 02:49 PM

Google “muck boots”
Old 01-15-2018, 02:55 PM

I use the Cabela's Trans Alaskan 11 and have never been cold. They aren't horrible for walking but take some getting use to. They have a very thick sole which I believe is the key for warm feet. I see they have a new model out (Trans Alaskan 111) but I don't know if better or worse. The Sask Pack Boots are similar in camo.
Old 01-15-2018, 03:22 PM

i wear Sorels. not meant for hiking, but grest for ice fishing ot stand hunting

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/67759...acier-xt-boots
Old 01-15-2018, 03:25 PM

Sorel Glaciers if you can find them. Wear a Bama sock with them and it’s a tough combo to beat. I also have a Cabela’s PAC Boot that are pretty solid but I’d suggest buying them based on a size with a liner and heavy sock on so you can play with sock combos as I’ve found it really dictates foot temp based on activity performed.
Old 01-15-2018, 07:38 PM

Pac boots are the way to go. Baffin and Kamik make some rated for minus 100 and I recently bought the Cabelas Trans Alaska 111 boot and so far it has been good but haven't tested it in really cold yet. When picking a pac boot take the pac out of the boot and try it on. That way you can tell if it encompasses your foot properly. I bought a pair that felt like a perfect fit but toes got cold on cold days. I was wearing two pair of socks and sometimes when 30 below I'd put a foot warmer in between the two socks ( as they are not supposed to go directly on skin). Then one day out I got cold toes just wearing a big heavy wool sock and put the warmer in the boot and put my foot in. Couldn't feel it in the boot and thought I must of missed but couldn't find it in the snow. Turns out it was in the boot and there was a space in front of my toes where it was sitting. The space of air was why my toes were getting cold as it was too much area for it to keep warm.
Old 01-15-2018, 07:45 PM

Muck Arctic Pro. Worn them while skinning a bull in -37 with a wind. Wasn't dressed heavily either. 2 medium weight base layers, jeans, tshirt and a couple of hoodies. Sleeves rolled up to my elbows. Was plenty warm.
Old 01-15-2018, 08:29 PM

Baffin or Sorel for non-active like you describe.
Old 01-15-2018, 08:34 PM

Acton Mukluk -30 and colder

Any decent Pac boot -10 to -30

YMMV
Old 01-15-2018, 08:39 PM

I am very active outside during the winter - snow removal
I wear adult Bog's there $99.00 at UFA, I find the
awesome
Old 01-15-2018, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lou View Post
Sorel Glaciers if you can find them. Wear a Bama sock with them and it’s a tough combo to beat. I also have a Cabela’s PAC Boot that are pretty solid but I’d suggest buying them based on a size with a liner and heavy sock on so you can play with sock combos as I’ve found it really dictates foot temp based on activity performed.
x2

I've had Sorel Glaciers my whole life.
Current pair I've had 14 years now. These were made in Canada -- China has since taken over manufacturing. I've worn them a ton, and still on the original set of liners. Never once had cold feet -- hunting, ice fishing, snowmobiling. Good socks are key, as is ensuring the liners are always removed to dry out properly. They suck for walking long distances, but otherwise amazing.
Old 01-15-2018, 10:12 PM

Another Vote for Sorel Glaciers, My dad has a pair that are over 22 years old. He generally finds them too warm to wear so they've seen limited use.
Old 01-16-2018, 06:34 AM

I have worn Sorel glaciers for years now.. Original liners still. The uppers are not water resistant like they used to be and are saggy now. Still warm but time to retire them.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 01-16-2018, 09:40 AM

Solomon Tundra Pro. Best winter boots I have ever owned. Comfortable, light weight, waterproof and have built in attachment points for snowshoes if needed. Wore them on a 3 day winter camp/hunting trip with average daytime temperatures around -20 to -25. They have a comfort rating of -40 I believe, and are great for hiking. Pricey, about $280, but worth every dime. They aren't camo, but who cares.

Last edited by 10aciousB; 01-16-2018 at 09:43 AM. Reason: Correcting product reference
Old 01-16-2018, 09:44 AM

Stay away from muck boots if your not moving around.
Old 01-16-2018, 12:23 PM

I don't have them anymore but when I was trapping and ice fishing lots I wore good fleece lined moose hide mukluks. I never had the qiviut socks, only wool socks. Never got cold feet.

Get a pair of *qiviut socks and good fleece lined moose hide mukluks. Get a pair of low rubber boots for over the mukluks. You'll never get cold feet. (Even buffalo wool socks are warmer than sheep wool.)

*Qiviut is the soft under wool from muskox. 8 times warmer than wool. Not cheap. About 250 to 300 a pair.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 01-16-2018, 12:28 PM

I have been using Irish Setter Elk Trackers for a few years now and am happy with them. Warm and comfortable enough to put miles under foot day in and day out. They are full leather so some extra care sealing them is required. I am partial to a full leather upper myself, so I don't mind the extra care to seal them.
Old 01-16-2018, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake slayer View Post
Stay away from muck boots if your not moving around.

I agree with this also with my feet. I have Grubs too and find them a bit warmer than the Arctic Mucks, but no matter what socks, insoles, or bama sock combo they are nowhere near as warm as my pacs when one sits. Wear them lots though if I am moving around, and for sitting if it doesn't get down to minus double digits.
Old 01-16-2018, 08:51 PM

Crocs and wool socks.
Old 01-17-2018, 01:54 AM

Default winter boots

Pretty tough to beat a pair of Cabela's Trans Alaska III boots for warmth. The sole is about 3" thick, so they'll take a bit to get used to but when you're standing out on the ice fishing for 8-12 hours in -20 to -30 weather I don't think you're gonna find anything warmer. Best winter boot out there IMO.
Old 01-17-2018, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandHeart View Post
Acton Mukluk -30 and colder

Any decent Pac boot -10 to -30

YMMV
If your looking for boots for non-active activities like ice fishing or coyote calling consider the Acton Chimo winter boot.
Old 01-17-2018, 05:55 PM

The chimo is what I called a mukluk. Two sets of duffel socks, two sets.or French drains and some Watson -40 socks and you are good to go into the 40's. I never found a warmer boot for standing around.

Tags
boots, hunting, ice fishing, winter